I hate to cook and/or prepare meals...help!

Options
I guess the subject pretty much sums it all up...i HATE to cook...I HATE to prepare meals! This, of course, has led to a "grab and go" lifestyle which in turn has led to me being over weight. The funny thing about it, is that I LOVE the healthy meals. I love cooked or steamed veggies...I love any type of fish! But it's just easier to stick something frozen in the microwave. How can I get out of this? advice? suggestions?

Replies

• cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind spending the money and don't care about the amount of packaging waste you could always buy pre-cut fresh or steam in the bag individual packages of veggies. They're everywhere now.

I like to wash and cut all my whole veggies right when I get home from the store so I can't use 'lazy' as an excuse to eat out. Totally my problem too!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Maybe spend a little time every week cutting up veggies and healthy foods so that they are ready to throw in the steamer or grab? I always have lots of fruit on hand too so when I am craving something I make my self grab an apple. You can do this!!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much the same way but once I joined this site, I figured out I could have more food for the calories than pre pracked frozen meals so I started cooking again. I cook more than 1 meal portion and then freeze portions for later. It is a lot cheaper and I don't have to cook everyday. Good Luck
  • julesg33
    Options
    I am right there with you!! I'd much rather stick something in the microwave than take the time to make it. Something my boyfriend and I have done on Saturday nights are sit down and plan what we are making throughout the week and WHO is making it. I cook on Mondays and Wednesdays, he on Tuesday and Thursdays, and we go to dinner on Fridays. Saturdays are always hit or miss due to work schedules, and Sundays we eat dinner with my parents. This has helped tremendously! Not only do we know what we want to eat, it helps give more variety during the week. Hope that helps!!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    It sounds dumb, but get a George Foreman Grill. I cook a bag of chicken at a time. You could do the same with fish if that's your preferred protein.

Plug it in, let it get hot, put the food on, flip once (maybe), take it off, unplug it, wipe it down after it's cool.

If you do chicken just put it in a bag with some marinade then throw it on there with some tongs and you're done. As for steaming veggies, do the steamfresh frozen ones. I have an entire bag of brocolli since the local grocery store had them 10/$10 so I stocked up.

Spend some money on some good seaoning, and mixed seasonings so it takes the drudge out of figuring out or balancing flavors.

If you want more ideas let me know, but that's what I do.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Have you tried crockpot "cooking"? I don't have enough time at night to prepare meals, so I let the crockpot do all the cooking for me during the week. You can even throw in frozen chicken breasts and vegetables........so easy!
  • socialite1
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to be really difficult to loose weight eating out and consuming large amounts of processed foods. What do you hate about cooking/preparing meals? Is it the prep? Many grocery stores have items already prepped (i.e. diced onions and peppers, pre-seasoned meats, etc.). Is it the time in the kitchen? Use a slow cooker. Is it the clean-up?? Well, I have no advice for that bc I hate that part too. LOL...maybe get a maid if you can afford one! :-)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Maybe spend a little time every week cutting up veggies and healthy foods so that they are ready to throw in the steamer or grab? I always have lots of fruit on hand too so when I am craving something I make my self grab an apple. You can do this!!

Back in college, I was taught in food nutrition that the longer vegetables are left cut before being cooked/eaten - the more nutrients are lost.... and thesame goes for leaving vegetables in water.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this, now I actually enjoy cooking. I found a cookbook that healthy meals that they said were for beginner cooks, and were ready in 30 mins Max. I started by making 1 meal a week (which sounds pathetic but it was a start) and now I make all my meals, and when I make them I always make extra so I can package it and freeze it so on days when I am on the run, I can just pop my pre-made frozen meal in the microwave and go. Crockpots are great too, as you can throw everything in, go to work, come home and its done.

I never buy veggies I have to prep - its the worst job in my opinion, so I buy everything ready to go that way I don't have to spend extra time peeling, and washing, and cutting.

You have to be willing to spend some time in the kitchen but it is worth it.
  • ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but here in Austin, Texas we have a place called my fit foods, the food is made fresh never frozen. If you don't mind spending the money you could look for a place like that where you live or you can order foods that are pre-made on line.
  • Tiffany1221
    Tiffany1221 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am feel the same as you. I hate to prep, cook, and clean up! But I guess it is just something we HAVE to do if we want to eat healthy and know exactly what we are eating.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Have you tried crockpot "cooking"? I don't have enough time at night to prepare meals, so I let the crockpot do all the cooking for me during the week. You can even throw in frozen chicken breasts and vegetables........so easy!

