Runners - post run muscle recovery - any suggestions??

Options
Hi just wondered if any runners on here could recommend anything I could eat or drink post runs that would aid muscle recovery?

I am training for my second half marathon at the end Nov & for a couple of three days after my long run my thighs are quite achy & stiff. I do stretch properly & hydrate & have started to take glucosamine tablets. I do try & eat some kind of protein or have a shake within an hour of finishing but had read in various fitness magazines about the recovery benefits of cherry juice. Has anyone ever tried this & found it to help?

Perhaps some of you have found other food, drinks or techniques have helped?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

DF :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I'm wondering if you are missing a few key spots during stretching? I invested in a foam roller after injury occurred and it's a big help. Also, yoga is great for runners. Also glucosamine tablets can take about a year to fully function and benefit from. Chocolate milk has helped. Not sure about cherry juice? Curious.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon this weekend - so I know we are training similar distances right now! :-)

It might be that your quads are weak - most women's are, especially if we sit alot (i.e have a sedentary job or spend lots of time online). The demands of the long run are stressing your quads beyond their strength so you are really pushing them. The long-term best bet is to incorporate strength training a couple of times a week and make sure you are working the quads- do squats, lunges, use the leg press and leg extension machines at a gym, etc.

I've never tried cherry juice as a remedy but it sounds yummy! I use Designer Whey protein after long runs - I can feel my strength come back after having a shake (I mix it with water - don't like the taste in milk, although mixed with plain Greek yogurt, with or without a tablespoon of peanut butter is great too). But I don't know how much that does for the days afterwards. I am usually somewhat sore for a couple of days after a long run - but then, i'm 53. I'm guessing you are somewhat younger
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love p90x results and recovery formula!
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    Chocolate milk during and within 30 minutes of end of workout
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon this weekend - so I know we are training similar distances right now! :-)

It might be that your quads are weak - most women's are, especially if we sit alot (i.e have a sedentary job or spend lots of time online). The demands of the long run are stressing your quads beyond their strength so you are really pushing them. The long-term best bet is to incorporate strength training a couple of times a week and make sure you are working the quads- do squats, lunges, use the leg press and leg extension machines at a gym, etc.

I've never tried cherry juice as a remedy but it sounds yummy! I use Designer Whey protein after long runs - I can feel my strength come back after having a shake (I mix it with water - don't like the taste in milk, although mixed with plain Greek yogurt, with or without a tablespoon of peanut butter is great too). But I don't know how much that does for the days afterwards. I am usually somewhat sore for a couple of days after a long run - but then, i'm 53. I'm guessing you are somewhat younger
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Greengold - I am 43 so not much younger!! Good luck with your HM this weekend!! The lunges & squats sound like a good idea - I could do some in the morning before going to work!!

May also try the chocolate milk perhaps with some promax powder in - have heard other people talk of the powers of chocolate milk!!!

Thanx all for the advise - will keep going & hopefully my quads will get used to it & stop complaining!!! :ohwell:
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Pop about 5 grams of glutamine after long runs for recovery. Then stretch (post run only). Then become very good friends with your foam roller. Lastly, make sure your shoes are worn out and flattened. That will make recovery much tougher. Nice cushioned shoes help. Good luck!