First Discouraging Day

Options
I have been on MFP now for about two weeks. I started at 139-140 pounds and I want to make it to about 115-120 by Christmas. Well, I was so proud of myself for making it to 136.4 this past week, but now the scale reads 137.4! A whole pound really!!??

Can someone please help me? I have gotten discouraged before and given up more times than I can count.

Replies

• KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What I have found over the course of my weight loss journey (and previous ones, too) is that those ups and downs are going to happen. My weight can fluctuate as much as 3 lbs in ONE day. So I try not to let a pound or two here and there get me down. What is much more important is the trend over time. If you stick to it, you should see a downward trend, with fluctuations here and there.

Best of luck to you!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly... water, TOM, it will be ok and don't weigh often. You can do it!
  • circuitsix
    Options
    1 lb is not much and can come from anywhere, drinking water before weighing in especially. Also if you are working out it is common to gain a pound or two before you lose. Just stick with it and you will see results.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Your weight will vary 1-2 lbs on some days so don't worry. Just keep logging your calories. MFP is a long-term process but you'll get there....
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Your body has to get used to the change. Your weight will change up and down until it starts to get the message that you are doing this for real.

You may want to work with measurements more than the scale. You may decide to only weigh in once a month. You may decide that your weight loss goal is too big (you don't state what you've set your diet profile at)... There are many factors.

Don't give up after 2 weeks of trying to make a change in your life. If you give up, what do you get? To gain a few more pounds and get frustrated at yourself when you next have the guts to step on the scale (probably because your jeans won't button) and then you'll be looking for another chance to lose the weight. WHY YO-YO? Just keep on now and you'll see the results you need. Just have the patience and hear the words of your friends here. Open your diary if asked so that people can make suggestions based on what you have been eating (and how much).

Stick to it!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the exact same thing right now and I'm going to do something crazy that I would have never done before. I'm actually going to try what everyone suggests and up my calories to see if that will help. I changed my goal to 1 pound a week instead of two to allow for more calories.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you working out and/or lifting weights? If so, muscle can put on more "weight"... Also, water levels in your body will fluctuate like crazy, depending on the amount of sodium you're intaking and also due to hormonal changes. So it's not a good idea to weight yourself more than once a week. You did not, though, put on a pound of fat since the last time you weighed, so don't get discouraged! You can do this!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know how discouraging it can be, the scale flucuates all the time. First, how hard are you working out? Do you have any sore muscles? If so, the pound gain is temporary - we retain I think it is called lactic acid around the sore muscles to protect them. Also, did you anything saltier than usual? This also adds on some. It could be a combo of the two.

Hang in there, it will come off.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Most importantly DO NOT GIVE UP! Just keep at it. If you are working out and eating within your calorie budget, then the 1lb is probably just water weight or even some muscle. Also, are you tracking inches? It's more reliable when you track your inches, because the scale doesn't always tell the truth.
    Anyhoo, don't give up and don't beat yourself up. You are doing great!
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you started exercising? I know some say it isn't true, but EVERYTIME I start any type of new exercise, regardless of food intake, I gain a few pounds temporarily. :) This can be cardio or strength training--Everytime I add something or start anythign new I temporarily gain weight. No need to panic, maybe this is the reason!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is your goal the right goal for you? With as little as you have to lose you should not set your goal, or expect, to lose more than 1 lb/week.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose a goal of 2 lb loss per week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose a goal of 1.5 lb loss per week is ideal,
    If you have 25- 40 lbs to lose a goal of 1 lb loss per week is ideal,
    If you have 15- 25 lbs to lose a goal of 0.5 to 1.0 lb loss per week is ideal,
    If you have < 15 lbs to lose a goal of 0.5 lb loss per week is ideal,
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Please don't get disheartened. Maybe you've just been drinking more water. Did you weigh the same time of day as usual? Have you been eating enough calories? Did you just recently have a cheat day? When was your last cheat day? Have you been getting enough sleep? Are you stressed? Is it that time of month? Have you been doing muscle training and gaining muscle?

Try measuring yourself in different places. You may like those results better.

Keep in mind that the initial weight loss is really fast. It will slow down.

