Plantar faciitis and exercising

Options
I have plantar faciitis pretty bad on my left foot, I actually went to urgent care and had xrays to confirm it wasn't a spur. I have had it for about 6 weeks now, and actually wore a wrap around my ankle and foot during my wedding because it was so painful.

I have been doing the exercises and stretches as well as the low-dye taping and it is not getting better. My husband and I want to start planning to try to have a baby in late spring early summer of next year. But I want to start getting into better shape before trying to concieve. But with my foot as painful as it is.. I can't go jogging etc to bump up the cardio to lose weight,.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    Water aerobics, or just swimming in general. I have plantar facitis and tendonitis in my knee and the pool really helps with both. Good luck!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My wife has the same thing. We purchased bikes and have been having a great time riding together almost every day .... After the baby, you can get a baby trailer (with a seat belt and roll bar PLEASE) and still do it!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Have u tried a lacrosse, tennis or golf ball? Place foot on top and roll it around for awhile.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, my right foot has been bothering me for a while and somedays my workouts aren't what they should be. I've tried stretching, icing and naprosyn but nothing lasts. If find something please let me know
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about what you can do?
  • GabbyBrown
    Options
    Ive had the same thing for YEARS and the best thing I can find that worked for me was to sleep in one of those strap on casts that holds your foot flexed at an upward angle. Its uncomfortable and first and hard to walk in if you have to get up and go to the restroom but I found that when i went to bed my foot would draw up while sleeping and then when I would wake up in the morning and try and walk it would "re-tear" the fibers in the fascia and re-injur. It usually takes a few weeks of this but very worth it to avoid the pain. Just stretch really well before bed, put the "cast" on. In the morning remove before getting up, stretch carefully as to not re-injur and then get out of bed. Good luck
  • amerrill1
    Options
    I have been struggling with the same issue. Let's get this out of the way....you should consult with your doctor on treatment. My experience, as with others I have talked with, you must minimize the time on your foot so it can heal, ice and take advil. I get my cardio either through riding my mountain bike (dirt or road) or riding my stationary bike at home. Swimming would be another great exercise if you have access to a pool. But I need to ice and take advil more regularly. I have lost over 20 pounds this last month and have noticed a big improvement. That would be all I could suggest. Hope it helps.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had PF that jumped from foot to foot for about 4 years. The main thing that helped was to lose weight. My feet don't hurt anymore and it's wonderful!

One really bad days, I went to the gym and did the elliptical and orbital. On good days, I walked my dogs a couple of miles. You need to be sure to stretch your hamstring and calves really well after exercise and when you first get up in the morning and when you get up from sitting for a while.

Flip flops, slide on shoes and bare feet are a BIG no no when you have PF. You can try inserts, but they didn't help all that much, at least for me.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had PF really bad and went to see the doctor because walking hurt and it wasn't going away. He said it was tight calf muscles and gave me a list of about 10 calf stretches. The only two I do regularly now are: 1) the regular one foot in front of the other stretch; and 2) heel lowering off the star stretch. I know those are the official names :) Anyway, I do these regularly, almost every day, and no more PF. I also do hamstring stretches regularly. I cycle and spin a lot.
  • caffn8d
    caffn8d Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know this is only a temporary solution, but I have had cortisone shots from the podiatrist and they have helped a lot. It lasts for months. It took a couple of tries to get just the right spot, but I am virtually pain-free.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Special shoe inserts work wonders.
    Feels like you have a golf ball under your foot, but the pain goes away.
    I wore them for years until they were worn out.
    I've not replaced them, and the pain stayed away.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has this and SWEARS by the Vibram 5-finger shoes! They look weird, but he swears that exercising with them has erased any sign of the Plantar faciitis!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has this and SWEARS by the Vibram 5-finger shoes! They look weird, but he swears that exercising with them has erased any sign of the Plantar faciitis!
  • amerrill1
    Options
    I also bought the running shoe with the most cushion (New Balance 993 fit my wide foot). The most comfortable dress shoes for work was still to hard and painful so I bought super cushiony gel inserts. And that was helped a great deal.
  • JCMercyGrace
    Options
    I had it terribly bad several years ago. Tape etc also, helped, but not enough. My podiatrist then made orthotics for me (from molds of my feet). It took a while, but after time and consistent wearing the orthotics (so no sandals...) the pain diminished. I find that many styles of Crocs fit my feet the same, so now it's either Crocs or some shoe which fit my orthotics.
    I don't know if "The Good Feet Store" or "Dr. Schols" inserts might work as well, if you get something more specific for your feet, not just the ones off the rack at Walmart.
    My orthotics have truly made a huge difference!!
    I hope you get the help you need, and the weight and the fitness then come easily!!!
  • kikent
    kikent Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I was told I had to order the special shoe to sleep in, and I am considering the sleeping shoe. I have been doing the calf stretches, the ball under the foot, the towel and pulling the ball of my foot.. I have like 10 stretches I do daily.. and icing. 6 weeks and nothing. In the morning I can't walk on it at all.. and I know flats and flip flops are no-nos.

I will try my bike and see if it helps.. and swimming.. always good!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had quite severe plantar faciitis in both feet until I started wearing Mephisto Sano shoes. They are quite expensive (over $300), but I got them in black patent leather and have worn the same pair nearly every day for more than a year now. They are cute enough to wear with black pants for a slightly dressy look as well as to the gym and for walking. They completely cured all my foot problems -- I can walk for miles now with no pain. Before I discovered this "cure" I did see a podiatrist, who recommended some inserts that helped a little bit.
    Another piece of advice -- don't go barefoot. Always have shoes or sandals with some support handy even if you are just walking from your bedroom to the bathroom -- your feet need good support at all times.
    As far as aerobic exercise goes, if walking is painful, try spinning, swimming or the elliptical machine. This should help keep you in shape until you get your foot problems under control.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I had a horrific time with plantar fasciitis. It hit me during the 2 months of pregnancy and I had no clue until 3 months after my daughter was born and I finally went to a podiatrist. I would cry and think it was never gonna get better and that I was gonna have to have the surgery to correct it. It was so hard to jump out of bed to get to my daughter if she was crying because once I stepped down...well those who've had it know! I would hop over and try not to put any weight on that foot. My Dr said as weight came down it would get better and he was right. Although I would cry because I thought how the hell are you suppose to exercise with so much freakin pain! He ordered custom orthorics for me and I'm not the best at wearing actual shoes( flip flop lover) so I can wear my inserts but that did wonders when I did wear tennis shoes. So if you don't have orthotics get to a podiatrist and get some. That'll help with walking etc. So you can drop pounds. You need that support for your foot!

My biggest piece of advice is try to get rid of it before you get pregnant. I don't want to wish what I went thur on my worst enemy. So painful. I just thought it was because I was so far along in my pregnancy and big.
    Good luck!
  • Nic620
    Options
    I know this is only a temporary solution, but I have had cortisone shots from the podiatrist and they have helped a lot. It lasts for months. It took a couple of tries to get just the right spot, but I am virtually pain-free.

Yes!! That helps out a lot! I did 3 rounds of cortisone shots into my foot from the podiatrist! Inquire about it!
  • Nic620
    Options

Yes!! That helps out a lot! I did 3 rounds of cortisone shots into my foot from the podiatrist! Inquire about it!