I dont understand

Options
I went to the gym last night. I was on the treadmill for 10 minutes and I was already getting bored. I dont get it. I usually am on there for 40 minutes. Im worried about me staying focused. Any ideas what to so ect....

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Try a different machine. Do something different. I constantly change what I am doing to keep from getting bored.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello could you try a different exercise for a week swap it up use the cross trainer rowing machine bike etc?
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bring music!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Change it up. Sounds like you're bored. It happens. Find something new you like to do at the gym. Then when you get bored of that change it up again.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Get thee outside!

I think it was one of the commandments.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Mix it up. I got bored of P90x, so I switched to Insanity. Then I got bored of Insanity and bought an elliptical....Now I just hybrid them all so I don't get unmotivated. You have to switch it up sometimes! Variety is the spice of life!
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I bring my Ipad and listen to music and read, or I watch a movie. It makes the time fly.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I change what I do constantly, because I always get bored! And I totally agree to bring music...I'd die without mine :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, machines bore me.
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!
  • Granny1227
    Options
    Take a magazine or book and read while on the treadmill. Time will pass by quickly!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The only thing. Is that its a small gym. So they don't have a whole lot to choose from. I us the treadmill for 40minutes and then elliptical for 20 minutes. Then do weights. They do have a spinning bike but no classes or dvd for it.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    MUSIC!!!!! I go on my elliptical at home with my iPod on and a movie on my tv to watch (but not listen to) I need the upbeat music to keep moving but I need something to watch as well. Even when I went to a gym I always had my music and they had tvs so I was set! Never bored! I can't read and go on ellipticals or treadmills, but do read when I go on a bike.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I switch up the machines, sometimes I bring a book & read, that really makes the time fly! Sometimes I download a TV show on my phone & watching that makes time pass quickly too!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Do intervals on the treadmill of speed and incline. You could walk sideways and backwards too to switch things up and that also uses different muscles which is good.

Also, 40 minutes can be a long time. Do shorter workouts with HIIT.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I get days like that too, where I just can't stand to be on that machine any longer. I'm not tired, I'm just so bored with this movement.
    So I move to a different one, from the bike to the elliptical, or to the treadmill, or walk laps on the track, or even go down and attempt to do some weight lifting.
  • LilyVi
    LilyVi Posts: 8
    Options
    Try bringing your music (also change your playlist around. Listening to the same songs over can get boring really quick) or watch something on the television (NCIS is always on!). Also, give yourself a challenge by changing the resistance and going at difference paces!
  • dianaskin
    Options
    Do intervals on the treadmill of speed and incline. You could walk sideways and backwards too to switch things up and that also uses different muscles which is good.

Also, 40 minutes can be a long time. Do shorter workouts with HIIT.

AGREED! Intervals make it interesting. Try to do something different for each song. I.e. Track 1 is warm up. Track 2 do 1 minute fast walking (or jogging if you're up to it) and then 1 minute regular speed and then back to another 1 minute of being faster and 1 minute regular speed, etc etc. Track 3 do a hill climb (i.e. increase the incline by 1 or 2 every minute and go back to the base incline after 3 increases). Track 4 try to do the speed thing again. Track 5 super hill climb where you keep increasing until you can't increase no more!. Then mix it up. This way, you are at a higher intensity and don't have to do it so long!

GOOD LUCK!