Do stretch marks disappear eventually?

Options
Because I gained so much weight, I have developed red stretch marks all over my stomach...I'm wondering if anyones knows if they'll go away when I lose weight or will I have a permanent scar? :(. I am trying to lose enough weight to have a bikini body. I ended up 100lbs over weight. Does anyone know if they'll disappear or how to get rid of them?... :(

Replies

• jadieee123
    Options
    I don't think they ever disappear completely, but there are products out there that reduce their appearance :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I got a LOT of stretch marks in my pregnancies (more in my second than my first b/c I got 20 lbs bigger) - I can tell you with certainty that the color fades over time but they do not disappear. The skin that got stretched stays damaged to a degree but the angry color fades a lot. There are products that claim to help them fade more but IDK if they really help or if it's just the natural fading that comes with time. I'm sure you can find reviews out there for various products if you're interested. I've always heard the only way to ever really get rid of them is to have plastic surgery and get the damaged skin removed. (aka tummy tuck, etc)
  • gariettafalls
    gariettafalls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Stretch marks are actually scars in the skin. Losing weight will make them less noticeable but they will not disappear. There are various creams on the market....I can't speak to the effectiveness of them.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bio oil will help alot.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    i had some stretch marks that i got while pregnant with my first, that are faded enough to where you cant see them if your not really looking for them. I believe it all boils down to genetics.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i used aloe vera gel on the ones i got when i was younger, puppy fat and growth spurts were not kind to me, and they have faded quite a bit
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Sorry but they will always be there. Overtime they become less noticable as the red fades out to purple then to a little lighter or darker than your skin color. You can use cremes to speed up this process. I use the avon one and have had good results. I do plan on getting some professional treatment for them though eventually.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    They fade but no, don't disappear. Wear the bikini anyway! Bikinis aren't just for "perfect" bodies.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Nope but i'd rather look at stretch marks then fat.I view stretch marks like scars. They are forever.
  • tera7363
    tera7363 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mine never did, went from 100lbs to 160 durring my pregnancy 11 yrs ago & still have them. they get lighter over time (white-ish instead of purple/pink) I used Maderma for my stomach & it helped some but I think it's kinda pricy. My husband doesn't care about the stretch marks, he thinks it's womanly & sexy :p
  • siabevis
    Options
    Mine did. I made a mixture of vit e oil, coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, and palmers coco butter.
  • kikimichelle88
    Options
    They dont 100% go away but as you lose weight they kind of shrink back and fade. mine are very faint now only 10 months later. Bio oil helped me