Pole Dancing

Options
Hello lovely MFP'ers!

I am starting a pole dancing class tomorrow (I'm very excited!), but I don't have an HRM - it is top of my xmas list though! Has anyone got any idea if there is anthing similar to this in the database, or could give me any idea how many calories it'd burn? I'm 5'9" and about 132lbs.

Many thanks :)

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You can use my HRM but you'll have to pole dance for me.
    lol
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    On the serious side I would probably think it would burn 3-6 calories a minute depending on how intense you go. There are online calorie burn calculator. Google for one of those. Hope this post helps. LOL
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can use my HRM but you'll have to pole dance for me.
    lol

Haha! Tomorrow is my fist class, so I imagine if I did pole dance for you it'd provide more comedy, than allure... but thanks for the offer ;)
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    250cal an hour on average (google is a great tool)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    250cal an hour on average (google is a great tool)

<3
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I did some classes I found that it didn't get my heart rate up that much but it really works your muscles loads and ached after!!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys, I had a look and I think the best thing is to log it as gymnastics (that says I'd burn about 230ish an hour). I am dong it more for upper body strength, increased flexibility, and FUN! But it's good to get an idea of how much I'll burn too.

Thanks again :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just log as you can. When you get the HRM you will just increase your accuracy.

and I'm sorry, all I can think now is of professional dancers wearing hear rate monitor belts.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the calorie burn, but I started going twice a week (hour long classes) about 10 weeks ago. We probably spend 10 minutes warming up and stretching. 40 minutes doing pole stuff including pole climbs, and then 10 minutes at the end doing jumping jacks (or some cardio thing), crunches in all sorts of ways and pretty much always push ups! I sweat buckets every class. My muscles definitely ache. I do get bruises.. but you get them less and less the more you go. I really enjoy it.
    I'm moving up to level 2 on the next round and I've also started acro pole... did my first kick up today. It's a very cool feeling to know you can go from standing next to the pole to hanging upside down on it with one little hop lol.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ooh, this sound verrrrry interesting!!! I have to find a class.....
  • RedPaperClip
    Options
    It all depends on your level - beginner - Int would probably be about 3 cal per minute but when you get up to advanced stuff like holding hard inverts etc it can apparently be 400 cal an hour - actually I quite believe that!!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just log as you can. When you get the HRM you will just increase your accuracy.

and I'm sorry, all I can think now is of professional dancers wearing hear rate monitor belts.

i do sometimes wear mine when teaching and practicing to see how much i burn!!
    and i am a professional lol
  • weelee87
    weelee87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey i use my HRM and for a 90min class burn about 250 cals. I'm 5ft and weigh 129 pounds. Does that help? I'm a beginner, just learnt the first 6 starter moves :) great fun, very sore and very very addictive! I think that although its not a huge amount of calories, you are basically using your body for weight training as you are lifting yourself :happy: