Desperatly Need Help....

Options
Hey all, I am having such a hard time staying motivated! I have to use the time that my son is sleeping to work out but I find myself wanting to do other things around the house during that time.... I feel like i am constantly justifying why I can't work out. Need some new sort of angle of motivation! HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• bubbles006
    Options
    the only one your letting down is you. You can stay motivated look at all you've accomplished already do you really want to go back to where you were?:smile: I know you can do it
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Hey all, I am having such a hard time staying motivated! I have to use the time that my son is sleeping to work out but I find myself wanting to do other things around the house during that time.... I feel like i am constantly justifying why I can't work out. Need some new sort of angle of motivation! HELP PLEASE!

I understand not having a lot of time.. I'm currently a stay at home mom of an 18 month old so I am constantly busy with him and have only his naptime to workout, but I schedule my workout for that time, every day, no matter what, and I get it done. I know it's hard, because there's always things to get done around the house during that quiet time, but you have to choose what's more important and make it work. Get up earlier to clean and workout during LO's nap, or vice versa. Your exercise has to be non-negotiable! Find a workout you love and it will keep you motivated to work out. If you're doing something you hate you are never going to stay motivated to do it. For me, it's Turbo Fire.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Your exercise has to be non-negotiable!
    Exactly this. Schedule your workouts as you would any other meeting or appointment. Wake up early before the baby wakes up if you have to, that way you have nap time to do other things.

Turbofire is also my go-to workout, I love it.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I also workout while my kids nap, the only other option I have is to get up super early to do it and I know that won't last. I do it as soon as I lay them down and I take a quit shower right after. When I'm done I actually have a lot more energy to do stuff around the house the remainder of the nap. I do the 30DS and some extra ab stuff currently. Nap time is a good time:smile:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    single mum of 2 under 5 here, so I understand how kids can take up your time.

My kids don't nap, but that doesn't stop me from working out. Sure it might mean I have to press pause to attend to their needs, but they understand that when mummy is exercising to go do something else.
    I use to work out when they were in bed, but I found I wasn't falling asleep until like 1/2am, and then up again at 7am. So I switch my workouts to the day time now.
    Exercise is non negotiable for me, I use to use every excuse not to do it, but i always feel better afterwards.
  • ElizabethHulse
    Options
    The only suggestion I have is to exercise while you are doing things around the house. Like for me, I am constantly picking up toys, dirty clothes, shoes, etc., so while doing it you can do a few squats each time you bend down, jumping jacks in between taking something to where it belongs, etc. Clean, pick up, and organize at a faster pace than what you would normally do it. I have no time for exercise unless I get up early or go to bed late, which never happens... lol. Of course you can just dance the entire time you are cleaning and burn some calories that way too :) Good luck!!
  • birches
    birches Posts: 12
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." - a model said that

My biggest motivation is not the after picture but not wanting to return to the before / fat picture. I am down 35lbs but still less than 1/2 way to my goal, and the idea of going back to the obese person I was is not an option. In other words, find your inspiration - whether it is the skinny you that you want to return to or the overweight you that you want to put permanantly in your past. My friend, Bonnie comes home from work and works out at 10-10:30 at night - I was like OMG, and started dieting and exercising the next week. I thought if she can do that (go to the healthclub that late at night) then I can get on my treadmill for 1/2 hour in my house. So, maybe the comparison against someone making a bigger sacrifice and making that sacrifice will help.
  • mznicoleg
    mznicoleg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i know its raining but have you ever just tried walking the area with the stroller??any home equipment??
  • mznicoleg
    mznicoleg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i know its raining but have you ever just tried walking the area with the stroller??any home equipment??
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    one or both of the blogs in my signature might help. one blog deals with will power/motivation and the other blog contains short, efficient work-outs you can mostly do at home (with little or no equipment)
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What about picking up a dance dvd/video on car boat & do it with them, even if no one gets it right it will be fun to do with the kids. I have Pasty Palmer's club dance workout (was given 10years ago) & today i will do it with my daughter. She loves to dance & we can keep fit together (she is 2yrs) & she might feel tired as no nursery today.
  • sallyv22
    Options
    I know what you mean. When my toddler takes a nap, its so easy to use that time to do dishes, start dinner, bills, research, watch tv uninteruppted for the last time until the whole house goes to bed. Take a nap myself lol.... Two days ago, I put off yoga for a little too long, and had to pause to get her out of her crib. Her diaper was dry, and we live in florida where its always hot, so if at home she is only diaper clad. I restarted my yoga, in hopes she would mimic me, or watch. Or just stay out of trouble. Yeah.... 5 minutes back in, and only ten from the end.. she rips her diaper off, and was naked... I thought " thats fine. if she pees on the rug, I will clean in after... I NEED TO FINISH THIS FOR MYSELF" ..... I never finished the last ten minutes...
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    Hi all! This seems like a great topic for me too. I have a six week old and had just lost 60lbs when we found out we were pregnant and of course, it all came back since I had complications and couldn't work out and then got in trouble for watching my calories closely. Well, not all of it came back but I want to lose the 38lbs I put back on and the 18 more I would need to make my previous goal weight.

My goal for this is tentatively April so I am ready for summer. I have never been a stay at home mom (I went back to work after we had my daughter) but with daycare costs and the fact that my hiusband and I work 40 minutes away in seperate directions from our house, it made more sense to stay at home so I have the baby and my 6 year old. We walk every day, but I'm nursing and it is next to impossible to find a good calorie calculator that takes that into account.

Good luck to all!