Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Options
I keep going over my protein for the day.. is this something I should be concerned about?

Replies

• BetteEdmonson
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. My doctor today didn't think it's a problem. I do see a Nutritionist next week. I'm taking my last two weeks' diaries for her to look over. Protein is the only thing I go over on but it's almost daily. I eat really well and take great leftovers for lunch at work. I will let you know next week what she says.

Bette
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that there is. I don't believe it'll have ill-effects, it just won't be as effective as eating the proper amounts.

In other words: those 30g protein bars are a complete waste.

Everything in moderation.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I keep going over my protein for the day.. is this something I should be concerned about?

Actually the amount suggested by MFP is a bit low so no don't worry about it.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Absolutely! Below is just PART of the info I found:

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

i hope this helps in some way. Here's the link where I found this info. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • damifino
    damifino Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with going over on protein. In fact if you are exercising it is recommended that you have about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily. I never get that close but I do have about 120 to 130 grams of protein daily. Protein boosts metabolism and helps muscles recover after a good workout. Just be sure to keep the rest of your diet balanced as well, with healthy carbs and some healthy fats.
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    To be clear, I'm not downing protein bars or shakes, just seem to be going over every so often. I'm not doing a low-carb anything either so they're pretty balanced in regards to each other. Thanks for the replies.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Below is just PART of the info I found:

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

i hope this helps in some way. Here's the link where I found this info. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

This article is awful.