Live in Colorado?

Options
I want to move there after I graduate. If you live there, what do you like/dislike about it. I currently live in Florida. I've visited CO a few times to ski. I want to move to either Denver, Colorado Springs, or Louisville.

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Lived here all my life.

I can't recommend Denver, only because I hate city life. :tongue:

Colorado Springs has some of the worst traffic in the states, but has some pretty hiking/outdoor areas around.

Louisville is a lot cheaper then Boulder, but still close enough to enjoy the mountains. :smile:

Can't beat the weather in the summer here either! :bigsmile:

Good luck to you!
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    I have lived in Colorado for about 5 years. I don't know why, but I adore this state. There is so much to do. In the summer you can kayak, swim, hike. In the fall you can ride your bike, hike and so much more. But what I love the most are the spectacular winters on the mountains and ski resorts. I don't know how to ski, only snowboard, so I am always there.

Denver is where all the free-spirited, yuppies and environmentalist and health nuts live! It's so grand. I'm still learning the ropes of the city. I studied here and just graduated from med school last spring and I love it. I prefer Colorado Springs better, due to the fact that there aren't so many people conglomerated in a square foot like it's here in Denver.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I read somewhere in a recent article that Louisville is like the best place to live in CO, and a great place for college grads. I guess because it's not super expensive?
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lived in Colo Springs for years and Loved it. The ONLY downfall was being so far from the ocean. btw, Colo Springs has the 2nd most lightning strikes annually in the United States ;)
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I have lived in Colorado for about 5 years. I don't know why, but I adore this state. There is so much to do. In the summer you can kayak, swim, hike. In the fall you can ride your bike, hike and so much more. But what I love the most are the spectacular winters on the mountains and ski resorts. I don't know how to ski, only snowboard, so I am always there.

Denver is where all the free-spirited, yuppies and environmentalist and health nuts live! It's so grand. I'm still learning the ropes of the city. I studied here and just graduated from med school last spring and I love it. I prefer Colorado Springs better, due to the fact that there aren't so many people conglomerated in a square foot like it's here in Denver.

Hm....Denver may be for me : ) Hah.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I lived in Colo Springs for years and Loved it. The ONLY downfall was being so far from the ocean. btw, Colo Springs has the 2nd most lightning strikes annually in the United States ;)

I've lived 5 minutes away from the ocean for my entire life. I'm ready for the mountains : )
  • Tobefitalways
    Options
    Hi..I used to live in Colorado for many years before moving down here for my job and really miss it..I recommend Golden, CO which is just on the west side of Denver. It is somewhat of a small town feel but you can take off and head into the mountains whenever you want plus lots of really neat hiking trails even close by. Scenery is gorgeous. Lots to do in Colorado...rafting, skiing, canoeing on beautiful lakes in the mountains. If you are an outside girl then you will like it..and the people are very fitness minded. Good luck!
  • Kmd200
    Kmd200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to Colorado too, is it true that asthma gets worse there? I thought it would be better because of the mountain air but I have been told otherwise. What do some of you think?
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I read somewhere in a recent article that Louisville is like the best place to live in CO, and a great place for college grads. I guess because it's not super expensive?

Ft. Collins is usually voted "Best in State" but that may be for families. It's a college town so there's probably good nightlife too. :smile:
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Hi..I used to live in Colorado for many years before moving down here for my job and really miss it..I recommend Golden, CO which is just on the west side of Denver. It is somewhat of a small town feel but you can take off and head into the mountains whenever you want plus lots of really neat hiking trails even close by. Scenery is gorgeous. Lots to do in Colorado...rafting, skiing, canoeing on beautiful lakes in the mountains. If you are an outside girl then you will like it..and the people are very fitness minded. Good luck!

Thanks! I fell in love the first time I went skiing there. Ah, I love it.
    I just need to get a job there!!!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've been all around the state for the last ten years. I love it. We're settled in Broomfield now, and if we go anywhere else, it would be Louisville, but only for the somewhat "smaller town" feel that Broomfield is slowly losing. Still love it though. Great weather, lots to do, and can't beat the views.
    It's funny, my husband is from Florida, and if he could find a job in his hometown he'd put up a fight to get me to move there. I might even give in, but I miss the ocean. Good thing his job pays so well, and keeps him in Boulder :)
  • audradanielle
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to Colorado too, is it true that asthma gets worse there? I thought it would be better because of the mountain air but I have been told otherwise. What do some of you think?

I really don't know?
    I feel like it wouldn't be as bad like you said because the air is more pure...well, depending on what part you're in. I always get headaches from the elevation for the first 2 or 3 days I'm there. But, I'm always there in the winter, too....so, I don't know?
  • Shannon023
    Options

My husband and daughter both have asthma and it does get bad in spring and the fall because we have such severe changes in temperature in a very short amount of time. The barometer drops does affect that.

The air is thinner here due to the altitude so be sure to visit before you make the move. :smile:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

The air is much thinner, so it's easy for out of towners to get out of breath really quickly. You do get used to it though. If it's a major asthma problem, I'd ask a doctor about it.
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Did I mention I'm so OVER the humidity here?! Ugh.
  • Tobefitalways
    Options
    I never had allergy problems until I moved to Houston. I used to live in the foothills west of Golden and the air was wonderful.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Quite the contrary. I have been a lifelong chronic asthmatic... I grew up in Melbourne, Australia... Moved to NYC, then Kansas in the U.S before Colorado (my husband is military) and since moving here I've barely suffered from any asthma. It does take some time to get used to the altitude (especially fitness wise) but once that's sorted, the clear air seems to be really great for asthmatics. I have found there are a lot fewer allergens here than in other states and although I still have some symptoms (during a virus, during heavy exercise and/or if I get too cold in the winter etc), I no longer require my preventer or my nebulizer.

Hope this helps.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lived here all my life.

I can't recommend Denver, only because I hate city life. :tongue:

Colorado Springs has some of the worst traffic in the states, but has some pretty hiking/outdoor areas around.

Louisville is a lot cheaper then Boulder, but still close enough to enjoy the mountains. :smile:

Can't beat the weather in the summer here either! :bigsmile:

Good luck to you!

Col Springs has some of the worst traffic? I'm not sure I agree with that, lol! I've driven all around the U.S (including crazy places like NYC and L.A - which has easily gotta be rated the absolute pits - and I would easily put Denver above Col Springs! Drivers create their own lanes in the winter when the snow obscures lane markings!) and I was thrilled to find when I moved here that I rarely get caught in any kind of traffic, peak hour insanity is almost non-existant (at least the type of peak hour that delays plans) and I can get almost anywhere in about 30 mins.

Nope, my only gripe is being landlocked AND the fact that if you're in Col Springs you have a couple hours to the ski resorts. Love it otherwise!!! A+++ for economical living too!