This not that...

Options
Found this all very interesting and thought I would share!

For every 1/2 cup of oil replaced with applesauce, you will save 900 calories and 110 grams of fat. Replacing the same amount of butter with applesauce reduces the calories by 850 and the fat by 91 grams, of which a whopping 56 grams are saturated fat (the "bad" fat) and the sodium is reduced by 925 mg. (that's like 23 diet cokes people! lol)

Here are some additional "savings plans": Replace 1 cup of cream with fat free evaporated milk and save 600 calories and 84 grams of fat!

Use reduced-fat cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese, and you'll bank 310 calories and 37 grams of fat!

Switch from regular to fat-free cream cheese and save even more-560 calories and 80 grams of fat!

Use 1 cup of reduced fat sour cream in place of regular sour cream and save 160 calories and 20 grams of fat!
If you use fat-free sour cream instead, you'll save 250 calories and 37 fat grams!

Source:Taste of home Fall Baking Cookbook nov. 2010

Of course out of this magazine I found a recipe for which I have no intention substituting any fat/calories :) Happy Baking All!

Replies

• Tiffany1221
    Tiffany1221 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But who eats/cooks with a 1/2 C of oil? When I'm cooking, I average a 1-2 tablespoons -- for the meal... for two.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bump.... thanks for the info.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    But who eats/cooks with a 1/2 C of oil?

Baking! Applesauce for oil isn't going to work for cooking, I can't imagine trying to carmelize onions in applesauce :p

I love baking and I prefer to use applesauce (natural, apples and water only) because I think it makes the cake much more mosit.

Also, since the applesauce is sweet, you can cut down on the sugar used. I would never use sweetner in baking, but being able to take a couple tablespoons of sugar out of a cake recipe can cut down on cals nicely :)

Though, fat free cream cheese and other cheeses taste like crap and bake horribly!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    But who eats/cooks with a 1/2 C of oil?

1/2 C oil is not uncommon in cake/brownie recipes. Thanks for the info!!!
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks, that's good to know
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    But who eats/cooks with a 1/2 C of oil? When I'm cooking, I average a 1-2 tablespoons -- for the meal... for two.

If you make a cake mix for someone's birthday, it take's 1/2 cup of oil... That's what I do, that way I can have a slice of cake too!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how do you stir fry in apple sauce?!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    how do you stir fry in apple sauce?!

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Doh! I stopped baking nearly a year ago. That's why I couldn't think of anything that would use 1/2 C of oil/butter. I'm a baked goods junkie, so I don't bake anymore.