Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Antidepressants - SRNI - staying in shape

Dear MFP friends,

I have been prescribed SNRI type antidepressants. I am already quite in shape and I have had a stable weight for a while now. Simply, because of MFP help, everything has been going well with my body since January and I have achieved my goal (with some classic and normal fluctuations).
I am kind of worried meds could ruin it all.
So please reassure me, if you have any experience. I mean - meds dont have CALORIES, so I wont pack on weight if I keep moving and eating healthy and normally, right? Its not like Im going to magically pack on weight while eating and exercising the same way, because of some med?

Anyway I will keep monitoring my weight (and mind...haha) situation closely!

Replies

• Hello :)

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but... just in case it will be... I'm currently on Mirtazepine and have been for over 4 years. Part of the reason (aside from the obvious antidepressant effect) I was prescribed this drug was to increase my appetite and help me sleep - at the time I had dropped to a little over 7 stone in weight (I'm 5ft 6in) which was far too thin for me. Since this time I have slowly increased my weight to 9.5 stones (heaviest weight was 10.5 stone).

The medication has given me an appetite - I'm almost constantly hungry, whereas I had absolutely no appetite before. I also believe that my metabolism has slowed a little - I'm not sure if this is age or medication related though!!

I think as long as you get regular exercise, and don't binge / constantly graze on sweets, cakes, biscuits etc, like I did, your weight should stay around the same.

My natural weight used to be around 8.5-9 stone, I'd like to get back to this, hence using this site.

If you're worried about the weight gain as a side effect of the antidepressants, speak to your doctor again, there are literally dozens and dozens to choose from, at least one is bound to be suitable for you :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Thanks for advice. I will see if this one affects me, and then I will change if I need to!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Effexor didn't change my weight at all when I was on it. Not everyone has problems with weight when commencing SNRI therapy. And if it does, you have the tools in MFP to change your diet to counter it.
  • Hey, girl! I have been on Effexor for depression for several years. Before that I tried others. I was up 50 pounds at the beginning of the year, but I've lost 40 of that with MFP and exercise. Lately Fitocracy has also helped a lot. I think you'll be fine...you've already got the fitness stuff down pat. The antidepressant will probably just help you stay on track, imho. If you ever have any questions, zip me a line here or on Fitocracy. I am a HUGE believer in treating depression...Life should be full of happiness and if your brain won't make the right chemicals, then I see it as being like any other illness. I am just glad there are treatments now...my dad had depression and there really wasn't any treatment until he was older. I swear by mine!
  • fnkygrl
    fnkygrl Posts: 46
    When I was taking SRNI antidepressants I didnt seem to have a problem with weight gain or my appetite and I managed to lose 15kg with healthy eating and exercise. If anything I think they helped me stay on track!

Good luck!
  • Hi. It all depends on the person really. I'm not sure if it is an SRNI, but I'm on Wellbutrin, which is supposed to be weight-neutral or cause weight loss (it's been weight neutral for me at least). Generally speaking if someone goes on an antidepressant, the weight gain may only be between 5-10 pounds, more so if you are already overweight. To someone already overweight 5-10 pounds may not be as much, but for someone who is 110-120, it's sure to be a noticeable difference. So if you do end up gaining a lot of weight, switch to something more weight-neutral. Best thing is to keep up with what you are already doing, it sounds like it's been working well for you!