Hard to reach 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• GRINWITHIN
    GRINWITHIN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I could give you the details of my wight gain/loss history and the things that triggered the change.. But essentially the problem of every weight gain has been an erratic eating schedule and not eating enough.

There comes a point that the body will go into a starvation mode and hold onto calories, convert them into fat rather than burn them. I actually gain weight when I do not hit the minimum intake.
  • nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Apparently, my post has made some people upset. Not necessarily in this thread, but on some others. Let me clarify my reason for this post...

I NEVER counted calories before. Never looked at them at all. Therefore, I assumed I was eating something like 3000 calories a day! When I found this site and plugged in my food for the day (normal eating habits) I had about 1150. I was very surprised. As I said before, we eat natural and from scratch foods as much as we can. That's not saying I don't have store bought cereal or something, it's just healthy stuff when we do. So when I eat apples, carrots, and salads with different greens, my calories don't just jump up to 1200. The "eat a snickers bar" comments are inappropriate since this is a place where everyone is trying to get healthy. Yes, I could eat a candy bar or sundae and reach my goal but that really defeats the point of me being here.

Why do I need to lose weight if I can't reach 1200 calories? Good question! How does eating well and chasing a toddler not make me stick thin? Having a baby 21 months ago put my body in a slump. I wasn't trying to lose my baby weight yet I was able to lose about half easily. Not trying, however, made me gain about 10 extra pounds since then.

So hopefully that clears things up a bit for the ones who get annoyed by posts like mine. I will definitely be limiting how much I post and be using my time and energy getting to my HEALTHY goal.

ETA: Thank you for those of you who gave me ideas of healthy calorie packed foods. I will definitely look into them!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that you are over weight and can't eat 1200 calories......obviously you could before. So what's up?
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    (Side note) We eat natural, homemade food as much as possible so processed foods are not a problem.
    Are you sure you're counting them correctly? Homemade is a little tougher to factor in.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you work out? I wish I had that problem...trying to reach 1200 LOL!! I know because I work out 5 or 6 times a week I am constantly hungry, so I eat every 3 to 4 hours.
  • nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently started working out regularly. I used to do the occasional elliptical or something. I know when you work out you need to eat even more calories so I was worried about the fact that I wasn't even able to make the minimum. I know I'll be eating a bit more too once I get into a routine. I think I'll just keep eating when I'm hungry. I believe your body tells you everything you need to know!