Everyday I wake up on a diet and every night I go to bed as

Options
My name is Jennifer. I really don't know what is going on with me, I think I am the biggest yo-yo/fad dieter known to man. I NEED HELP. One day I am eating low carb the next I am eating low calorie. (or just plain eating everything) I end up gaining more weight in the end. I am a mother of 3 kids under the age of 5 and work full time, I don't know when I could work-out. (saying that I don't know if it is an excuse or a legitimate reason) I know that when I see myself in photos or a reflection I am disgusted. I am ashamed and could use advice. What keeps you motivated? What are things that I can do to stop myself? I eat when I am not hungry and I know that I am not hungry, but do it anyway. Please help.:embarassed:

Replies

• katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us are in a similar boat. This is a good site to stay motivated especially with the right friends. Friend a few until you find someone that motivates you. Also stop dieting. Make a lifestyle change. Use this site to watch calorie intake vs outtake and remember, everything in moderation. I am still working on these things myself, but I have a couple of friends that will call me out when I need calling out and encourage me when I am down. You can do it. Add me as friend if you'd like.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I'm the exact same way! I wake up every morning doing great, watching my cals. etc. than once 8 or 9pm rolls around i'm doomed. I have realized though that if there's no healthy snacks in the house than i'm more likely to binge. So I make sure to always have a variety of snacks that are high in fiber and protein.
  • ksgreys
    ksgreys Posts: 11
    Options
    it is the weekends for me! I do well all week and then Friday night wham-o! Saturday out running errands, have to stop and get lunch....Sunday- need to cook a big special dinner...OY... seems like a never ending cycle to me!
  • lifechange84
    Options
    I know how you feel too! This website & all the supportive people here has helped tremendously. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to be supportive to each other!
    No diet works-- lifestyle change is the key.
  • jennwaller
    Options
    Thank you ladies.. I hear you about the weekends.. I will utilize this site more often, I wish you all the best of luck. :)
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    it is the weekends for me! I do well all week and then Friday night wham-o! Saturday out running errands, have to stop and get lunch....Sunday- need to cook a big special dinner...OY... seems like a never ending cycle to me!
    I hear you! It can be tough when you're out and about, catching up with friends, and so on.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You can realize that everyone can find an excuse if that is what they are looking for. We have to be consistent, I think counting calories is the best way to lose weight because I have to control my portions. Too many people are looking for and all you can eat way of losing weight but it doesn't exist. The problem with losing weight like that is that you can't do it for the rest of your life so you lose weight and then start eating regular again and gain it back. It took time to put on the weight and it will take time to take it off. There is no over night fix. Good luck, I hope you find a way...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am not hungry and I know that I am not hungry, but do it anyway. Please help.:embarassed:

Do you have an idea of why you are eating? If it's not because of hunger then what is the reason? Has it just become a habit, or is there an emotional issue that you are using food for?

The reason I am thinking it could be have emotional reasons is because of this:
    I know that when I see myself in photos or a reflection I am disgusted. I am ashamed

I don't think you should feel this way about yourself just because of some extra pounds. I'm sure you don't find other overweight people disgusting and shameful, so why feel that way about yourself? It's not a moral failing, it's just some extra weight, and you CAN lose it. This is a good site to help you with that.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think the worst thing we do is self sabotage with unrealistic goals. We realistically need to account for everything we eat, and log it. It makes us more aware of our choices later in the day or even early the morning when you plan meals.
    D.I.E.T. is a 4 letter word in my book. I don't use it, I don't diet, I use other 4 letter words. L.I.V.E. and F.U.E.L.

We have to eat to live, we need fuel to survive and when you can look at food this way it will be a joy in life rather than a comfort. I was a food addict for many years, and I was a serious emotional eater.
    Do I eat bad stuff- sure I do it tastes good! But moderation and accountably for myself- if I know I am going to go out to dinner at a place where I love their fries- I am going to put the extra workout time in so that I have earned that treat :)
    In the end- support is why you are here! Welcome! :)
  • SraM562
    SraM562 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is better for you to think of it as a change in lifestyle and not a diet. It helps...its been a month now since I made my lifestyle and it gets easier. I have three kids also and I know how hard it can be. Keep in mind that you have support here and we all can help you stay on track. :)
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    go in and look at some of these members before and after results, to see how their bodies changed because of hard work and dedication and you will want the same thing for yourself it has really motivated me to work harder and stay focused . because i had started losing and then got off track and gained a few pounds back . I just started over this week though so come on WE can do it!
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    Stop dieting. Stop trying. Just for a week or two. Instead just start logging. Log all your food each day, and write down a little note as to how you were feeling or anything you noticed that triggered binges. At the end of the week read back through your diary. Why do you eat even though you aren't hungry? I've noticed I eat a lot when I'm feeling stressed out or unhappy, but I also eat a lot when I am happy and in certain places like at parties or with friends. That helps me to know what I can do to avoid that as best as possible so that I can start eating healthily.

Add as many nice people as friends as possible. Add me :wink: You soon see just what is possible just by seeing how well others are doing at getting in their exercise. By encouraging others, you also feel inspired to encourage yourself.

Make a healthy lifestyle easy. Don't buy crap for your fridge and pantry. Aim to increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat per day (focus on more of the healthy things rather than restricting - these things are low in calories and full you up so that your total for the day is better). Make it easy to log in MFP by setting this site as your homepage.

Commit to yourself. You are worth it. This isn't about trying to change what you see in the mirror, it's about loving who you see in the mirror & respecting yourself. You are busy, which is why you have to do this. You can't afford to be slow or to get sick. That's what happens when you eat unhealthily and don't ever exercise. You feel like poo. But you're not poo! You are a beautiful strong woman! This means every single time you have the option: stairs or escalator; you walk up those stairs. Every time you have the choice to stay inside on the weekend watching TV or going out and playing with your kids: go play.

Try new things. Eating well & exercising should not be some boring restrictive diet. It should be about enjoying life. Try a new class, a new sport, a new recipe. Every day is a gift to be experienced and lived to the fullest.

Good luck & we are here for you.
  • jenniferpayne5
    jenniferpayne5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also Jennifer (Sometimes I wish my parents had been a little more original) and I feel your pain. Working with kids makes the Gym pretty much an impossible feat. At least for me. I am in pretty much the same boat. Some days I feel like I have a zip on fat suit pulled on over me and I swear this isn't my body looking back at me in the mirror. I think the most important thing is to stay on track and motivated. If you slip up, it is ok. Dieting doesn't have to be all or nothing just try to make the next choice a better one.

Also, I have been visualizing my slip ups before they happen. Research says if you imagine the change you want to make in advance you are 50% more likely to be sucessful. For me there are two occassions that always break me down: at work and on a date. At work there is always sweets and chocolate that people bring in and leave in the lounge. I imagine it being there and not eating it. Or walking down to the cafeteria and getting a peice of fruit instead. If I do this I am more successful at saying no to the junk. Also my husband and I have had a tradition of going to happy hour at Applebees since we started dating 9 years ago. I can't cut that out so I visualized my solution. I calculated what I can have based off their nutrition guide so I know what 600 calories is. Then I imagined only eating that. It really did help me stay on track. So visualize yourself overcoming your weaknesses and the mental practice will help when the food is staring you in the face.

You can friend me. We are reaching for the same goal. Having a support group can help to keep you on track because you are not doing it alone.
  • pepperhughes
    Options
    I have been in the same place, my motivator is one of my friends Cindy, she has 3 children as well 2 which are twins under the age of 2, and a little girl 4 yrs. old. I gave her a membership to the club I work at... with that said I do not utilize my OWN membership :( .. sad I know!!
    She makes sure to get her at least 3 times a week her big thing is that she was not making time for herself and getting cought in the same funk now she knows that when she makes that time and works out she feels better about herself not to mention the health and weight management benifits that she is seeing now as well.
    I find that I work here 40-50 hours a week and do not want to work out here another 10 hours a week.. however with her being my new motivator and making time for herself I am now seeing it in a new light, I have to make time for myself as well without work and my family being my reason for not doing it, I am not saying it is easy all the time, sometimes it is very hard but if she can do it I can do it!!
    And I know you can too!
    Not even at a gym, just take a hour of me time when you want a few times a week, and you will see a difference!
  • passionbee
    passionbee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ...Also stop dieting. Make a lifestyle change...

^^^This is really what it's all about. I was in the same place as you not even 3 months ago. I had given up...eating whatever I wanted...because why not? Who cares??

Somehow you have to find a way to start moving. If you can join a gym, you'll be on the fast track to a healthy lifestyle. If a gym isn't an option right now, take walks around the neighborhood, ride a bike, take some yoga classes...get your body moving.

Keep track of your food intake using this site. It's amazing to see how it all adds up. Don't judge yourself, just record what you eat and look it over. You can keep your diary private, no one will see it but you. There are days I go over my calories but using this site gets me right back on track.

Since joining a gym and this site appx 2 months ago, I've lost 5lbs. This may not sound like much, but I've gained muscle, strength and energy. I've dropped one pants size and about to drop again. Don't give up, keep going. I didn't see much progress at first but my body knows what's going on now and I'm really seeing a difference.

Sometimes it's hard to put ourselves first but your health is everything. You deserve to be healthy and to feel good, it's the best gift you can give yourself.

Feel free to add me, I don't have many friends on here yet, I'm a bit of a recluse! :)
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Some friends and I have an awesome facebook group for support. We have a ton of fun, do challenges and weekly weigh ins (find the biggest loser etc). Let me know if you're interested. :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My name is Jennifer. I really don't know what is going on with me, I think I am the biggest yo-yo/fad dieter known to man. I NEED HELP. One day I am eating low carb the next I am eating low calorie. (or just plain eating everything) I end up gaining more weight in the end. I am a mother of 3 kids under the age of 5 and work full time, I don't know when I could work-out. (saying that I don't know if it is an excuse or a legitimate reason) I know that when I see myself in photos or a reflection I am disgusted. I am ashamed and could use advice. What keeps you motivated? What are things that I can do to stop myself? I eat when I am not hungry and I know that I am not hungry, but do it anyway. Please help.:embarassed:

I would think being healthy for your kids, and the fact that you've lost 17 lbs already should already be great motivation for you. We all struggle with it, but you just need to get a few good days or weeks of eating behind you and it WILL get easier. You have to really, really want it, and then commit yourself to it!

As for the time to workout..that's probably 25% truth, and 75% excuse. You just have to make time somewhere in your day..whether in involves your kids, or you demand an hour to yourself somewhere in the day. There was a Nike ad a few years back that said "Someone busier than you is running right now", and thats SO true. Everyone I know who is "so busy" manages to find time to watch a favorite tv show, or play around on the computer, so they could be doing something.

This site is a fantastic tool though, and the people are mostly helpful and supportive (with a few trolls hiding among them...hahaha). Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting. Stop trying. Just for a week or two. Instead just start logging. Log all your food each day, and write down a little note as to how you were feeling or anything you noticed that triggered binges. At the end of the week read back through your diary. Why do you eat even though you aren't hungry? I've noticed I eat a lot when I'm feeling stressed out or unhappy, but I also eat a lot when I am happy and in certain places like at parties or with friends. That helps me to know what I can do to avoid that as best as possible so that I can start eating healthily.

This is great advice. When I first started on this I logged everything I ate for a whole week, making no eating habit changes. At the end of the week I had a pretty good idea of when I needed a snack, what moods made me want to eat more, etc. I also realized how much unnecessary things I was eating, handful of snacks here or there. It really helped me to cut some out.

Also, I have learned to celebrate every pound, every day I don't go over my calorie goal and even every day I make it to the gym or excerise.

Good luck to you!
  • KarenG1213
    Options
    Hi Jennifer! I have some of the same issues....I am a busy Mom with a very active 'karate kid' and a shift working hubby who works out 6 days a week! I almost live in my car, so my problem was finding time for myself to exercise. I am not a morning person, but the only time I have to work out is early in the mornings. So, I found a friend to work out with me, and we are doing it! I'm using MFP to log exercise and diet and trying to make friends to help keep me motivated and on the right track. My buddy and I are going on the 2nd week of morning exercise, and I have to admit, it is HARD for me to get up. However, having someone to help me be accountable is huge for me!

This has to be a lifestyle change - not a diet. If you are like me, I hear the word "diet" and think "deprived". Instead, I concentrate on making healthy food choices but I don't beat myself up if I slip once in a while. Documenting the intake will help make you conscious of your choices. I didn't gain the weight overnight and I'm giving myself plenty of time to lose it. It's day by day until the habit is formed. To me, having friends who will help motivate me is a plus...so look for friends and take it one day at a time. Good luck! :smile: