Stop staring at the prego in the gym!!!

Options
Ah!!! I get funny looks every time I go to the gym, and it's starting to get annoying! No I am not fat, I'm 39weeks and 5 days pregnant and yes I am still walking on the treadmill, jogging in small stints, and yes lifting light weights! Stop staring at me!! I'm due this Thursday and I want my baby out and I still want my exercise-induced endorphin high too! Lol I swear, do people not realize that there are mirrors all around that I can see behind me and yes I see you staring at my ever widening hips and it makes me uncomfortable!

Any other mommies still working out in a gym and getting annoyed by the stares?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    If you notice people staring at you, you're probably staring, too.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I taught my step class until the week before I gave birth. It became a running joke once I started getting braxton hicks "Hey, A, we delivering halfway through today?" I would have continued to step the following week but the hubs made me stop, he just got too concerned, and talked the club that we both work for into benching me.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I was in school to become a personal trainer when I was preggo. I had my baby and 5 days later was back taking finals. They are probably looking because they are proud of you for continuing. I had to remind my instructor that I was pregnant and not disabled many a time. It was irritating because some people do treat it like a disease. I can do anything preggo that I do when I am not!!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Good on you for keeping it up - it should help with both delivery and post-pregnancy recovery!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I had a now friend, then instructor who taught while pregnant. I was on the elliptical most of the time. She was teaching usually step classes. VERY pregnant. I bet I stared at her, too........All while swearing at the elliptical saying to myself in amazement...."If SHE can do it, I frickin better do it!!!"...Congrats on baby! :)
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You certainly look pregnant (not fat) in your pic--I'd probably stare at you at the gym too, but it would be in awe! Way to go on staying healthy during your pregnancy!

edit: and at least they are just staring, not touching your belly :laugh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I will admit I stare xD

Because I am admiring their dedication! I think it is awesome when I see them
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I seen on the todays show this morning a woman ran the cicago (sorry can't spell) marathan 9 months prego and then had her baby the next day!!!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Let 'em stare! Have you seen this news story about the woman who did the Chicago Marathon at 39 weeks pregnant?
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/7084374/oh-baby-woman-runs-chicago-marathon-gives-birth
  • beckykaz
    beckykaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They probably just think you shouldn't be at the gym- that you should be home on the couch with your feet up taking it easy. Good for you for being at the gym! I hope I'm as active as you when I am pregnant. I want to have a home birth and I want to be in the best shape I can be, which is why I'm trying to get in shape now.

Blessing and best wishes for your delivery.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I will admit I stare xD

Because I am admiring their dedication! I think it is awesome when I see them

Agree!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what u r doing if comfortable. I took a water aerobic class and worked out w that till I had my son. The last class I attended was a wed and then had the baby Saturday. People would stare at me as id walk in everytime and make their comments of whether they will be delivering a baby today there or ask if I should really be there still doing that
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    They're staring because they wouldn't be able to do it themselves - or they're afraid you will go into labor right there!! I worked out (step aerobics, abs class, etc.) until the day before I went into the hospital to deliver both of mine. I got a few stares, but I had been working out at the same gym before I was pregnant and just continued throughout the pregnancy. I had a few people worry that I would go into labor, but I just told them my hospital and doctor were only a block away so they didn't have to worry.

Added benefit is that you should be losing all that baby weight quickly.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Good for you!!! I think it's great that you continue to do your workout at 39 weeks...Yea for you!!! Don't worry about those people staring. Most are probably wondering how you manage to do it, while others may think when they were pregnant they wish they had =)

My niece just delivered her first baby Sunday morning. She did zumba classes up until this past Friday before he came. He wasn't due until the 23rd, but he's here. She did great, almost no pain, and mom and baby are both good.

Keep doing your thing Prego =)
  • janice12366
    Options
    I would be annoyed too! But hey, look at it this way......they're probably just jealous! ;o) Keep up the good work and good luck with the new baby! :flowerforyou:
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    At least you're actually pregnant.

Better then the girls hearing 'when are you expecting??' cause they're just fat.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I will have to admit, I would stare as well... not in judgment but in the wishing I would have been allowed to do what you were doing. Whilst preganant with my children I was told not do any excercising but walking. With my youngest I was bed-ridden the last half of my pregnancy. So yes, I would stare in envy. I will try to keep that in mind in the future though that it makes individuals feel uncomfortable.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you notice people staring at you, you're probably staring, too.

HaHaHaHa.....true....
  • Soni82
    Soni82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep i have stared at a pregnant woman in the gym, and not because i was horrified but because i was in awe of her! she looked amazing and was lifting weights i could only dream of. I was thinking to myself, man i hope i am that dedicated and that energetic when i have babies.

Good on you for keeping up your fitness regime and be proud that people are admiring you :)
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    Good on you!! I was at the gym, working out and also working shift work in a nursing home lifting people, pushing wheelchairs etc up until a week before I had my boy.

The delivery was exceptionally easy, and I put it down to the fact that I kept active and was fit and healthy .. by body was better able to cope with the extra strain put on it during the process of giving birth. I also attribute being up and about walking within a couple of hours of giving birth (while the other women in my ward were struggling to get themselves to the toilet) to keeping so active while I was pregnant.

Some peope will always be of the mindset that a pregnant woman should be at home resting like it is some sort of disability.

I understand some women have complications or their bodies don't cope well with pregnancy limiting their ability to do this, but I think my easy labour and quick recovery are testament to keeping as active as you are able to while pregnant.