Completely at a Standstill

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals here. I am on 1400 after being on 1200 for months w/o losing. I am slowly increasing 50 cals a month. I am also zig zagging a bit. I do 1250 mon, 1400 tues. 1450 wed and so forth PLUS 1/2 my exercise cals from an HRM.

At 50 pounds overweight your body should be letting go. You also have to take age into consideration.
    I am 47 and remember clearly losing down to 118 from 138 (present weight) at age 32 with 1200 cals and 30 min exercise video each morning with 2 days off.

MY metabolism is way different now with menopause 7 years behind me.

I know how frustrating it can be as I have lost 4 pounds since Jan............BUT I have lost inches which helps my psyche.

I am not feeling well today, so if I rambled sorry. We can PM and see if we can put our heads to gether to get some of this baggage off our butts!!:flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    kayovercomer, I have a couple of questions to ask. First, do you know what your BMR and/or AMR are? You can calculate your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) in the tools section on this site. If you google AMR (Active Metabolic Rate), you can find a calculator for that very easily on the internet.

What these numbers will tell you are the number of calories you need to eat per day to sustain life (BMR) and to sustain your life plus normal daily activities (AMR). These are very important numbers because they will tell you how many calories from which you need to create the deficit. For instance, if your AMR is 2000 calories a day, a 500 calorie a day deficit will take you to 1500 calories a day. But if your AMR is 1500, then you can see where it is impossible to create a 500 calorie deficit without falling below the 1200 calorie limit (which really isn't good to fall below). I think these are good things to know.

So I would recommend you try to calculate those things to see perhaps why MFP is suggesting 1200 calories a day.

My second question is whether you have tried to work out with more intensity than the current walking you are doing. It is going to be much easier to lose the weight if you are exercising with more intensity than that. And by more intensity, I don't mean going for a five mile run. But if you are on a treadmill, have you tried incline training (which is no impact) on that treadmill? Have you tried to add any upper body resistance training when you are walking (for example, doing simple bicep curls while you are walking). I think you might find that simply changing the intensity of your workouts would probably shock your body into starting to lose weight.

I am not going to tell you that 1200 calories is too low because for many people it isn't. My AMR (without exercise of course) is only about 1450 calories, so, for me, 1200 calories is very doable and very safe. But I think you might need to understand your numbers better and if, like me, you can't create an effective deficit with food alone, really look at your workouts and try to increase the intensity there over time.

And, finally, I understand the frustration, but be patient. Especially be patient if you alter your workouts at all because it does take the body a couple/few weeks to respond. But when you find the right combination of diet/exercise for you, it will respond. So keep trying!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Thanks. I can't run because of glaucoma implants but I love to walk.
    I hear you I'm in the same boat - stuck and sometimes I think I give up - but although I haven't lost anymore weight or even inches -

I feel better - I can run almost 5 miles - I know I have more muscle in my lower body

Hang in there!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Kim, I feel some better. Thanks. I think 1500 would be better with the exercise and all. My sister is a nurse also and she's trying to lose about 65 lbs.
    I get what your asking about the 1200 cal being healthy,but as a RN I feel that it is individual I find that 1200 works for me,but someone else may need more calories to lose weight.If you eat to few calories your body will go into starvation mode so I make sure not to eat less than 1200 cal/day
    kim
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, when I went ahead and put the goal at 50, the calories were the same. I think I can work around it though.
    Try changing your goal- you can have it set to the correct amount of weight that you need to lose and yet still track your mini goals or at least put up half of what you need to lose so if you have 50lbs to lose put your goal weight at 25lbs less than what you are now- As for your eating I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day- I can't do 1200 even without exercise im too bouncy and animated for that to keep me going-- try playing with your numbers. eating 1600 calories a day isn't bad either- good luck and workout as well
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You could change your goal to losing .5 lbs/week. That would increase your daily calories.
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Thanks, wow, well before I ever started to lose weight I have no idea how many calories but I was maintaining a 215 lb. frame back then, now I'm 185 so I was probably packin' it in!

what do you have your goal set to 1lb a week, 2lbs a week, 1.5lb a week, .5lb a week- I think when you don't have much to lose and you plug it into the system it gives you 1200- i turned my coworkers on to this site and they just wanted to drop like 10lbs or so and it put them at 1200-

1200 is shown on this site because it is said the lowest amount of calories people should eat (women that is)

I think 1400-1600 is fine=- me personally use MFP as just a guide and tool to track my calories from what I have found its calculation for BMR is off- just like other websites-

And I saw the Dr Oz thing as well- Well I read about it on Oprahs site.

You have to find what works for you-

How many calories were you eating before you started counting calories?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have @50 lbs left to lose also, and I get 1620 calories per day on MFP - set to lose 1 lb per week. So I think probably you are too low! I don't eat that many calories because I have hypothyroidism and my metabolism doesn't function properly, even though my levels are o.k. because of meds. But even I have to be at about 1400 calories per day to lose steadily. I will stay the same or bounce around for 2 - 3 weeks, then in 1 week will lose 3 - 4 lbs. Just the way my body functions - I would double check and maybe change my goals if I were you - you can do that in settings under My Home tab. I think you're body is not getting enough fuel so is not willing to let go of the additional weight. Just my thoughts :flowerforyou: I hope things go well for you!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Thanks and you were most encouraging. I don't drink enough water. That may be a huge reason right there.
    Try around 1500 calories and add in a little more cardio a week. I was jus reading through some of y weight loss journals and it seems I stalled out at around 185 for nearly 4 months then I upped my calories and cardio to finally start dropping again. also water, water, water...
    HTH:flowerforyou:

Hang in there! The first time I went rom 230lbs down to 138lbs in 18 months. I had two more babies and was back up to 210lbs. It has been 15 months of hard work but I was down to 145 as of this morning. It just takes time!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Just got back from errands and I'm going now
    to see those numbers, on that BMI, I don't know.
    As far as exercise: you may be onto something.
    I've been walking 30 minutes for about a year
    at a time. Never increasing it. Maybe it's time
    to step it up a notch. That may be a key also.
    I really appreciate your (and everyone's input)
    as it has helped me quite a lot.
    I have actually come up with three reasons
    why I may be in a slump, 1) not drinking enough
    water 2) not increasing my exercise and 3) not
    really eating enough.

kayovercomer, I have a couple of questions to ask. First, do you know what your BMR and/or AMR are? You can calculate your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) in the tools section on this site. If you google AMR (Active Metabolic Rate), you can find a calculator for that very easily on the internet.

What these numbers will tell you are the number of calories you need to eat per day to sustain life (BMR) and to sustain your life plus normal daily activities (AMR). These are very important numbers because they will tell you how many calories from which you need to create the deficit. For instance, if your AMR is 2000 calories a day, a 500 calorie a day deficit will take you to 1500 calories a day. But if your AMR is 1500, then you can see where it is impossible to create a 500 calorie deficit without falling below the 1200 calorie limit (which really isn't good to fall below). I think these are good things to know.

So I would recommend you try to calculate those things to see perhaps why MFP is suggesting 1200 calories a day.

My second question is whether you have tried to work out with more intensity than the current walking you are doing. It is going to be much easier to lose the weight if you are exercising with more intensity than that. And by more intensity, I don't mean going for a five mile run. But if you are on a treadmill, have you tried incline training (which is no impact) on that treadmill? Have you tried to add any upper body resistance training when you are walking (for example, doing simple bicep curls while you are walking). I think you might find that simply changing the intensity of your workouts would probably shock your body into starting to lose weight.

I am not going to tell you that 1200 calories is too low because for many people it isn't. My AMR (without exercise of course) is only about 1450 calories, so, for me, 1200 calories is very doable and very safe. But I think you might need to understand your numbers better and if, like me, you can't create an effective deficit with food alone, really look at your workouts and try to increase the intensity there over time.

And, finally, I understand the frustration, but be patient. Especially be patient if you alter your workouts at all because it does take the body a couple/few weeks to respond. But when you find the right combination of diet/exercise for you, it will respond. So keep trying!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    When I calculated the BMI, it said 1388 calories a day is what I'm using just to stay alive (:flowerforyou: so.........I see what you are saying. I think. The BMI said 33.8 I'm worse off than I thought!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    From your BMR of 1388, you can now calculate your AMR. There is a math formula for doing that, but I'll just toss a couple out at you in hopes it makes it easier. If you live a primarily sedentary life (outside of exercise), then your AMR is 1526. In other words, that's how many calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN your weight if you aren't exercising. If you lead a moderately active life (spend a good part of your time on your feet), then your AMR is 1655. A very active lifestyle would mean your AMR is 1783.

It is from your AMR that you want to calculate your calorie deficit. So, for instance, if your AMR is 1526, and you eat 1200 calories a day (which would be safe even though it is below your BMR because you are more than 10-15 pounds overweight), then you are going to lose a little more than half a pound a week. And that is if you are very religious about 1200. If you are like me :bigsmile: sometimes 1200 means 1250 or maybe even 1300. And those extra calories make quite a bit of difference.

In order to create a deficit if your AMR is 1526 of five hundred calories a day (one pound a week weight loss), then you need to workout. Given that you've been walking for 30 minutes a day for a year, I'm thinking your body has metabolized to that and you probably aren't burning too many calories during that activity. I don't know that for sure, but it is likely. So as you've indicated, it is probably time to shake up that activity.

These factors (a low AMR and your current workout regime) could very well be why you've not noticed any weight loss in the past 2-3 weeks--because your deficit isn't enough yet to actually register a significant weight loss.

So my recommendation to you is to NOT increase your calories (unless you are leading a very active lifestyle) too much unless you really start pushing the intensity of your workouts. Instead, if I were you, I'd focus on the workouts first and, eventually, try to get an accurate reading on what you are burning once you've increased the intensity of the workouts (for example, with a heartrate monitor). Whether you are sedentary or mildly active, I would say that once you start burning over about 200-300 calories a day, then maybe start eating back some of your workout calories--but just those above about the 200-300 burned. (In other words, if you burn 500 calories, maybe eat back half of those).

It is very frustrating for those of us with low metabolic rates to lose weight, and I so understand that because I'm totally in your boat. But once I figured out how much I really am supposed to be eating to maintain my weight if I'm not exercising (which is, like I said, 1450 calories a day), then I came to a much better understanding of how I was eating too much because, quite honestly, I never dreamed my maintenance calories without exercise would be so low (I would have guessed 1800, which would have me gaining nearly a pound a week!)

Again, these are just my recommendation based on what you've said here, and I can't guarantee they are the right recommendations. But I wish you the best of luck!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Thanks. I should clarify. I don't mean
    physical "tired" I mean emotional tired (sorry)
    discouraged is the word I should have used.
    I have lots of energy for the most part.
    But if eating more than 1200 calories
    is going to work, Tthen I'll have to program
    the site to give me more calories somehow,
    I guess. Another thing that confuses me is
    I hear a lot about having more energy
    while restricting calories as one gets older.
    To be blunt, I don't know what to believe.
    Thanks for the input.

most people on a calorie restrictive diet eat very close to their maintenance calories. they don't restrict themselves to 1200 a day; it's usually around 1600 for a woman and 1900-2000 for a male.

tell MFP you only want to lose .5 lb per week. See what number for your daily calories it will come up with in that scenario.

Your doc is right. 1200 is pretty low. I can't lose on 1200 either... I now eat 1400-1500 daily, plus my exercise cals. And I am back on track.
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    I actually printed out your post and I thank you. This is a huge help.

From your BMR of 1388, you can now calculate your AMR. There is a math formula for doing that, but I'll just toss a couple out at you in hopes it makes it easier. If you live a primarily sedentary life (outside of exercise), then your AMR is 1526. In other words, that's how many calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN your weight if you aren't exercising. If you lead a moderately active life (spend a good part of your time on your feet), then your AMR is 1655. A very active lifestyle would mean your AMR is 1783.

It is from your AMR that you want to calculate your calorie deficit. So, for instance, if your AMR is 1526, and you eat 1200 calories a day (which would be safe even though it is below your BMR because you are more than 10-15 pounds overweight), then you are going to lose a little more than half a pound a week. And that is if you are very religious about 1200. If you are like me :bigsmile: sometimes 1200 means 1250 or maybe even 1300. And those extra calories make quite a bit of difference.

In order to create a deficit if your AMR is 1526 of five hundred calories a day (one pound a week weight loss), then you need to workout. Given that you've been walking for 30 minutes a day for a year, I'm thinking your body has metabolized to that and you probably aren't burning too many calories during that activity. I don't know that for sure, but it is likely. So as you've indicated, it is probably time to shake up that activity.

These factors (a low AMR and your current workout regime) could very well be why you've not noticed any weight loss in the past 2-3 weeks--because your deficit isn't enough yet to actually register a significant weight loss.

So my recommendation to you is to NOT increase your calories (unless you are leading a very active lifestyle) too much unless you really start pushing the intensity of your workouts. Instead, if I were you, I'd focus on the workouts first and, eventually, try to get an accurate reading on what you are burning once you've increased the intensity of the workouts (for example, with a heartrate monitor). Whether you are sedentary or mildly active, I would say that once you start burning over about 200-300 calories a day, then maybe start eating back some of your workout calories--but just those above about the 200-300 burned. (In other words, if you burn 500 calories, maybe eat back half of those).

It is very frustrating for those of us with low metabolic rates to lose weight, and I so understand that because I'm totally in your boat. But once I figured out how much I really am supposed to be eating to maintain my weight if I'm not exercising (which is, like I said, 1450 calories a day), then I came to a much better understanding of how I was eating too much because, quite honestly, I never dreamed my maintenance calories without exercise would be so low (I would have guessed 1800, which would have me gaining nearly a pound a week!)

Again, these are just my recommendation based on what you've said here, and I can't guarantee they are the right recommendations. But I wish you the best of luck!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    Yes, thank you so much. Hopefully, I can get moving now!

Thanks. I should clarify. I don't mean
    physical "tired" I mean emotional tired (sorry)
    discouraged is the word I should have used.
    I have lots of energy for the most part.
    But if eating more than 1200 calories
    is going to work, Tthen I'll have to program
    the site to give me more calories somehow,
    I guess. Another thing that confuses me is
    I hear a lot about having more energy
    while restricting calories as one gets older.
    To be blunt, I don't know what to believe.
    Thanks for the input.

most people on a calorie restrictive diet eat very close to their maintenance calories. they don't restrict themselves to 1200 a day; it's usually around 1600 for a woman and 1900-2000 for a male.

tell MFP you only want to lose .5 lb per week. See what number for your daily calories it will come up with in that scenario.

Your doc is right. 1200 is pretty low. I can't lose on 1200 either... I now eat 1400-1500 daily, plus my exercise cals. And I am back on track.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Once you start adding more exercise to your journal, it will automatically give you more calories to eat. So maybe MFP is just encouraging you to exercise more.

How many calories does it give you when you add a 30 minute walk? That alone will boost it up.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Good luck girl! let us know how you do!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    I just want to say a huge thank you collectively. I really gained
    some important insight into my weight loss journey.

Good luck girl! let us know how you do!