Mature students

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
This isn't so much of an introduction as I've been on here for months, but I am just wondering if there are any other mature students on here, especially ones trying to balance uni with real life and how you manage to fit exercise into your routine?

My evening circuits classes have finished for a while, and though I still manage to fit in an aerobics class on Monday mornings, I don't have any time during the week to exercise since starting uni 2 weeks ago. I used to run tues and thurs mornings when my son was in nursery, but now I spend every child free minute in the car racing between school runs and lectures. I have half an hour free now, but that's not long enough to get changed, workout and then wash before school pick up. My husband works away from home, so I can't do anything early morning or evenings (except the circuits as I take my children along). I am still running at weekends, but I am going nuts!

I really don't want to put back all the weight I have lost, and I don't want to lose the muscle I am gaining. Help!

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    is waking up early and going for a run an option? or going later in the evening? i have to run between classes and go for a quick (30 minute) run just to fit in something, then maybe you can challenge yourself more on the weekends. does your university have a gym? could you go there later at night? it sucks making time but you gotta look at all your options and decided what you're willing to do
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm a student also. I study at home, though which is easier in a way, harder in others. Its really tough trying to juggle study, kids, work and health. When I concentrate on my fitness and health I usually end up a little rubbish at everything else and I hate that. I'm too much of a perfectionist not to feel down about missed ironing, homework, dinners. :(

Can't offer much help other than I'm in the same sort of boat and understand the difficulties!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I work full time and I'm in my bachelor's program. I'm a wife and a mom of a 17month old girl. My answer is to work out right afterwork.. and if my only option includes having my baby girl with me, then its me, her and the jogging stroller. I don't know what your situation is but this is my answer.. or workout videos at home.
  • tmvdavis
    Options
    I honest dont know how moms go to school! So first off hats off to you. My suggestions are bringing your son with you in the stroller and when he is old enough letting him ride a bike. Also maybe biking riding with an attachment for your son to ride in. I agree with some of the other suggestions too. Finally, what about getting you husband involved? Maybe if it was a family affair it would become more of a priority? Good Luck!
  • fteale
    Options
    is waking up early and going for a run an option? or going later in the evening? i have to run between classes and go for a quick (30 minute) run just to fit in something, then maybe you can challenge yourself more on the weekends. does your university have a gym? could you go there later at night? it sucks making time but you gotta look at all your options and decided what you're willing to do

Not during the week, as my husband works away so I can't leave the children in the house alone. I can't stay at uni later. I only get 9.30am - 3pm 2 days a week, plus one morning without the children and have to fit everything into that.
  • fteale
    Options
    I honest dont know how moms go to school! So first off hats off to you. My suggestions are bringing your son with you in the stroller and when he is old enough letting him ride a bike. Also maybe biking riding with an attachment for your son to ride in. I agree with some of the other suggestions too. Finally, what about getting you husband involved? Maybe if it was a family affair it would become more of a priority? Good Luck!

I don't have a problem exercising when my husband is here. It's when he's not that I am struggling with! I have been doing a lot of exercise for the past year, it's the reduction I am finding frustrating.

My youngest son is 4 so too old for a buggy, but he can't run fast enough to keep up yet.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not married and I don't have kids so maybe for me it's a little easier. I still find it difficult to get my work outs in sometimes. I have found that doing it at home is the best option for me. Jillian Michaels has a ton of videos that are only 20-30 minutes long. If you can find time to do this at night after you put your kid to bed that might work. I'll work out when I need a mental break from all the homework or craziness of the day.
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a mature student but don't have kids - I don't know how you do it!
    Are there any outdoor activities you could do with your kids? e.g. cycling and having the youngest on a kids seat or even just play games with them in the garden or park.
    You could get an exercise video and do that when the kids are in bed?
    How long is your lunch break? Could you have a large breakfast, exercise during lunch and then eat something small when you finish at 3?
    Is there somebody that lives near you that wouldn't mind taking them for an hour or so certain nights of the week? You could pay or reciprocate with their kids.

Good luck with it all!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same, though my boys are a bit older and my husband is around most of the time. Mom of two, full-time university schedule (six classes)--I am a junior in a BSN (nursing) program. My homework is always an emergency and my kids' sports take precedence over my own exercise. Though it is deeply uninspiring, I would suggest working out in front of the TV either before your kids wake up or after they are asleep, depending on whether you are a morning or night person. Find a couple of short video workouts (like 30-day shred, weights, or yoga) to supplement your weekend running. Or if you don't need that much structure, lift weights during a favorite show or movie. Also, if you don't need your short breaks between classes to study (but of course you do, because we're moms), do a brisk walk. I just keep telling myself it won't be like this forever.
  • fteale
    Options
    I'm a mature student but don't have kids - I don't know how you do it!
    Are there any outdoor activities you could do with your kids? e.g. cycling and having the youngest on a kids seat or even just play games with them in the garden or park.
    You could get an exercise video and do that when the kids are in bed?
    How long is your lunch break? Could you have a large breakfast, exercise during lunch and then eat something small when you finish at 3?
    Is there somebody that lives near you that wouldn't mind taking them for an hour or so certain nights of the week? You could pay or reciprocate with their kids.