Weight loss is just one big experiment. You gotta see how your body reacts to different stimuli (a better word for it than the word "things").
  • KiteGirl83
    Options
    Advice: DON'T FREAK. Your weight is going to go up and down and up and down. If that's all you're in it for, you won't get anywhere. BUT! If you can stick to good habits, eventually the "high" number on the "high" end of your fluctuation will go down, and the "low" number will be super amazing!

I never freak if I'm up or down 2 lbs.- that can be water, anything! So just keep plugging away and realize that fitness is not something to check off your to-do list. It's going to take time, and you'll start seeing sustained results as you stick with it. 2 weeks is a great start! But you need more time for this to work changes in your life.

This is a tough (maybe stupid?) way to visualize it, but this is the way I think about it.

I have this "goal weight" that is at the center of my universe. I'm orbiting out around it, and every 5 lbs. I lose brings me in closer. If I don't lose any or worse, gain some, it's ok if I'm eating right and working out- because I recognize that there are tons of factors than can make me gain weight. (When I started running I gained 8 lbs. in two weeks, but have lost that plus more in the 5 months after that). The key is, I'M STILL IN ORBIT! I'm not stopping, I won't be still. Scale up, scale down, I'm headed towards that goal weight. It's just a bit of a journey to get there.

CORNY! I know, but it keeps me running.
  • momlet2
    momlet2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
    I'm having a rotten day, too, so we can have a short little pity party together.
    I've consistently lost 2 to 3 pounds every week. Last week I took on a "challenge" to exercise a certain amount and guzzle lots and lots of water.
    Weigh in today - lost one pound.
    Deflated! More exercise plus tons of water, and I lose less weight. Not much logic there!
    Ok. Pity party over.
    Stick to it - you'll get there! (and so will I, if it kills me! :-)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You're very new and have a lot to learn. Lesson 1: Unless you ate 3500 calories extra, you didn't 'gain' a pound. That gain could be from water retention (from excess sodium), normal daily fluctuation, TOM, you might be losing only inches and not scale weight, etc.

Slow and steady wins the race. Eat healthy foods, stay within your caloric guidelines, exercise to become healthier and stronger, and the weight WILL come off.

Congrats to having your first discouraging day...it won't be the first and certainly won't be the last! What separates the successful people here from the not so successful is how you respond to discouragement. Will you quit, or will you dig your heels in and keep at it?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you focus only on a short term goal of weight loss, instead of a long term goal of healthy living....you're bound to get derailed from your journey sooner than you should. don't worry about small, daily fluctuations in the scale. the scale isn't the best measure of progress and it doesn't move as fast as any of us would like (but, really, it didn't move as fast upwards as any of us now might think it did). it takes time to lose weight. your body will have to adjust along the way, and you will adjust what you do as well. However, you can succeed at living a healthier lifestyle every hour of every day. and if you succeed at living a healthier lifestyle most hours of every day, the weight loss will eventually follow.

enjoy the journey. don't stress over it.
  • TammyTopaz
    Options
    Don't be discouraged hon. It could be water weight or perhaps even that u may be eating too few calories. If ur body is starving (anything under 1,200 calories for the day) then this can result in weight gain as ur metabolic rate begins to slow down. Go figure, right? The trick is to try and never go hungry. Eat as many as 5-6 small meals each day consisting of mainly fruits and a lot of vegetables. I'm no expert but I have read where this works well. U can even try Jillian Michaels 4-3-2-1 pyramid eating scheme...4 servings of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of protein, 2 servings of whole grains and 1 serving of sweets/fats/oils/nuts etc. which should not be more than 200 calories. It's been working pretty well for me so far (though I've had off days) so u can try this for urself.

And never give up. U r stronger than u even know :) Hope this info. helped somewhat.

Have a great day. Cheers :)
  • atucker_mom
    atucker_mom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate. I know most people say stay away from the scale, but it actually helps me to see the fluctiations, so that I don't get on the scale and see an unexpected number and freak out. I weigh morning and night. I know that it can vary by as much as 1 to 6 lbs at times! I also vary thoughout the week, as I tend to eat better during the week than on the weekend. The same is true for during the month. It just helps me to be able to track the ups and downs and to know that they happen and usually why. As long as I am seeing a downward trend, then I don't stress about it. When the trend starts going the wrong way, then I know I need to change something up or get back on track.

Best of luck to you!
  • gracielou09
    Options
    Thank you so much you guys. I think I'm being silly and just had a little freak out. I will keep at it.