Emotional Connection to Food

Options
I'm pretty sure I have an emotional connection to food. Today, I've gorged myself on cookies, ice cream, and chips & salsa. It's like I zone out and don't even realize that I've finished a whole pint of Orange Sherbert or an entire bag of chips. Now I feel huge and depressed. It's not like I'm bulimic or anything, and I have every intention of working out tonight, but the point is how do I control this terrible over-eating habit?

Replies

• Allyson1985
    Options
    Portion control.

Only put in front of you what you're willing to eat. Put the rest away or out of sight.
  • clairibou1
    Options
    bump because i have been doing this for like 3 weeks straight and am having serious issues!
  • ianfoster
    Options
    are you looking for some sort of assurance, like that thats ok? that's where you need to start, its not OK and you need to get out of that, then you can move on
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    My daughter tells me "If you don't buy it you won't eat it." Sounds good advice. So hard to do. Try to keep something healthy to munch on.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree either try portion control or dont buy the stuff. Look for healthier snack items for the house this way if you are an emotional eater you only have good options to chose from.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I need to learn how to not turn to food to deal with emotions. Today I was super stressed trying to write a 2000 word essay that I'm having a meeting about tomorrow and I therefore felt the need to eat crisps, chocolate buttons and ice cream with a spoonful of peanut butter mixed in for good measure. What do "normal" people do to deal with stress?? Smokers smoke, alcoholics drink, food addicts eat ice cream and add peanut butter!! Help!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Portion control.

Only put in front of you what you're willing to eat. Put the rest away or out of sight.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I feel you pain, I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad! I also sit and eat and not realise I've finished a whole bar of chocolate!
    I've found that if a log everything I eat, even if it's bad then I tend not to do it so much.
    So far it's working but I haven't had a bad day yet, I hope I won't!
    I'm always here for support if you need it :flowerforyou:
  • isapedeve
    Options
    All begins in your mind. You know, cravings are just an idea that passes through your mind and if you pay enough attention to it, you'll begin to feel you have the urge to eat something in particular. If you let it grow, it'll become something uncontrolable and you'll finish extra eating. Solution? Whenever you feel you're craving for something, drink a whole glass of water, and totally distract yourself into an action that needs your whole attention. If the idea continues bothering, let yourself be absorbed by something possitive instead, like cleaning, working in something complicated or so.
    We also tend to mix signals, we believe we have a craving while we really are thirsty. That's why i recommend that glass of water against any unhealthy-eating wish.
    Good luck and try to controll your toughts!
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find this only happens to me when I am bored. I can anticipate it, feel it coming on like a little green monkey creeping LOL. I go for a walk, leave the house, leave. Boredome is the enemy cause bored hands search for activity. After a walk your self esteem is raised a bit, and it is harder to sabotage the good feeling for something you KNOW makes you feel like POOP. I think it is very linked to self esteem and the psychological need to self sacrifice. I used to deal with this alot and this is what works for me!!! Best of luck, the worst thing you can do is beat yourself down for it cause that will just spur on another low, another binge, and so on. Accept it, own it, overcome it. You got this, your self esteem is what is on the line, not a thing to take for granted. :flowerforyou:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    2 things I'd offer as advice:
    Start looking at food as fuel for your body- not something you "treat" yourself to if you're "good" and deny yourself if you're "bad"
    It's FOOD- Just food. Some are empty calories, some are packed full of nutrition.
    But you're not a dog, and you don't need to "treat" yourself w/ it.
    That MAY help break the emotional attachment of it. I hope it does.

Secondly, IF you indulge- whether your diary is public/private- for your own accountability at least- be honest w/ yourself
    and

LOG EVERY bit you eat- even if you're WAY OVER...*sometimes* ( not always) you can UNdo *some* of the damage by getting in *some* type of exercise---eventually WE realize it's just not worth it to sabotage our own efforts...and it happens less and less.
    This has been MY experience, and MANY others [ can I see a show of hands?]

but let me encourage you to realize EVERY DAY is a new start-
    Realizing that helped me NOT to KEEP on going, believing the lie that " I've ALREADY blown it...might as well keep going..."
  • Maff87
    Maff87 Posts: 39
    Options
    What do "normal" people do to deal with stress?? Smokers smoke, alcoholics drink, food addicts eat ice cream and add peanut butter!! Help!

Exercise? Lock their cupboards?? haha

I think it's all about rewarding yourself with things that arn't food, like a new outfit/tattoo/piercing/jewellery etc

And not buying bad food helps, if you have to go out and buy it...a lot of the time you don't bother
  • Maff87
    Maff87 Posts: 39
    Options

but let me encourage you to realize EVERY DAY is a new start-
    Realizing that helped me NOT to KEEP on going, believing the lie that " I've ALREADY blown it...might as well keep going..."

Great advice :smile:
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A quote I found on here this week has helped me with this: "If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the answer!!"

I am an emotional eater...(or should I say I WAS an emotional eater?) and I would eat when I was happy, sad, stressed, or bored. I had to finally realize that while I may feel better while I am eating, I feel so much worse when I am done! I have learned that it is a decision to eat or not eat that food that is bad for me. If I feel hungry I have to stop myself and find out why I really feel hungry. I sometimes even argue with myself (in my head of course lol)! It is not easy and it is a constant battle, but I feel I am winning more than I am losing the battle now.

If you feel you are hungry go with a small, healthy snack and if you are not hungry enough to eat the healthy choice or if it doesn't sound good, then you probably aren't hungry. You can make the change. Just teach yourself to do something in place of eating. Exercise, sleep, talk to friends, etc. You will get there...and always remember that feeling guilty doesn't help or change what happened. Only making a better choice next time will make you feel better. Just move forward from now on and do your best. We all have slip ups! You can do it!
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Lock their cupboards?? haha

I think it's all about rewarding yourself with things that arn't food, like a new outfit/tattoo/piercing/jewellery etc

And not buying bad food helps, if you have to go out and buy it...a lot of the time you don't bother

Today it was cos I was stuck at my computer writing this essay and so couldn't walk the dog or something to take my mind off it (plus, I'd already taken him and he doesn't like walking too much haha). If it was up to me there wouldn't be junk food in the house, but I live with 5 people who LOVE junk food, so it's everywhere. And they keep buying me vegan junk food! Today my sister went to the paper shop and asked me "Do you want anything?" "No thanks" "Sure? How about skittles?" "No thanks, I'm ok." "What about a fanta?" "Uh uh" "Sprite?" "Really, I'm ok." "Vegan peppermint cream?" "For the love of God, I said I'm ok!"... She ended up buying me a scratch card (gambling is my other weakness...). Le sigh.
  • Kortiz622
    Options
    Thank you all soo much! It really helps to talk to people with the same problems. You've all given me some wonderful advice.

Boredom and depression (not loving my job, living alone, blah blah blah) is a big part of it. I know I'm just being lazy, and you're right, if I don't buy it, then I won't eat it. I just have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth. Here's my other big problem: If I do feel the urge to have a little snack, what are some healthier choices?

I know the obvious answer is fruit and vegetables, but that's an issue for me. Let me explain: I won't bore you with the depressing details of my childhood, I'll just say that I cannot eat certain foods without the instant urge to gag/vomit. It's a very long, in-depth story, one I've been dealing with my whole life. This makes dieting a problem for me. It is something I'm getting therapy for finally but will take years to get past. (I will say, however, I'm improving - the other day, I put queso on a chicken fajita WITHOUT picking on the peppers and tomatoes and I ATE IT!) Baby steps, right? :)

Anyway, I truly appreciate your support and any additional advice you can offer. THANKS AGAIN!
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater like many are on this site, but what worked for me for a while was re-evaulating what I need to do. When I get that urge to eat, I take one step back, literally and rethink why I want to eat. Is it hunger or is it just emotions. Eating will not fix the problem if it's not hunger so why resolve it that way. If you still want that junk food, think about how you will feel after you have eaten and will your problem get solved? Good Luck!