Ideas for execrises at work?

Options
I work as a secretary and trying to find ways to execrise at my desk. I currently find reasons to go up and downstairs and walk around more but still leaves about 7.5 hours of sitting. Any ideas or good websites?
Thanks
Jan

Replies

• hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    BUMP
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    dips on the arms of your chair?
  • bubbles006
    Options
    1. bounce your leg.
    2.tightin your stomach hold then release
    only ideas that came to mind
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    It is easier for me to eat at my desk than work out, so I use my lunchtime to stretch, run, ride, walk, do core work, etc. and eat later.
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    I do a bit of running on the spot on my breaks :)
    xx
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    are you allowed to get a balance ball instead of sit on your chair?
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump!!! lol

I actually walk two blocks on break time.. perhaps something is better than nothing.

first break 10 mnts
    lunch time I eat then walk 10 mts
    my last break I walk 10 mts

totals to 30 mts lol!!

TRY IT!! ;)
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch break? I take half of it and walk, then I eat for the other half. (30 min walking, 30 min eating).

We also get two 10-min stretch breaks. I use those to fast walk/jog up and down 8 stories of stairs for the entire 10 minutes...ends up being about 4 round trips up and down. (burns as much, if not more, as walking for 30 mins).

I also do stomach exercises (suck in your gut, crunch your stomach,and count to ten in my head, breathing normally) while sitting at my desk about 20-60 times a day.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Stretches and muscle development - tightening and loosening muscles. You can also do chi kung at your desk - amazingly good for you. I do Tai Chi in the office (must not be too self conscious). There must be loads of other stuff
  • marquesajen
    Options
    If there's a bathroom that locks do some jumping jacks after you use it. Lift books while sitting down.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Definitely more tempted to snack at my desk than workout lol
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sit on your office chair and slightly lift your knees so that your thighs don't touch the chair anymore. Good abs workout!
  • KaraForeman
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work between 9-13 hour days at a reception desk. I take my lunch breaks and go for walks, sit on an exercise ball, and i keep 5 lb weights at my desk so if i have a few minutes to myself ill do arm exercises, squats, lunges, standing crunches - i find i can usually fit in all of these things over the course of the day.
    I also make sure to maximize the times I have to get up to do anything. Ill drink half my water and then get up to refill the cup, walk to the lunch room for every meal, snack i have, deliver messages one at a time instead of doing it all at once, i try to stand a bit when im on the phone or talking to clients as well.
  • much2gain
    Options
    A little cardio: find some stairs and start climbing. :)
    A little strength training: resistance bands. You can take them outside, a closed office, conference room etc.
    If your office is open to it, get co-workers together for a dvd yoga class or schedule walks with them for your breaks. If it's not on my calendar, it's not getting done. Schedule yourself in there. You're worth it!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Google "deskercize" for some more ideas.
  • BellySoonGone
    Options
    I try to avoid to "execrises" altogether.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I walk around with a pad of paper and some notes so it looks like I am doing something.
  • janet5432
    janet5432 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Currently I work at a place walking outside in the neighborhood is not really safe. So walking the neighborhood is not an option:( I use to drive down to the nearby park but the weather will be getting bad soon. They just closed the Y down the street:( I can walk in an empty area at work so that will work. I think that I will even start going up and down the stairs in the back room during lunch.

I get an hour but wish we had the option to leave early instead so I could go to the gym instead of taking an hour.

I had thought about a stability ball. Is it hard to use them all day or do you just use it periodically throughout the day? I am not sure if they would allow it since they have this open environment and everything matches including the chairs.