New Year, New You Week 1 Mini Challenge

Options
I can't believe we have finally started our journey. I don't know about you all, but that wait seemed to take forever. I'm glad we went ahead and got going! I'll enjoy having the extra week for our challenge. We CAN do this! Our group is over 70 members strong now, and still growing...how can we fail with that kind of support?

In order to help get us through the next 13 weeks, we're going to do weekly mini-challenges. Obviously, it's not required to do it, but some of us need the extra push.

When I asked for ideas, the first couple of responses involved food, so our first mini challenge will involve healthier eating. Your challenge for the week is to make one new recipe for you and/or your family. Try something new. Something you've seen that looks great to you but you haven't tried. It can be a casserole, entree, etc and it can be breakfast, lunch or dinner...it just has to be a healthy recipe. When you make your recipe, go ahead and share it here. Maybe seeing different recipes can inspire us to try new things! At the end of the challenge, I will make a document and put all of the recipes in one place for anyone who wants it. We'll have our own little New Year, New You Cookbook!

Good luck and healthy eating!!!

Replies

• Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea to share the recipes! I'm going to try out a recipe for chickpea and corn fritters I found a while ago but haven't got around to making. I'll post the recipe along with how they turned out after i've made them :)
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    great page, i can't wait to get some new meal ideas
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I still haven't been able to locate the spreadsheet.
  • MaManeenCal
    MaManeenCal Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So- I am assuming everyone is going to be posting recipes for dinner so I'm going to start by posting a recipe for lunch

VERY SIMPLE- Very filling- and delicious - Less then 200 Calories!

Tumaro's - Multigrain - Low In Carbs - Gourmet Tortillas, 1 tortilla
    Cedar's - Garlic Lovers Hommus- Simply Delicious Variety, 2 tbsp
    Butterball Thin Sliced Turkey Breast - Lunch Meat, 1 slice
    Armour 1877 - Virginia Baked Ham 1 slice
    Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine - Romaine Lettuce, 1/2 cup

So spread hummus on the wrap, put one slice of turkey meat, one slice of ham, and then romaine lettuce in the middle- close it and enjoy!
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'll have to see what I can come up with. I don't typically do the cooking in my house (I'm lucky enough to have a hubby who loves to cook :blushing: :bigsmile: ) but once in a while I will. Maybe these recipes will inspire me. :bigsmile:
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds Awesome!
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So- I am assuming everyone is going to be posting recipes for dinner so I'm going to start by posting a recipe for lunch

VERY SIMPLE- Very filling- and delicious - Less then 200 Calories!

Tumaro's - Multigrain - Low In Carbs - Gourmet Tortillas, 1 tortilla
    Cedar's - Garlic Lovers Hommus- Simply Delicious Variety, 2 tbsp
    Butterball Thin Sliced Turkey Breast - Lunch Meat, 1 slice
    Armour 1877 - Virginia Baked Ham 1 slice
    Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine - Romaine Lettuce, 1/2 cup

So spread hummus on the wrap, put one slice of turkey meat, one slice of ham, and then romaine lettuce in the middle- close it and enjoy!
    This looks good. I'll have to try it.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Okay, this may sound gross, but it's actually good. I love turkey franks, but didn't want the carbs from the bun so I came up with this.

Serves people: 1 Calories Fat Carbs Protein Fiber Sugar
    Ball Park - Bun Size Smoked White Turkey Franks Fat Free, 1.5 link 68 0 8 9 0 2
    Kraft - Shredded Fat Free Cheddar Cheese, 1/4 Cup (28g) 45 0 2 9 0 0
    Fresh Raw - Plum Tomato, 1 plum tomato (62g) 11 0 2 1 1 2
    Usda - Mild Banana Peppers, 0.5 cup 17 0 3 1 2 1
    Masterfoods - Hot Chilli Sauce, 30 ml (2 tbsp) 30 1 5 0 0 3
    Lettuce-Iceburg/Romaine Mix 2 cups 15 0 0 0 0 0
    Total: 171 1 20 20 3 8
  • bmd1011
    bmd1011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For delicious healthy food recipes try:

www.emilybites.com

and

www.skinnytaste.com

I learned about both of those sites through WW, and they are amazing!
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I still haven't been able to locate the spreadsheet.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoZye0xX8xLgdEtFUFhhX3A1M2tWV01PbmxYVVVMd2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

:)
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For delicious healthy food recipes try:

www.emilybites.com

and

www.skinnytaste.com

I learned about both of those sites through WW, and they are amazing!

I will definitely try these out. I've gotten some pretty healthy alternatives from Hungry Girl as well.
  • Trillian73
    Options
    I tried a new recipe last night that came out great. Pasta and vegetable curry. I'll post the recipe when I have time to get on my computer at home (where the cookbook is). But it was mainly cauliflower, peas, broccoli (or whatever combo of vegetables you want to use), angel hair pasta, all mixed with a homemade curry sauce. Oh and peanuts and cilantro sprinkled on top. :)
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many of you have heard of tumblr, but this is one site I follow that has all kinds of great recipes all under 400 calories per serving and it's broken down into different categories (ie sweets, dinner, lunch, etc.)

http://under400.tumblr.com/

I made chicken baseballs the other day and they were phenomenal! (Mine were a little different as I used real chicken and not the vegan stuff and didn't use butter.)
    http://under400.tumblr.com/post/10939803303/via-food-com-i-believe-vegetarian-chicken
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Trying to mix up my meals and not eat the same old, same old - even though I love what I normally eat. I love almonds and know the mono fats are better for you than the rest but still hate the calories and fat from them. Same thing with almond butter. I'm going to take a break from it and see how it goes. Have been hearing alot about going gluten free, but know I would never be able to do it. Am going to try and cut back on it though as it is said to cause a beer belly look and that's what I have left on me. Did go shopping for new dress pants last night and bought a size 3 and a size 5 in the juniors department. :) NSV moment!!!
  • Trillian73
    Options
    I made another new recipe last night that was awesome. I'll try to remember all the ingredients:

Creamy Cauliflower and Cheese Soup (makes 6 first course servings)

2 cloves garlic
    onion (can't remember how much, as I didn't use it because the kids don't like it)
    12 oz. cauliflower florets
    2 tbsp flour
    1 large Idaho (russet) potato, peeled and cubed
    3 1/2 C vegetable broth
    1/4-1/2 C fat free half and half
    3/4 C reduced fat cheddar
    mace or nutmeg

Saute the onion and garlic in a lightly greased pot. Add flour and cook for a few minutes (I totally forgot to add the flour when I made mine and it was fine.) Add the cauliflower, potato and vegetable broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are cooked. Remove half the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. Puree the remaining vegetables and broth in a food processor or blender. Add back into pot along with reserved vegetables, half and half and cheese. Heat on low until cheese is melted. Sprinkle mace or nutmeg before serving.

I had forgotten to take the chicken out of the freezer that I had planned on making as the entree to go with this, so I needed this to be more of an entree soup, so I added 4 oz. of pasta to it to make it a little more hearty. My girls had another idea as we were eating it...corn would have been really good in it too. :)
  • JMcElrath23
    JMcElrath23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chili

1 lb. Venison or Turkey (Lean) Ground
    1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 can Kidney Beans
    1 can Tomato Paste
    1 can whole Tomatoes
    Crushed Red pepper to taste
    1-2 Tbs Chili Powder to taste
    1 onion diced

Add all ingredients to slow cooker, mix well cook on low 4-5 hours.

blk-exercise.png
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had spaghetti squash for dinner last night at it was so good and simple.

Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds.
    Place on microwave safe plate, open side facing downward, and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure to leave a vent.
    Cook for about 10 minutes.
    Remove from microwave and use a fork to scrap out insides. (Will come out like spaghetti)
    Add sauce. I just use a marinara and add some cheese on top.

Easy and quick to make.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Chili

1 lb. Venison or Turkey (Lean) Ground
    1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 can Kidney Beans
    1 can Tomato Paste
    1 can whole Tomatoes
    Crushed Red pepper to taste
    1-2 Tbs Chili Powder to taste
    1 onion diced

Add all ingredients to slow cooker, mix well cook on low 4-5 hours.

blk-exercise.png

Love turkey chili - have to try this!
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I watched a dvr episode of Hungry Girl last night and found a good treat to try at home. This is good to make just for yourself or the family or an event. Low cal and so many variations came to mind while watching her make it.

2 caramel rice cakes
    1/4 cup fat free whipped topping
    a little cinnamon

Mix the cinnamon into the whipped topping. Spoon ALL onto one rice cake and top with the other. Freeze for an hour and voila! I intend to try with chocolate rice cakes, leaving out the cinnamon.
  • jodiratliff
    Options
    I don't know if I am offically signed up yet, because I don't know how it all works (new to MFP)! Howerver, I want to be and I hope I am so...... Just in case I am I am going to post and if not please tell me what to do so I can be.

Last night I fixed the following reciepe but I used fat free cheddar cheese and added diced red, yellow, orange pepers and green onions! It was great and the kids LOVED it!

Shrimp & Cheddar Grits
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/shrimp_cheddar_grits.html

From EatingWell: May/June 2008
    The South's version of creamy polenta, grits are easy to make on a weeknight—especially when topped with quickly broiled shrimp and scallions. Use the sharpest Cheddar you can find for these cheesy grits. Serve with: Sautéed greens and a tall glass of iced tea.

4 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
    •1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
    •1 1/2 cups water
    •3/4 cup quick grits, (not instant) (see Shopping Tip)
    •1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
    •3/4 cup extra-sharp or sharp Cheddar cheese
    •1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound; see Shopping Tip)
    •1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    •1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    •1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    •1/8 teaspoon salt
    Preparation
    1.Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
    2.Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
    3.Meanwhile, toss shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 356 Calories; 13 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 197 mg Cholesterol; 27 g Carbohydrates; 32 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 428 mg Sodium; 275 mg Potassium