Breakfast

Options
Does everyone here eat breakfast? I know it is important but I am not a breakfast person.
Breakfast is suppose to jumpstart your metabolism. I just walke a mile but have not eaten aything yet today. Just a cup of coffee.
Any suggestions?

Diane

Replies

• melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    99% of the time i do, the rare occasion I don't is because i am too busy at work and before i realize it it is lunch time!
  • hazysusan
    Options
    I run before I eat anything, which I've heard is bad, but I eat some dry cereal as I commute to work.
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a breakfast person either. Very seldomly do I eat breakfast!
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't do anything magical for your metabolism... That's a myth that's been propagated by so many people, but there's really no science behind it. I do one form of intermittent fasting (there are many forms), so I don't eat anything until at least noon.

If you're interested in finding out more about IF, or about what the science actually shows in regards to metabolism, Google: intermittent fasting, Eat Stop Eat, Fast Five, or Lean Gains.
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If i work out in the morning, I do it before I eat. I have also heard that that may not be wise. I don't eat until I get to work in the morning. I have started make a piece of toast, slicing up a hardboiled egg to put on it with some cheese for breakfast.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i usually drink a breakfast shake then run an hour later, i find it hard to eat before i run or ill throw up, running doesn't come easily to me, i know you're supposed to eat a big breakfast but i usually eat something small then have a bigger lunch, its worked for me so far
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Almost always (of course today I was in a rush and just had a cup of milk). I make it to 1pm without realizing it when I eat a good breakfast (esp egg white omelette).
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein smoothie because when I sit and eat anything I feel sleepy, heavy, and run down all day.

Just milk or water, protein powder, fruit, and whatever else you want to throw in there like fiber (psyllium) or some people put greens. I always add sugar free coffee syrups like vanilla or almond to make it really tasty, and I like bananas and frozen strawberries or blueberries.

It's fast, filling, and light.

But really you do whatever works for you. :smile:
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight

Make sure its something healthy. When we eat unhealthy foods we crave them more often and eat more. and have less energy to work out. so be sure to eat something healthy so it gives you energy for the day and to work out

GOOD LUCK XOXOX
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I had a banana with peanut butter on it for breakfast today. I also eat Honey Nut Cheerios or Go Lean crunch for breakfast, or Greek Yogurt and fruit.

It's the hardest meal for me to think of things to eat. I don't like egg whites or Egg Beaters.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    I eat breakfast every morning. I usually have oatmeal because it's great for you and keeps you full longer. I know some people say eat a big breakfast, but my trainer told me (which really makes sense) that you need to eat 5-6 small meals a day each at around the same calorie intake. I'm not 100% but I would assume this is because you aren't throwing a bunch of calories into your body to burn all at once, because I think you can only burn so many calories in an hour so the less calories you eat at a time, more frequently, you are giving your body something to burn. Like I said I don't know if that's for sure why but what he said makes sense and has been working for me!
  • Timdog57
    Options
    Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight

This is actually a myth, and there is no science to back this up. Once you dig into the science you find that the oppisite is actually true. Fasts of 16-22 hours create ideal conditions for burning fat, and do fantastic things for hunger and metabolism. They also do great thing for insulin levels, and heart health.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    So your telling me i should skip breakfast? It is a fact that we have less energy when we skip meals. Having less energy is really not a good thing. It can make us over eat when we finally do eat and because of Starvation mode it can make it harder to loose weight.

I gave my opinion and you gave yours, we don't have to agree.

Take care

xoxo
  • Timdog57
    Options
    So your telling me i should skip breakfast?

Well, I'm saying that there's a fair bit of science that seems to point toward skipping meals being a good thing for you. If you're interested in reading a good introduction to these concepts, check this article out:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • jernigan51
    Options
    I didn't used to be a breakfast person either, but since I joined MFP i eat oatmeal, or a banana and yogurt for breakfast. Now, I feel like I'm starving during the weekdays if I DON'T eat! You can keep it light, just give you body something to start the day! :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Almost always. Oatmeal Mon-Thu (steel cut, 1/4 c dry) with 10g brown sugar. Some almonds or pecans if I'm really hungry. Eggs for the rest, though I might skip Sat breakfast.

The problem with skipping breakfast (for me and mine, anyway) is that I don't have enough energy for the morning, and then I get too hungry and binge at lunch.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options

Well, I'm saying that there's a fair bit of science that seems to point toward skipping meals being a good thing for you. If you're interested in reading a good introduction to these concepts, check this article out:

Thanks i do like to read and would like to understand more of what your talking about because i dont agree and would like to understand so thanks for the link and take care
  • Timdog57
    Options

Thanks i do like to read and would like to understand more of what your talking about because i dont agree and would like to understand so thanks for the link and take care

You are welcome! This guy's style is a bit rough, but everything he states is based in science and he backs it up with scientific studies. For me it was a good introduction to the concept of intermittent fasting.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to eat breakfast during the week because I have to be at work by 7:00 AM and just can't eat that early. When I started working out before work in the morning I would feel sick if I didn't eat anything afterward so now I have a protein shake after I work out (because I still can't eat much at 5:30 AM) and then I have a little something else (and egg and a can of V-8 and maybe some plain yogurt) in the office around 8:30 - 9:00.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you don't like breakfast, don't eat it. I don't. Breakfast does nothing to your metabolism. Eating breakfast won't make you burn more calories than if you were to skip it. That is a myth. All a good breakfast does is prevent snacking before lunch. Snacks are generally unhealthier than a breakfast, so it's beneficial to many people to have breakfast rather than snacks through the morning. But if you're happy sticking to healthy snacks, or maybe not eating at all before lunch, then there is no real benefit to having breakfast. If you don't want it, don't force yourself to eat it. Generally I might have a piece of fruit at around 11am if I'm getting peckish, but often the first thing I eat is lunch. I find skipping breakfast gives me more calories to play with for the rest of the day, so I can eat slightly unhealthier things than I would ordinarily be able to. This means I'm not depriving myself of foods that I love, so I feel better about my diet. If I had to force myself to eat breakfast I'd have to eat less at lunch or dinner, and I'd be less happy with the food I eat.