Question about weight loss and loose skin

Options
I have heard people talk about having loose skin after losing weight. Does this happen when losing a smaller amount of weight, like 15-20 pounds? Does it go away?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have loose skin after such a small weight loss. I've lost 15 pounds so far, on my way to 20, and there's no loose skin here.
  • himiller3
    Options
    Loose skin is usually just a problem when you are significantly overweight. You shouldn't need worry about 20lbs.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is generally the result of being significantly overweight for a long period of time. This is because the skin only has so much elasticity. The more it is stretched and the longer it is stretched the more it loses the ability to "snap back" when you lose weight. So if you only have a small amount to lose, your skin should be just fine.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a "doughy" ness to my lil pouch under my belly button... That is my only loose skin at this time... No worries, skin always snaps back, it takes time though. "They" also say that if you wear spanx you can help the skin get back into it's "normal" tightness. :-)

Also Vitamin K helps your skin! ;-)
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    Nah, that's more with people losing very large amounts of weight, like 100+. Nothing will be hanging after 20 lbs that toning exercises won't take care of.
  • Marlys101
    Marlys101 Posts: 100
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds but have some loose skin on my stomach because I wasn't exercising enough and the weight came off too fast.
    It doesn't seem like you should have any problem.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have some lose skin, however I yo yo dieted most of my adult life, had a c section, and now this year (since March) lost 96 pounds...so with all those factors, I'd expect it. (working on smoothing it out), but with just 20ish pounds, you shouldn't have much if any. :)
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    even if your 100 lbs. as long as you loose it slowly & exercise & do toning weight training...you can avoid loose skin.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have lost 60 + pounds apiece. We exercise everyday and so far the skin seems to be keeping up with the weight loss. No hanging skin. I think exercise is the secret. People who just cut calories and don't tone their bodies as they go are more likely to have the hanging skin. So have no fear if you are exercising, you should look fantastic when you are finished.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't have much experience with weight loss. I was always way too skinny, then gained 40 pounds within 2 years (maybe closer to 1 year). I lost it once but gained it back... and that was a few years ago so I didn't know if things would be different since I'm a few years older. I am trying to work more exercise into my life too!
  • zcoop
    zcoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    With that small amount of weight loss there really shouldnt be any loose skin. How u avoid it is by staying hydrated, strength training, and keeping ur skin moisturized. If you can u can also wear a body wrap. like a tummy wrap for water weight or a mody majic for women. or a shaper. something like that. it helps. But with that weight loss i wouldnt worry bout it much
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Loose skin comes with genetics and age the older you are sometimes the harder it is for skin that has been streched for such a long period of time to snap back... I lost 83 lbs and i have not loose skin except my pouch and that was torn before I even gained weight from pregnancy. You should not have a problem with loose skin loose 15 to 20lbs!!!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have lost 98 pounds and my arms have a little loose skin, thighs a lot and my belly a ton. I still lose weight but inches around my stomach doesnt go do. I look like skin and bones everywhere but my stomach. So what can be done to fix this? I've been 302 at my biggest and stayed around 275 for around 20 years so need help on this