Running Inspiration

Options
Tell me about your BEST run! It doesn't have to be your fastest or longest or a race or a win... Whatever YOU consider to be your best run. And please include why it was your best, what made it a run to remember?

I LOVE to hear running stories so feel free to include as many details as you like. You never know, your story might help get me through a tough run someday or it might help someone else that reads it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    This morning was my best run :) I ran 8 miles in 9:50 min/mile. My route has 3 big hills, one is 2 miles from base to the top so to make that 8 mile route under 10 min/mile was a huge accomplishment :) I now want to do it at 9 min/mile or faster! I am PUMPED!

Im also training for a 26.2 marathon :) Its the San Antonio rock and roll marathon - and its on my birthday :)
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    my best run was the first time i did 20 minutes without stopping, granted i went about 4mph but still i kept going
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My best run was just a couple of weeks ago on a routine daily run. My running partner and I finally craked a sub 30 min 5K...it was the best feeling in the world. I was on a natural high for the rest of the week.
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    This morning was my best run :) I ran 8 miles in 9:50 min/mile. My route has 3 big hills, one is 2 miles from base to the top so to make that 8 mile route under 10 min/mile was a huge accomplishment :) I now want to do it at 9 min/mile or faster! I am PUMPED!

Im also training for a 26.2 marathon :) Its the San Antonio rock and roll marathon - and its on my birthday :)

When is the marathon in SA?
  • LisaMDJ
    LisaMDJ Posts: 18
    Options
    My best run was four years ago -- I ran a half marathon at VA Beach in 2007. One year prior to that, I was 100 pounds heavier and had pretty much never run a day in my life. I totally changed my life that year, and the feeling I had when I finished that race was amazing. I'd trained all summer and I was able to run the whole thing with no walk breaks. Since then I've had a baby and gained a ton of weight back so I'm starting back slow (for example, I ran just two miles this morning, but I'm happy I ran at all!) But I'll always remember that accomplishment and I can't wait to get back in shape so I can do another half. I also plan to do a full marathon one day.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Bedford 10K where everything felt right - smashed my PB, felt strong the whole way around without under or overdoing any part of the race.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    my fav as of now, would have to be Saturday's run. I ran 18 mile training run in prep for my first full marathon. there was something about finishing those 18 miles and still standing that made me finally realize that I can and will do this!! so exciting! when I think back to how many times I stuggled to finish a 5K, it is just amazing!! Congrats on what all you have accomplished!!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    my best run was the first time i did 20 minutes without stopping, granted i went about 4mph but still i kept going

I'd have to agree with this one! I was elated the first time I ran 30 mins non stop (about 3 years ago!!) ... I don't go for speed, I go for endurance. I am currently not there, so working to get back to that point!
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    My Best Run was a long one. I believe it was 2006. I was training for my 2nd marathon and the weather was gorgeous! It must have been around 50 degrees and it was sunny with a slight breeze. I ran on the trails. I imagined that I “looked like a runner”, I imagined that I looked as amazing and strong as I felt. Looking back, it turns out that I did look pretty good at the time, only I didn’t know it. Anyway, I felt fantastic, strong, and confident. I planned the run well and I did not walk a single step the entire time. It took me 3 hours and 30 minutes. I was BEAMING when I saw my husband and daughters. I often remember this run and am so happy to have experienced it. Having one amazing run out of 30 or even 50 is sooooo worth the struggle that running can be at times. Running helps me become the person I want to be on so many levels. 

I LOVE all of these responses!! Keep 'em coming! You guys rock!!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options

I am running my first full at SA also!!! awesome! best of luck to you and let's pray for fabulous weather!!
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    Another one to remember was the first time I completed one mile (as an adult) and the first time I completed 10 miles. I cried both times because I was so happy!
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started running, so my favorite run so far was last month -- the first time I ran for 30 minutes straight on a trail outside. I've never in my life been able to run for that long! I run super, crazy, insanely slow (as in, my current run pace is my boyfriend's fast walk pace), but I don't care. I'm doing it! :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mine was my 17 mile run during last spring's marathon training. It was a cool sunny day, & I was running alone. I was in the zone and could have ran forever.
    Not to sound bad, but I think it was because I was able to ditch my running partner that weekend and not be held to thier pace. I was able to get in a rythm and just go. I went faster & farther than I'd ever gone before, while also feeling 10x better during the run. I didn't want to stop.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran a mile without stopping... It was super slow (14.5 minutes) BUT I did it! I'm an ex smoker who never ever ran and I was just totally pumped about it. The next time I was able to do it in 11.5 minutes. Now I'm working on running for 30 minutes straight without walking. It feels like I might die!
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options
    My most recent best run was the “Mid Summer Night Run” on August 27 with my good friend Rachel. It was one of the best races ever because:

1. Rachel was in town (She moved away from Florida in July)
    2. It was unplanned – we had already run a race in the morning
    3. The hot, humid weather took a break and was very pleasant to run in the afternoon. (Not usually so in Florida) And the race was by the river…so pretty…
    4. The race was not a timed race; very laid back. Some folks were doing a full marathon; others were doing a ½ and then there was the third category “do what you can; at your own pace”…this was category I was in. (I ran 10 miles)
    5. Everyone at the race was so supportive and incredibly nice. Great mix of folks: Every type of runner from elite to the run/walkers
    6. The race ended at our favorite bar/restaurant.

It was such an amazing, fun afternoon!
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    My best (favorite) run was Memorial Day of this year. We were on vacation in Saugatuck, and I woke up before my husband and decided to get my run out of the way. Across the lake from where we were staying is the Mt. Baldhead tower. Without knowing the distance, I set off for it. I got to the base in about 25 minutes, (my normal running time), so I figure this must be about 2.5 miles one direction...yes, I am that slow! :). I've only been running since late last summer, so this adventure of an unplanned distance/time thing was kind of scary for me. I circled the lot, eyeballed the 300+ steps to the top of the dune the tower sits on, and then ran back to our room. I think what I loved most about this run was that I didn't know what my distance was going to be, or how long to expect it to take me. I just set out and enjoyed the morning!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. I have "best runs" for different reasons....conquering a new distance, feeling strong and fast, running in incredible scenery or weather, or that feeling of feel SO ALIVE!! But I think if I had to pick, I'd choose an 8K I did this past August. I started strong, felt strong the whole way through and finished strong. At one point I turned a corner and literally said "Holy Sh**" when I saw how far in front of the next racers I was and I was second! I finished second, was the top female overall and set a new PR of 37:57. it felt AMAZING!
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    I love ALL of your posts and will be rereading them to keep me inspired! I wish I had time to comment on each post but I don't (2 little ones at home). But I want to thank you for posting and inspiring, I can completely see why each of these runs mean something to each of you!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I think I have best runs for many reasons too.
    I can recall the first time I ran for over a mile nonstop. That day that particular run was my "best" run.
    Then there was the run where i completed double digits. THAT was also a best run moment.
    And then there was the first half marathon finish line I crossed. Hello, best run!
    Then there was the run where I ran a mile under 10 mins and I thought that was the best run.
    Last week I ran my 2nd half marathon and ran 9.5 miles straight and was within 3 minutes of my time goal for finishing. So far, that has been my best run (again!).
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My best run is not actually a specific race....my best run is when I am running along, not paying attention to mileage, realize I already out in a few and think to myself...wow, I could just keep going and going at this pace:)