HELP!!

Options
I have been back on MFP for a little over two weeks now and within the first week I lost almost 5 lbs but now I seem to be stalling a bit, in fact I gained 1 1/2 lbs over the weekend. I am feeling extremely discouraged today to the point where I could sit and cry. I am currently at 275 and I know this is SO unhealthy! I feel like just giving up and being fat the rest of my life. I need some help from anyone who is willing. Am i doing something wrong? please please give me some pointers on what I should be eating within calorie range but to still be full. I sometimes eat a 400 calorie dinner and STILL FEEL HUNGRY!

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Well, without seeing your diary, it's hard to know what's going on. Also, when you say you gained weight over the weekend, did you stick to your calories? Are you weighing the same time each week and only once a week? Did you measure
    ?
  • brownm71
    Options
    Be strong!!! If you drink lots of water like more that 64 oz in a day then it will make you feel full. It does for me. Friend me and we will do this thing together. Im at 280 and want to get down to 200. Ive been doing this for a little less than a week and have lost 6 lbs.
  • kskaare
    kskaare Posts: 21
    Options
    Veggies, veggies, veggies. Low calorie, high fiber... high "volume" food. Start adding a large green salad--- w/ lots of veggies to lunch and dinner. Eat the salad FIRST. And, for dressing: stick to oil and vinegar--- no bottled dressings.

I eat a salad at each meal and I eat it first, this "100 calorie" addition to the meal can really bulk up my 400 calorie dinner. Also, at 275, are you eating about 1600 calories per day? You should be. Also, make your 400 cals at dinner go farther: lean protein, lots of veggies... lower starch options (quinoa not potatoes). If you have a hard time really controlling your eating: start off with fresh veggies and packaged meals (if you dont have a salt problem/high bp).

You CAN do this... 1 lbs at a time!

Friend me and we'll do this together!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate up to 4 lbs per day, depending on what you eat, drink etc. You have onlybeen back for two weeks. And i m sure i t took longer than two weeks to put the weight on. On the success front, you lost five lbs! Tats awesome. Keep going hard and you will keep seeing results as the months pass by.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Did you maybe eat really salty stuff over the weekend? Could that or something else be causing you to retain fluid? That can jack up weight, multiple lbs, in just a few hours. But it's also easy to get rid of, so hang in there. If you're not already, set your food diary to track sodium for you as well as fat, carbs, and protein. It's amazing and irritating how much sodium hides in stuff.

It's difficult to tell you what might have been the culprit w/o knowing what you've eaten. But in general, things high in fiber help keep you full, as does protein. So if you make sure you're eating a lot of good veggies that will help. So will beans, like great northern, pinto, kidney, etc. You can add some to a pot of chili, throw them on a taco salad, add them to a stir fry. They are a bit calorie dense, so don't go overboard with serving sizes if you're eating a lot of other stuff that meal, but they're filling, so they really should help. Just watch out for empty calories, ones with little or no nutritional value. Veggies like the kind you'd put in salads are high in fiber but low in calories, so you can eat a huge side salad and that will really help you stay full longer. Just watch the serving size on your salad dressing, and try not to get one that's super high in sugar.

Good luck. You CAN do this! Just hang in there and know that there will be bumps in the road, but they don't have to be any more than that.
  • AnitaAyerd
    Options
    "There's no authentic goal you can set for yourself that can't be reached, no dream that can't be realized." Jillian Michaels. I just read this this a.m. in Prevention and it stuck with me today. Are your goals realistic? I'm trying to lose just 10 at a time - totally do-able (not even thinking about the next 10 after that). All 400 calories are not equal - a small treat could be 400 calories and gone in less than 30 seconds. A plate of protein, fiber and veggies can be 400 and last until breakfast. Are you going for quality calories? Weight fluctuates too much to worry about what could be a 1.5 glitch. Don't weigh yourself too often (just focus on nutrition and moving more).
  • litelight
    Options
    Hi Ginger!
    Try not to stress over it too much. I've read 1-2 lb fluctuations are normal. Without being too personal, is it that time...or close? Our cycles can impact our weight...and our eating unfortunately.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    try to 2 cups of water before each meal…
    stick with veggies, no sauces or butter or at least in moderation.
    Measure your portions and make sure you are staying in the right guides.
    you need to eat… brown rice not mashed potatoes, Green veggies not yellow.
    Keep your meat portions in check and double or triple up your veggies (just don’t put butter on them)
    A LOT of times over the weekend we eat more sodium than normal, so drinking extra water should help flush that out.
    Don’t feel discouraged, just keep pushing yourself to get where you want to be.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Ginger!
    Try not to stress over it too much. I've read 1-2 lb fluctuations are normal. Without being too personal, is it that time...or close? Our cycles can impact our weight...and our eating unfortunately.

Amen to that! :grumble:

And as to veggies, besides salads, you can roast them--pick a nice variety, like carrots, broccoli, asparagas, cauli, mushrooms, spread some olive oil on a foil-lined baking sheet, roll the veggies in it to coat lightly, pop that into the oven and roast at about 400-425 for 20 or 25 minutes, then sprinkle with garlic salt or whatever your favorite seasoning is. It's amazing how preparing them differently changes the way they taste. If you're not thrilled with the idea of a veggie, try it cooked a different way. Lightly steamed in the microwave, and then sprinkled ever so lightly with finely shredded cheddar cheese. Or try combining them. A stir fry of several veggies is really good and allows you to go heavy on the veggies, lighter on the higher-calorie meats and still have a hearty meal.
  • gingerlee05
    Options
    Thank you all so very much! You have given me some great things to think about and to try! It's amazing to me the way everyone on here supports everyone else. I'm almost thinking I haven't been drinking enough water because I think I get so caught up in not going over my calories that I kinda forget about the whole drinking water thing!
  • gingerlee05
    Options
    WOW! Thats awesome! Great Job!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This will work. Instead of getting upset, get determined. There is alot of help on here. People here will support you.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This will work. Instead of getting upset, get determined. There is alot of help on here. People here will support you.

AMEN TO THIS!!!!!!:flowerforyou: