Treadmill vs Outdoor running?

Options
NiciS72
NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
OK, so I admit I'm a novice at this running gig. That said, I've been doing really well outside at the high school track. Well, Saturday morning they tore it up so they can replace it with a brand spanking new football field and track. So now that my venue is out until next year I tried the sidewalk. OMG did my shins hurt from that. So last night I tried the treadmill at home. I didn't go even half the distance and I was super overheated. Took me over an hour AFTER my shower to cool off and stop being red. Plus I got that damn overexertion headache. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to combat this? I really want to be able to run inside as winter is fast approaching. The gym has a track, but it's 13 laps for a mile instead of 4 at the HS track. Oh, and the treadmill is in the basement, so it's in the coolest part of the house. What are your thoughts/opinions/ideas?

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    what were your settings at on the treadmill?? cause, for me anyways, outside running is much harder for me than treadmill running...were you pushing it harder than you normally would outside do you think?
  • briehill
    Options
    If you're finding you're getting over heated try putting a fan to blow on you. You might also be going at a faster pace on the treadmill then what you were running on the track which is why you were getting overheated. Honestly though I don't run so not sure. I'm trying to start (soon as I get rid of my shin splints) so am interested to hear what other people have to say.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    OK, so I admit I'm a novice at this running gig. That said, I've been doing really well outside at the high school track. Well, Saturday morning they tore it up so they can replace it with a brand spanking new football field and track. So now that my venue is out until next year I tried the sidewalk. OMG did my shins hurt from that. So last night I tried the treadmill at home. I didn't go even half the distance and I was super overheated. Took me over an hour AFTER my shower to cool off and stop being red. Plus I got that damn overexertion headache. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to combat this? I really want to be able to run inside as winter is fast approaching. The gym has a track, but it's 13 laps for a mile instead of 4 at the HS track. Oh, and the treadmill is in the basement, so it's in the coolest part of the house. What are your thoughts/opinions/ideas?

What does it matter if it's 13 laps vs 4 laps? It's still 1 mile?

I run outside, on the street. Sometimes I run on the treadmill, if it's inclement weather.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    The treadmill is actually a great alternative to help eliminate some of the impact on the knees and I would suggest making sure that you are NOT walking on an incline for long periods of time as this will cause or can cause shin splnts.

I usually have my clients do hill intervals and when they climb the hill, I put the pace down low as they climb. They love me for that one :laugh:

You may also be going too hard and fast if you are overheating and having a long recovery time happening.

I am here if you need any help. Just message me anytime.

Coach Nyla
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Get used to the treadmill for now. Alternate your days running inside and outside as winter approaches. I typically run in the morning and turn off the furnace until I am done during the winter. Then on nice days, will bundle up and run outside if it not to cold. Same area as you.
  • chipmafia
    chipmafia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The thing about treadmills is they never (or shouldn't) slow in their pace, whereas when you run outside, you slow your pace without realizing it.

I'm no expert or anything, but it may also have something to do with the oxygen available outside versus your basement. If your body was struggling to get oxygen, you would feel overexerted.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Living in MI and having a small child I depend greatly on my treadmill. I love to run outside with a partner but it doesn't always happen. It sounds like you were going a little too fast maybe? I'd suggest something like the couch to 5K...it is a great program. Also, you could set up a fan in front of you and make sure you have plenty of water on hand to grab when needed. When I run at home I'm not concerned at all about what I'm wearing which means just a tank or sports bra and shorts....whatever keeps me cooler. Keep at it. You'll figure out what works best for you in no time.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    The only way I combated my shin splints is by doing stretches for at least 5 minutes before my walks.
    Sitting down, put your leg out in front of your body. Tilt your foot as far back as it can go towards you then extend your foot into a point like a ballerina. Do that at least 30 times on each foot...sometimes more if its sore from the day before. Runners stretches helped quite a bit as well. (might wanna you-tube it cause its hard to explain)
    If your having a really tough time with shin splints try inclining the treadmill to at least 5 and a maybe 3.5-3.8mph. It made it better for me...However, you will feel it in the butt...lol
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to run inside too. I think the changing scenery makes it go faster and not concentrate as much as what the timer is saying or what pace number you are running at.

I think it feels like I'm moving faster outside,
  • nanegan
    nanegan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To obtain the same pace on a treadmill, you must have an incline. The motor moves you. Outside, your pace does vary but it is the average that matters. Try running in the street (the bike lanes are great, just make sure you are running opposite traffic; that way you can get on the sidewalk as needed). If you just started, shin splints are most likely overuse. Cut back on the running - do run/walk. You will build up mileage.

