Oatmeal for Weight Loss

Options
I am going to eat oatmeal with raisins every day for lunch and see if I notice any change in my weight loss rate. I have been stuck at 170 for a few months now, and am changing it up. Anyone else find that oatmeal helped jump start your losses?

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Don't see it's a good balance diet to me, unless you balance it out with your breakfast & dinner... What's your usual diet? What kind of exercises do you do?
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's not the oatmeal itself that would help you lose weight. It WILL help you stay full and it IS a healthy choice for a meal though. It still depends on what else you eat during the day.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I ate oatmeal for breakfast.. really good with fruit and cinnamon, peanut butter and banana, etc. So many different ways to try it! But at lunch time I usually crave vegetables.. sandwiches, wraps, etc. As long as you are getting the macros you need then I don't see a problem with it..
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Not sure about it actually making you lose weight. But if I have it for breakfast I stay full until lunch. So I guess it may help in that way.
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, it keeps me full and keeps me from snacking. Watch the sugars in Quaker though! Good luck!
  • supergirlsu
    Options
    I have it with some pb and raisins in every morning. Keeps me nice and full until lunchtime.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's not the oatmeal itself that would help you lose weight. It WILL help you stay full and it IS a healthy choice for a meal though. It still depends on what else you eat during the day.

agree
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I used to have oatmeal every morning and all it did was make me weak and shaky less than two hours later (learned that wasn't hunger - it was a blood sugar crash - this is why carbs keep you hungry all day). I don't understand how people think it is filling. Something that is "filling" should keep you full for 5-6 hours, not 2. (eggs and natural uncured bacon will keep me full all day)

Dropping grains, flours, sugar, and beans (basically all carbs but veggies, nuts and the occasional berry) and increasing my fat intake (especially saturated fat) helped me lose twice as much weight as I had planned on.

When you are dealing with overweight and/or obesity you are dealing with glucose intolerance and insulin resistance issues (the muscle cells are usually the first to become resistant to insulin while the fat cells stay sensitive to it and insulin is what sends the nutrients where they need to go. If the muscles can't take up the nutrients they head to fat for storage). So you become less active (no energy to muscles) while gaining more and more weight and you stay hungry because you are starving on a cellular level.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cortisol/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

Just some interesting information
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    amen! if you want to be full try eating a protein in the morning. Oatmeal is the devil. Espcially the kind that is already prepackaged. Have you checked the sugar count?? Or the carbs in oatmeal? Steel cut oats are the best but most people dont eat the natual stuff. I say, try an egg every morning.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats and chia seed every morning for breakfast. It makes a huge serving and keeps me full until lunch. I enjoy that breakfast, but I agree with other posters that there is a big difference between the instant stuff & rolled or steel cut oats. The instant stuff is not all that healthy if you read the label.

I would like to experiment with possibly only eating 1/2 a serving of oatmeal, plus 2 HB eggs, so that I can up the protein in my breakfast. But I don't want to mess up what is working for me now.

It takes a little prep time to make the "real" oats, but I think it's far worth it.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of oatmeal with raisins every morning for breakfast. I don't use the instant, I use the regular cooked and use almond milk instead of regular milk... Heaven.