The Tuna Diet - Thanksgiving Detox

Conveniently this past weekend after eating too much over Thanksgiving cans of tuna were on sale for .59 a can. I bought 24 cans at work so yes, I already got some funny looks ;)

Just as a joke I said to a co-worker “I wonder if there is a tuna diet?”. There are 2 as per google, nothing but tuna every 2 hours (bodybuilder recommended) and another fad type one that looks like the grapefruit diet so basically it is <1000 cals a day and little to no carbs – not good.

I am NOT going to eat nothing but tuna for the next few days so don't worry about metabolism shock but I was curious if anyone has tried such a thing and also, is the mercury possibility really all that bad?

Replies

• neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    I tried it for a day, lost alot of water weight. Be careful with the mercury
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Yes it is quite bad and know of a person that actually died in our gym due to mercury poisoning. According to his mates he ate 4 cans a day for 6 months...
  • CassieAtEatLoveFit
    CassieAtEatLoveFit Posts: 14 Member
    Not like I know all the details re: the mercury contents in tuna, but I'd look into just how much tuna is healthy to consume on a weekly basis. I can't imagine eating massive amounts of it can be good for you :/
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    I think theres something a bit fishy about it all myself!!

Sorry couldn't resist
  • http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/fishadvisories/index.cfm

All kinds of information about fish and mercury content.

--edit--

Normal safe consumption is something like 3 servings a week, average... So if you ate 4 servings one week, it would be ok to just cut down to 2 the next... It takes time to get rid of mercury in the body, so sticking to exactly 3 servings a week isn't necessary, just an average over the course of a month (At least how I understand it).
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Mercury would be the least of my concerns. I would be afraid of smelling like fish.
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Tuna in a can is pretty cheap and with only a 100 calories a can it fits nicely in to my diet. I make tuna salad for 1 and eat it (no bread) about 3 times a week. I certainly wouldnt eat it every day or several times a day, not only due to mercury but because I would get sick of it. But try out some recipies and see if you find some you like!

http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I think theres something a bit fishy about it all myself!!

Sorry couldn't resist

Ha ha, very nice! Looks like a female can eat about 3 cans of light tuna a week safely, a man 4. That's a bummer, having a can a day for lunch would have made such an easy lunch and high in protein.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Tuna in a can is pretty cheap and with only a 100 calories a can it fits nicely in to my diet.

For some reason flaked tuna was 80 cals and chunk tuna was 100 so I was pretty excited it was even lower in cals!

Tuna with a touch of hot sauce is great. I make a Tuna-Chickpea "salad" and put it on bread or cucumber slices depending on carbs for the day but I'll definitely have to keep my weekly cans to a minimum. Thank goodness they don't expire until 2014!

Thanks everyone!

Here's my photo; Picture329.jpg
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Salad nicoise is a nice one for tuna, there are various variations of it , I leave out the potatoes and anchovies though
    potatoes = carbs Anchovies = horrible salty fish (yuck)
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Tuna in a can is pretty cheap and with only a 100 calories a can it fits nicely in to my diet.

For some reason flaked tuna was 80 cals and chunk tuna was 100 so I was pretty excited it was even lower in cals!

Tuna with a touch of hot sauce is great. I make a Tuna-Chickpea "salad" and put it on bread or cucumber slices depending on carbs for the day but I'll definitely have to keep my weekly cans to a minimum. Thank goodness they don't expire until 2014!

Thanks everyone!

Here's my photo; Picture329.jpg

those look good!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Yes it is quite bad and know of a person that actually died in our gym due to mercury poisoning. According to his mates he ate 4 cans a day for 6 months...

Aside from almost every "_______ diet" being stupid, the above is all the reason not to do this, just in case anyone is considering something so idiotic.

I love tuna and I am bodybuilding but I'm keeping a close eye on it. Would eat more if it weren't for the slightest possibility of mercury poisoning.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 243 Member
    What do you put in your tuna that picture looks great! :) I love tuna and cucumbers haha so that sounds like a great lunch to me.