Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feeling so Frustrated

Hi

I have been a yoyo dieter isnce I was 15 years old (now 52) and now I have pre diabetes. I am having such a hard time with loosing weight. I keep starting but I never stay on track. The problem is I am gaining instead of loosing. I need to loose 40 lbs and I need help. I have having a hard time staying on track.

Replies

• mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    You are in the right place. Just hang in here, surround yourself with MFP friends, log what you eat (everything) and try to stay within your goals. Drink plenty of water, do your excercise. And it WILL come off. Good luck on your weight loss journey :flowerforyou:
    Add me if you like :drinker:
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Poor you, try to stay positive, What are your friends and family like? Try to surround yourself with healthy people. I try to now always eat at a table too. Off a plate. No walking and eating, no standing and eating, None in front of the tv or on the sofa. And although I do really like healthy food and exercise a lot I will never eat diet food. Its normally full of crap. Think healthy foods that are looking after your body, not diet foods that often have no nutritional gain, just are low in calories. Good luck
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    I have been yo-yoing for the past four months and completely understand. I sustained an injury and have also been unable to work out the last four months which is extremly frustrating. All I have found so far is that everytime you fall just make sure you get back up again and start over, every day is a new day. It may take several tries to be able to stay committed to changing a lifestyle. I am 50 and have a hard time sticking to what I know is the right lifestyle, old habits are hard to break, but every day I say it will be better if it isnt don't beat yourself up just know that eventually persistence will pay off and Rome wasn't built in a day. Hope this helps.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I would recommed talking to a nutritionist or a trainer that know some things about foods. You want to gain control and keep it. You need to get of the Roller Coster. Balance your foods. Eating all natural non processed foods it the way to go.

Look at it this way if man made it dont eat it or very littl of it
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    I"m sorry you're feeling frustrated...that's a normal feeling when you're trying to lose weight. This is a great site to find support and tips from people who want to lose weight and get healthy! I always feel better after I exercise....it can be as simple as walking around your neighborhood. Try and get some exercise in at least 3 times a week and drink a lot of water (32 oz. is great!). I also try and eat protein at every meal which tends to fill me up and include fruits and veggies throughout the day as snacks. I love the 100 cal. pack almonds for an afternoon snack or protein bar (Luna Bars are my fav!). Feel free to add me as a friend for support....you're already on the right track by joining MFP! Good luck!:smile:
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    You are in the right place! This is coming from a person who couldn't lose a pound if it ran off on its own and now I have lost 80 lbs! You can do it! Add me as a friend if you would like!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I've become a little bit of a zealot... Sorry in advance for all the long-windedness

I'm 49 and have struggle my whole life (I have 3 rail-thin sisters who I never measured up to)
    I'm all about doing this for the long-term. Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as I can maintain.

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

I did have to take a break for a month due to a health scare, but otherwise I kept with the slow and steady approach. Took me 9 months (including the month off) At first I lost at the rate of about 3 lbs per month, but the closer you get to the goal the slower it goes. So be patient and hang in there.

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occassional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occassional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck