Transitioning to Vegetarianism--Need Help!

Options
Hi everyone,

I am starting the transition to vegetarianism (ovo-lacto) and am looking for some resources (preferably free and online, but I am open to buying some books if you think they are indispensable) for vegetarian recipes and information about vegetarian nutrition. I check out AllRecipes and Epicurious frequently but find it a bit frustrating, even with the vegetarian filters on.

What are your favorites?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• javengreen
    javengreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cook out of "How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian" all the time. It's by Mark Bittman. There are a bunch of blogs I get recipes out of as well, but it's nice just to open one book and have plenty of ideas.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I cook out of "How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian" all the time. It's by Mark Bittman. There are a bunch of blogs I get recipes out of as well, but it's nice just to open one book and have plenty of ideas.

Thanks for the response! What are some of the blogs you frequent? I would love to have a variety of resources!
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Greetings! May I suggest vegetariantimes.com, as well as, vegweb.com. Both are free and excellent sources of information and recipes.

Enjoy the journey!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Use those two sites still but DON'T use the vegetarian filters. Just look through everything and replace the meat with an equal amount of mushrooms, mixed vegetables, or meat analogues if you swing that way.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    PETA has recipes on their site, as do Vegetarian Times and VegWeb. But if you just Google "vegetarian recipes", you'll find a lot more.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi there and well done on a great decision. There are loads of useful resources. you can get guides to going veggie on websites such as the Vegetarian Society, PETA, Viva and Animal Aid. the BBC Good Food site has plenty of great veggie and vegan recipes which are really easy to follow - just use a measurement conversion site if you're in the US. One of my favourite websites is fatfreevegan.com which sounds very strict and daunting but it isn't at all! :tongue:
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses! Google was perhaps a little too helpful and I got a bit overwhelmed in my searching last night. I'm glad to have some solid recommendations from you all!