Yes, this. Last night I put in frozen stew meat, baby carrots, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove and 2 celery stalks and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put the crock pot in the fridge. This morning, I took it out, plugged it in and left for work. All in all, maybe 5 minutes getting this meal ready. When I get home today, the main part will be done. I'll throw some brown rice on to cook with another veggie or 2. Prep time for meals like this is nothing and it tastes SO good. I do the same thing with roast or chicken. They don't even have to be thawed.

To be quite honest, it is all about what you want out of it. I understand not wanting to cook, etc, etc, but let's be honest. Would you rather be fat and miserable or take 5-10 minutes to prepare a decent meal and be healthy and energetic? I would "sacrifice" that time. You just make it a part of your routine.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Chicken filets are easy to season and cook. Birdseye steamfresh veges in a bag take a few minutes in the microwave. Think cut chops cook really quickly on the stove. Salmon is a great microwavaable fish. Find a cookbook for lazy cooks, there are quite a few out there. Few ingredients, fast results. Most people hate to cook. I don't mind cooking, its all the pots and pans I get stuck with that I hate.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Girl, did you write this thing or did I?!?!

I, too, hate to cook. It's such a bad thing, particularly for my kids, but for me, too! After work and kids' homework, the last thing I want to do is cook, too!

I feel ya, but I'm pretty convinced I'm going to have to get over it already if I want to make any changes :-/

Just know you're not alone! At all! :smile:
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It is easier to hit the drive thru than to plan, shop for, and prepare a meal.

It is easier to sit on the couch and watch TV instead of go for a run.

For me, I'm learning to value my health over convenience--and it is a learning process, as I've had unhealthy habits most of my life.

I've found that I actually enjoy coming up with and preparing healthy meals...almost as much as I like eating them. It's fun learning and trying new things!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Make it work for you! Buy a large package of chicken breasts, season them & grill them on Sunday and freeze half, refrigerate half. Pull them out as you need them, add your veggies or salad & there you go! I buy Joseph's low carb flax & whole wheat pita's, Sabra Spinach & artichoke hummus & tuna or deli turkey breast and make an on-the-fly sandwich with 1 tbsp hummus topped with a whole small can of tuna (drained well) or 2 slices of turkey...throw some lettuce & tomato on it, fold in half and eat!

Try low fat ricotta on rye crisp topped with tomatoes...peanut butter on rice cakes....cottage cheese with fruit.
    There are lots of ways to "not cook" and still eat healthily. All of these ideas take less than 3 minutes to make...you are worth 3 minutes!!
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have gotten some great advice from the great people here on MFP. I do eat a fevv of the lean boxed meals,but they are FULL of sodium. I can't stress enough that even after you meet your goal this is still about a life change.If you go back to the vvay you ate before all the hard vvork is gone. I buy large bags of veg,stir fry. I also buy the fish in bags they are individually vvrapped.. just get one out add some butter spray,lemon,and bake. You can get the Uncle Bens vvild rice in bag ready to heat. I think there are three servings in one bags.
    The grill idea for the chicken is great....then they are ready vvhen you are...you can use them vvith veg,make a chicken sandvvich, Love this bread..http://www.oroweat.com/thins/. You can also cook up some pasta(vvheat is best) and I love the tofu pasta. Pasta sauce(Organic is the vvay) add your chicken breast and some lo fat cheese.
    Make up tuna salad ahead of time...this is great stuffed in a tomato.
    I can go on and on lol. message me if you like anytime. Also the best site to get that keeps you updated on nevv foods and recipes.
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/
    Best of luck, southern sister
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    WOW ..I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE...BUT READING ALL THE COMMENTS MADE ME GET ALOT OF IDEAS ..SO THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS !!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but here in Austin, Texas we have a place called my fit foods, the food is made fresh never frozen. If you don't mind spending the money you could look for a place like that where you live or you can order foods that are pre-made on line.

I've seen that place here in Houston, but haven't tried it. How's the food? I thought about it for lunch, but it would be too expensive for me to feed the whole family with my fit foods. Let me know what you get and how it is.
  • KBall2013
    KBall2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for all of the advice!! Greatly appreciated!!

PS...sorry i'm just thank you all now...i had no idea that anyone even replied...still kinda new :)