Good luck with it all!

I don't get a lunch break! I just take a banana or something with me and eat it in the car on the way to lectures, park, run to lectures, run back to car, race home, pick up son from nursery.........etc.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    exercise videos when the kids are playing/sleeping/doing homework etc Press up/push ups etc yoga before bed. Do press ups against the wall at home, tricep exercises while you're cooking. Is walking to school an option (i'm afraid I live in London and don;t own a car so I forget that a lot of people have to drive) Walking is perfectly acceptable cardio and something that can be done with kids in tow and which you generally don;t need a shower after. How about swimming with the kids? Find a gym that has a creche - my one does (and I don't even have kids!!!)

Having said all that from your profile you look like you have lost a lot of the weight you were planning to lose so I think you should relax a bit. You're obviously living a fairly hectic life running around and burning calories that way so go easy on yourself. Don't get stressed about not being able to go the gym - all that cortisol will make you hold on to those last few lbs!

Relax and good luck!
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My youngest son is 4 so too old for a buggy, but he can't run fast enough to keep up yet.

Can he ride a bicycle?
  • fteale
    Options

Can he ride a bicycle?

Not yet. Also I live in the countryside so it wouldn't be easy for him even if he could as it's all off road.
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i'm a full time uni student and single mum to two children.

i fit my gym around my uni timetable during weekdays / schooldays. They also have free clases which i like to go to, this breaks up the routine of the boring gym workout and the people in the group are a good bunch.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    First of all, keep in mind that exercising is not necessary to lose weight. If you keep your calories under goal, you will lose weight without it. So don't stress about getting in enough exercise, just try to fit in what you can.

That said, I'm also taking university classes while working full time and taking care of my family. My son is also attending the university, while living at home, so he's capable of taking care of himself... mostly. My house is a mess because I decided that was one area I could slack a little on right now. I know not everyone can handle that, however, and it even drives me crazy some days.

Some ways I sneak in a little extra exercise:

Always take the stairs. Last semester I had a class on the 9th floor. I did as many flights as I could until I had to bail out and take the elevator the rest of the way. By the end of the semester I was making it all of the way up and wasn't even out of breath.

If you have time between classes, walk. I use the running program on my phone to record a walk around the mall or student union and I'd climb extra stairs in the buildings, etc.

Park as far away from class as you have time for. I park a good 1/4 mile away from my current class, because it's later in the evening and it's dark by the time I leave so I am afraid to park farther away, but last semester I was parking off campus and using the 20 minute walk to and from class as my daily exercise. I walked as fast as I could and arrived to class sweaty and breathing hard, but so what? LOL

I hope this helps a little.
  • deadchildstar
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm also having trouble exercising/finding time...

I've just relocated cities to begin a PhD - after more than a few years out of school. All of this is very exciting, and I'm happy to be starting a new phase of my life.

However, I am having real trouble adjusting, in general, and also in terms of fitness/diet. I can't seem to get into a rhythm.

I signed up at my school's gym, because it's cheap. I am also near a Y and a community rec centre/pool, and a popular biking/jogging path. There's nothing stopping me, in theory. But haven't done any of this yet. The most I've done is walk home from school (about 30 mins), mainly because I'm trying to save money.

The eating side of things isn't too bad, I will say, and when I unpacked my scale (after ignoring it all summer), I discovered I was about 15 lbs lighter than I thought I was!! That was a nice boost. I've been trying to pack a lunch (cheaper), stay away from campus junk food as much as possible. I'm near a farmer's market with lots of fresh/healthy foods.

But - I feel like I have no energy. I can't get up (or I might exercise in the morning). I haven't started any kind of routine. I really want to, but I'm also really good at making excuses. I know myself, and I know that if I get around to exercising, it will help with my energy level, and it will also help with weight loss. In theory, of course.

I don't have kids - I'm impressed by those of you who do, and can still handle school. Currently I live alone, but my boyfriend is relocating in January. I'm hoping this might help offset my to-do list a bit, as he'll help with household stuff. But it may also keep my on the sofa...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    How about a sitter for one hour in the morning? A local teen or young mom who would like a little cash, or who would trade-off with you for looking after their kids at a time when you are available?