Zumba

Options
Hi all, i wonder if anyone can help, ive recently started doing Zumba on the wii but wondered how to calculate the caleries i burn as its not on the list, i thought about just putting it under aerobics and someone suggested a heart rate moniter but i can't afford one right now.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated :smile:

Many Thanks
Jacinta

Replies

• mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    wear a heart rate monitor, when i wore mine to a class in 1 hour i burned over 700 calories!! I love Zumba!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/

this will give you a pretty close count. I use an HRM, and I have compared that to the the site, and it's within 10% usually
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is there a cardio exercise for dance?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i think Zumba for the wii is less than if you go to an actual class...but i dont own a HRM so dont take my word for it.. :)
  • atesson
    Options
    My friend puts it under aerobics high impact then enter the time. I feel any of the exercises already entered are an approx to calories burned anyways. Unless you wear the HRM then you really don't know if it is accurate.
  • rdevaughn
    rdevaughn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i can't afford a monitor right now either, so i usually just google the average calories lost for a specific dvd and go with that. it has worked for me so far...

i found this when i googled-how it helps!

Health resource website HealthStatus provides calorie burn estimates for various activities. Although it doesn't give details for any brand-name programs, it reports that a typical 30-minute session of low-impact aerobics like "Zumba Basic Step" will burn about 235 calories off of a 170-pound person. Heavier people will burn more calories in a session, and lighter people will burn fewer.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/432162-how-many-calories-can-i-burn-with-zumba-basic-step/#ixzz1aV2kO696
  • Amybmid
    Amybmid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I log Zumba classes as : Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist. Seems to be a pretty accurate measure.
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try the zumba calorie calculator

http://www.zumbacalories.com/

I wouldn't use this for learning the steps. Only when you are actually doing the work out.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    My heart rate monitor says I burn anywhere from 450-700 calories. It can vary greatly from person to person, depending on their size as well as the effort you put into it. Some of the ladies in the class barely move!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is your best best, but a good rule of thumb for Zumba (I've been teaching it for almost 3 years) is low intensity/modest effort will be about 400/hour; medium intensity/moderate to high effort about 500-650; high intensity/strenuous effort 700+. You will have to gauge based on how hard you are working- give yourself a "the talk test" during class. If you can easily talk continuously without being winded- low intensity; if you can speak continuously but frequently become winded that is medium intensity; if you are quite winded and have difficulty speaking continuously, that is high intensity.
  • Determinedtorunon
    Determinedtorunon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's great advice. I have been going to Zumba three times a week and I was wondering the same thing. We have two-hour zumba classes about one a quarter which I truly love. Sometimes I spend a great deal of time laughing because we have some great people in class. I will try to work harder without talking, LOL.. Thanks again
  • Jacinta130
    Options
    Thank you all for your replys, they are really helpful.
    I love Zumba so im hoping its going to help with the weightloss too!