Of course, I live in Phoenix and run outside when it is in the 90s in the early morning hours during the summer before the sun is up - so we are enjoying the 60s in the mornings now.
  • NiciS72
    Options
    So I would say my pace was definitely slower as I maybe did 3/4 of a mile in half an hour last night between walking/running when usually I can get in 2 miles in about 40 minutes at the track. I took the incline off as I have a tendency for shin splints.

I like the idea of turning off the furnace. Not sure everyone else will like that idea! I'll try the C25k program, it looks doable. Not sure if this is just my crazy system with overheating. I've had this issue since I was a small child. I LOVE raquetball, but cannot stand to be in the court for more than 15 minutes or I turn beet red and then have a headache for days. This happens outside as well if I don't hydrate myself with gallons of water when it's super hot. Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question, drink a ton of water!

Thanks for the replies!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 3 things - put a fan on, go a little slower, and do a long walking cooldown. That's for the headache - I hate those with a passion, but I find that if I extend my cooldown up to 10 minutes, I can usually make it go away.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to run inside too. I think the changing scenery makes it go faster and not concentrate as much as what the timer is saying or what pace number you are running at.

I think it feels like I'm moving faster outside,

I agree. I'm a novice runner and can only do a couple of miles before walking, but when running outside you have little mini-goals to reach (I stopped at that corner last time - I'll carry on running this time) and the changing scenery to look at. I went on the treadmill today and managed six minutes. I wasn't even tired - just bored.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I typically walk a 2 mile loop around our area lake that is uphill both ways. :smile: With the cooler weather (below 98 degrees) I have been able to do more interval training on the straight-aways and downhills. I definitely have better time than when I am doing the treadmill set at elevation 1. I have not ran on a track in awhile, but it just looks so long! I can watch the little blipping light on the treadmill go around the track, but actually seeing the distance makes it hard for me.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to change up.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I live in Miami and have a heart condition, and the heat in the summer months is unbearable. I do almost all my running between April and October on a treadmill. I just do a little more distance or go a little faster or put it at a very slight incline to bring up the resistance a little more. I transition to track running in the winter or cycling, and it seems to go smoothly.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I run both places, not regularly but when I have time to fit it in with my other exercises.

Here's my thoughts on the 2:

INSIDE RUNNING:
    Treadmill running is definitely easier. I can run 30 mins easy at 5.0 mph and 2.0 incline and get about 2 miles+ in. My treadmill is in the basement, so it's cooler. Mine also has a fan built in, and I usually add a fan. it also has cushioning built it so it's easier on my knees, etc.

OUTSIDE RUNNING
    Definitely harder (my only choice is sidewalks). I can only run about half a mile most times and have to walk in between. I am also more sore (like my lower back) from running outdoors.

I work both as I would like to do a 5k. I see inside running as working my cardio and just getting a good fat burning session, as I have 40 lbs to lose yet. When I run outside I'm working on...well, my running and working towards building up distance. The cardio and weight loss I get from the treadmill, helps my outdoor sessions become easier. If I ran nothing but outside, I'd be frustrated since I can't go as far. But when I hop on the treadmill I can usually tell a difference. I can go faster, up the incline etc.
  • NiciS72
    Options
    So in case anyone was wanting to know I tried again tonight. I did intervals walking at 2.8 and then run/jog at 4.2 both with no incline. I started at 1.5 min running then worked up to 2 minutes with a minute to 2 between depending on how out of breath I was. I also had a squeeze bottle of 32 oz of electrolyte water. I did get awful hot and sweaty, but not beet red! I can feel a headache in the sidelines, but I'm drinking lot's of water to combat it. Hopefully tomorrow I won't have a headache all day like yesterday!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So in case anyone was wanting to know I tried again tonight. I did intervals walking at 2.8 and then run/jog at 4.2 both with no incline. I started at 1.5 min running then worked up to 2 minutes with a minute to 2 between depending on how out of breath I was. I also had a squeeze bottle of 32 oz of electrolyte water. I did get awful hot and sweaty, but not beet red! I can feel a headache in the sidelines, but I'm drinking lot's of water to combat it. Hopefully tomorrow I won't have a headache all day like yesterday!

Try taking some Advil. It's the only thing that takes my headaches down.