Protein

Options
Okay, so I've heard a couple of times that getting the right amount of protein is important in the weight loss journey. Can someone tell me why, how much and some low cal ways to get some more??

Replies

• CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    egg whites
    chicken breast
    greek yogurt, non fat
    turkey breast
    shakeology
    muscle provider (beverly international)
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I've been told 1g per pound of lean body mass...
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Lean Muscle requires more calories at rest than fat tissue.

If you are exercising, particularly resistance, and not providing your body with enough protein, it may break down other muscle tissue to get the nutrients it needs to repair the muscles you've just worked.

If you are not maintaining lean muscle mass while losing fat, your base metabolic rate will decrease, making it more difficult than ever to lose fat.
  • jhagen65
    Options
    I've read that the 40/30/30 rule is a good rule to follow. Based on the number of calories alloted for you to loss weight (e.g. 1400) that means that 40% of your calories (or 560 calories) should come from good sources of carbohydrates (veggies, whole grains, brown rice, etc), 30% (or 420 calories) should come from low fat proteins (lean red meats, chicken breast, fish, etc.) and 30% (420 calories) from good fats (olive oil, avacado, nuts). Hope that helps! :smile:
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    I try to get between 60 to 80 grams of protien a day. I drink the premier protein shakes it has 30grams of protein per shake and only 160 calories. great shake.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Check out these sites..they should help..

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

I use a 40-30-30 % ratio myself
  • mcivabowden
    Options
    I use protein shakes after my workouts. I eat chicken, pork, beef jerky, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.....
    I aim for 100 grams of protein a day

5131802.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LotusLoo
    Options
    Lean meats (in particular, white meat poultry without the skin to reduce fat)
    Seafood (usually low in fat, although some fish (like salmon) may be a higher in fat, but it's the good fat! omega 3 fatty acids!)
    Low fat dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt (especially Greek yogurt), eggs)
    Soy and quinoa for plant-based complete proteins
    Then, if you pair it with a whole grain, nuts, beans, and some seeds work too
    For supplementing, whey protein and casein have been found to be the most effective for rebuilding muscle.

Reposting:
    Muscle is constantly breaking down, hence why everyone needs protein throughout the day (in spread out servings) to maintain lean muscle mass on the body. The more you workout, the more protein that you'll need to maintain or gain lean muscle. For a general person doing general exercise (non-athlete), protein intake can be determined using the following equation: (body weight in kg) x (0.8)
    To get your body weight in kg, just divide your body weight in pounds by 2.2. Also, on that 0.8 part - this can vary depending on how active you are. If you are very active and workout more intensely than the averge person, that number can up (no more than 1.8).

Also, the ideal range (backed by research) for protein consumption after a workout is 10-20 grams. Many people do more than this, but 20 grams is about the max your body can take in and use all at one time regardless of body weight. More than 20 grams and you're looking at excess calories that either get excreted as waste or end up being stored around the waistline as body fat. So, if you are looking to gain lean muscle mass, then be sure to spread out your servings of protein (10-20g) with a couple of hours between.