Not new, just inspired

Options
Some of you know my story, some don't. I'll share the much abbreviated version with you. December 2008, i went into the hospital with a migraine. They gave me a med i was allergic to and i had a stroke. I was transferred to a local university hospital, and when the ambulance carrying me left, the drs. told my husband they weren't sure i'd survive the trip there. It was 25 minutes away.

I was a quadriplegic when i got there, didn't know the year, the president, etc. What did i know? My kids' and husband's names. I knew i should be able to move, but couldn't and didn't understand why. I knew i couldn't see my kids, and didn't know why. I knew my husband looked heartbroken every time he held my hand, but I couldn't feel it, and didn't know why.

I had 5 or 6 angiograms, a failed angioplasty, and 1 successful angioplasty. I had countless MRIs. I had a PIC line going from my arm straight into my heart. I had a catheter from the artery in my groin to the back of my neck.

I spent 9 days in the ICU, and 27 days total in the hospital. I have 2 stents in my left vertebral artery. All my hair fell out from the radiation i endured during the MRIs and angios. I left the hospital bald and weak, but i was able to WALK out of that hospital. I had intense PT, and within 7 weeks, I returned to work. I began couch 2 5k about 4 months after my stroke. I ran my first ever 5k 10 months, to the day, after my stroke.

I went back to the hospital for my 6 week check-up, after being released. The dr. came in, and asked me to walk down the hall and back. As i returned, i saw tears in his eyes. He said, "When i met you, you were a quadriplegic. 6 weeks later, you're walking like you never had any of this!" He was in utter shock. Just last month, i was released from my dr's care entirely. I'm on NO meds, and am able to do everything i could do before, and then some.

My children were 1 and 3 at the time. I didn't see them for the full 27 days, except on Christmas day, for less than an hour. I had the nurses remove all my oxygen, IVs and anything else they could see, so it wouldn't scare them. I was so exhausted after about 35 minutes, that they had to leave so i could have my oxygen again, and the IV meds. We asked everyone to NOT mention it was Christmas, since they didn't know.

Sorry, that was longer than I anticipated...

Anyway, here's my point: I am eternally optimistic, can find the silver-lining in any situation, and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I also love to talk dirty, have fun, and make jokes! It's the way i am. If you don't agree with me, talk to me about it. if you don't, i'm okay with that too!

Okay, I'm done now! Get back to work!!! :laugh:

Replies

• NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! What made you go to the hospital for the migraine? Is this an issue that you normally have/had in the past?
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow! What in inspirationsl story! Glad you're back to good health and making the most of it enjoying life. Cheers!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Wow!!! You are amazing. What an inspiring biography! I am so thankful that you are doing so much better!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    * Tears* Thank you for sharing. You inspire me. You are a testament to the power of positivity.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I just lover you so much :flowerforyou:
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! What made you go to the hospital for the migraine? Is this an issue that you normally have/had in the past?

I'd only had one migraine before, ever. I went in because they pain was literally debilitating. I first went to my family doc, who took one look at me and sent me to the hospital. They thought I had meningitis. Did a spinal tap, which was negative. I had the migraine for 9 days before giving me the med that gave me the stroke. it was DHE, for anyone interested. It's an old medicine they only give through an IV at the hospital.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I never would have guessed from seeing your posts here. What an amazing thing to live through and as a parent I hope I have the ability to deal so well should something like this ever happen. Thank you for sharing.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration!!!:heart:
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    what an amazing story.

thank you for sharing this with us
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    you are amazing, love.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I never would have guessed from seeing your posts here. What an amazing thing to live through and as a parent I hope I have the ability to deal so well should something like this ever happen. Thank you for sharing.

You would actually never guess to meet me in real life either. even people who were there for the whole thing have a hard time believing it! People I've met since then don't believe me most of the time. I show them my medic alert bracelet, and they still think maybe i'm lying! Until they get to know me, and realize that 's SOO not something I'd do!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am very happy you are here with us.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    FR on the way!!!
  • fesse02
    fesse02 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. A true inspiration
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I agree with contrarian. Thank you for sharing the perspective.
    Very difficult horrible scary unfair things happen as well as things that aren't so big. The key is what you do with what comes your way.

Thanks for not only thriving in your own recovery but also sharing and inspiring us.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What an amazing and inspirational story. Thanks for reminding me to never take my health for granted!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    You are such an inspiring individual. What an amazing story you have........I am truly happy for you :)
    Tomorrow I start my clinical placement in the hospital and your story motivates me to do something special for every patient that I encounter. Thank-you :flowerforyou:
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I read your story and I am sitting here saying to myself WOW. I just do not know what else to say. Your story took my breath away. I am so glad you came through that. Such strength and positivity is awe inspiring.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. very scary how things can change in your life at any moment without notice.