Have any ladies with PCOS tried the glycemic load diet?

Options
I'm reading a book about the glycemic load method and find it interesting. I take metformin 500mg 2xs daily and so far have used the calorie counting method. I am having some luck with it but I'm curious about this method. Has anyone had any luck with this method?

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I try for a low GI diet and have found it helps.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I eat Low GI, but maintain my carbs around 120-150ish. I found that the lower my carbs are the better off I am. Just eating Low GI and not keeping track did not help me.
  • McPenguin
    Options
    It's helped me immensely! I have PCOS, and could not control my sugars or insulin. :( My doctor refused to prescribe Metformin (even though I'd been on it before and it helped.)

Eating Low GI helped me to lower my sugars (lower carbs = lower blood sugars) and my insulin levels went normal. When my insulin was normal, my other hormones went normal... and the PCOS symptoms died down. NOW I'm actually losing weight. But I couldn't lose a pound before I stopped eating simple carbs.

I now actually don't eat any bread/muffins etc - even the ones the GI diet says are okay. It's more strict than the G.I. diet... but that's because I found my energy levels were more even once I cut them out.

Hope that helps! I'd say try it - get through the first days of cravings for carbs (you might get the shakes and /or headaches while withdrawing, I did!)... and see if you feel better, have more energy, lose more weight, etc. It won't hurt to try it!
  • McPenguin
    Options

Exactly. G.I. was good, but not good ENOUGH for me. Low carb is now the way I eat... but G.I. was a good stepping stone to getting here! :)

Thanks for the article link, interesting read! It's worked for me so far!
  • withanh1
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I have PCOS and am on metformin but still need to keep my sugars under control. I failed my 2 hour glucose tolerance test the other day and just had my hemoglobin a1c drawn and am still awaiting the results. So I am looking at eating based on keeping my glycemic load down. Any suggestions from your experience? Thanks for any comments.
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I too have pcos. I take Metformin 3xa day. I also was diagnosed with diabetes recently. Dr. advised me that if I lose the weight that my diabetes could go into remission. So here I am! How long did any of you with pcos start seeing any results? I know that with pcos its a tad more difficult to lose weight than normal.:happy: