Sodium too low?

Options
Hmm just something i have been thinking about lately

I have my sodium set to 1500mg per day. I eat pretty clean right now (no one is perfect). But my sodium seems to be around 700-1000 most days out of the week now. Do you think that is too low?

Like I said I am trying to give clean eating a go. Just do not want it to be dangerous!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've heard you need at least 250-500 mg per day. Sounds to me like you're getting more than enough.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    1500 is my goal, as well. I tend to go over a lot but I am not at risk for heart disease or anything so I don't worry about it.

Just don't go too low. From what I understand, electrolytes are important. Drinking too much water can dilute your electrolytes and is, potentially, fatal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I have my sodium set to 1500mg per day. I eat pretty clean right now (no one is perfect). But my sodium seems to be around 700-1000 most days out of the week now. Do you think that is too low?

Like I said I am trying to give clean eating a go. Just do not want it to be dangerous!

You need anywhere from 500-2000 mg a day depending on activity level. 500 is the minimum, so you're good there, but if you exercise a lot, you will probably need more. As much as people like to demonize sodium and cut it back further and further, it IS a required mineral in order to stay healthy and alive.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake requirement will very based on the kinds of foods you eat. It's kinda complicated, but it should remain in balance with your potassium intake.
  • sphares
    sphares Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of foods from scratch and am not one to grab a salt shaker. In the summer, when I'm training for triathlons, I've been known to not eat enough sodium. I would get really, really tired in the afternoons and just not feel like myself. Once I starting more salt to my diet, I felt much better.

So, listen to your body and if you start feeling a little sluggish, add some more sodium.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

You need anywhere from 500-2000 mg a day depending on activity level. 500 is the minimum, so you're good there, but if you exercise a lot, you will probably need more. As much as people like to demonize sodium and cut it back further and further, it IS a required mineral in order to stay healthy and alive.

Oh trust me im not against sodium! I just lowered to 1500 because of what I have learned in my nutrition course.

Im just noticing that getting sodium while eating clean is a bit harder than I thought. If it wasn't for the canned tuna and occasional sauce I have then it wouldn't even get to that! Never thought I would have trouble getting sodium xD
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of foods from scratch and am not one to grab a salt shaker. In the summer, when I'm training for triathlons, I've been known to not eat enough sodium. I would get really, really tired in the afternoons and just not feel like myself. Once I starting more salt to my diet, I felt much better.

So, listen to your body and if you start feeling a little sluggish, add some more sodium.

I never thought of this... I'm one to love salt, but I've been cutting back and lately I am soo tired it's not even funny, so I never thought that I could be not getting enough sodium lol crazy
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Oh trust me im not against sodium! I just lowered to 1500 because of what I have learned in my nutrition course.

Im just noticing that getting sodium while eating clean is a bit harder than I thought. If it wasn't for the canned tuna and occasional sauce I have then it wouldn't even get to that! Never thought I would have trouble getting sodium xD

Proper use of salt when you're cooking is an important skill to have. :wink: