Need motivation

Options
Need some encouragement. Im doing shred on day18 today and I have lost inches. But the scale isnt losing. I know I read where people tend to gain the first week or so. I weighed yesterday and was finally back down to beginning weight of shred weigh this morning im back up 2 1/2lbs I mean really. I try not to get discouraged but with scales going up how can I not. Im over halfway through and scales still arent down. Need a boost or for someone to tell me they did the same thing.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches why does it matter what the scale says.

Weight is one measurement, why give it priority over how you look and feel?
  • jessvdm
    jessvdm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You might hear this a lot, but when you start a new exercise-especially a muscle building type, the scale may not budge due to muscle gain. You are probably still losing fat, but gaining muscle tissue, which weighs more than fat does. If you are losing inches but the scale isn't budging, this is most probably what is going on.
    All I can say is keep it up and don't dive into any cakes just because you are having a bad day (I speak from experience!) :)
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    The scales lie, trust me. If you are losing inches, that alone should be your motivation. There is one key thing you need to remember, muscle is heavier than fat. You are most definitely gaining muscle while shredding the fat, that is why the scale lies to you. Do not be discouraged by the scale, but look in the mirror and know your body is changing! I always use the mirror rather than the scale. Don't weigh yourself every day either.. Once a week is the rule.. the same day, the same time, a different week. I guarantee you if you weigh yourself every day you will go crazy :p!
  • StephW1990
    Options
    If you are losing inches why does it matter what the scale says.

Weight is one measurement, why give it priority over how you look and feel?

Totally agree ! :) good luck with the rest of the shred, I'll be starting tonight ahhh lol
  • justimmy22
    justimmy22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it's affecting you so much, don't weigh yourself till the end then you can get the final result which will probably be more encouraging. Don't give up, it'll be much harder to start back up rather than just sticking with it. Just think of how much better you'll feel at the end!!!!!!!!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight and the guy I train with keeps asking me how much I have lost, because he can see the difference. As you can see in my pic-I have built up some muscle. I do look very thin, but I haven't lost a lb in months. I am pretty sure it is just because I keep building muscle. I may take a month off and do a lot of cardio. I will lose some of my muscle tone, but it will take me down in weight.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    No one mentioned it, but you can gain a lot in water weight, too. If I don't drink *at least* 2 liters of water in a day, I can always expect to gain the next day--sometimes a couple pounds over night. Then, I drink enough water and the next day the 2 pounds is gone, so when you see major fluctuations in the scale like that, it is probably just water weight. Especially if you are adding in an exercise routine, you need to hydrate. Keep going with your exercise and the scale *will* work it's way down!
  • karentazdevil
    karentazdevil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I don't drink *at least* 2 liters of water in a day, I can always expect to gain the next day--sometimes a couple pounds over night. Then, I drink enough water and the next day the 2 pounds is gone, so when you see major fluctuations in the scale like that, it is probably just water weight. Especially if you are adding in an exercise routine, you need to hydrate. Keep going with your exercise and the scale *will* work it's way down!

I'm exactly the same but because i was becoming obsessed with weighing everyday i found that it dictated what mood i was in for the day... STOP...please... just use the scales (if you must) once a week or fortnight to keep on track but then you will see a much more accurate picture of your weight loss.

Us ladies will go through lots of changes in 24 hours...if you know you are doing ok with your food intake & exercise plan then don't let the scales be your reward or penalty! Trust that if you are putting the effort in you will see the difference. I think the best way of knowing how you are doing is by how you feel & look when you try clothes on, thats where i get my buzz.

Keep, keeping at it xx
  • karentazdevil
    Options
    S:smile:
  • karentazdevil
    Options
    :frown: Is it not possible to delete a post once you have put one on?? new to the site. Thanks
  • karentazdevil
    Options
    You might hear this a lot, but when you start a new exercise-especially a muscle building type, the scale may not budge due to muscle gain. You are probably still losing fat, but gaining muscle tissue, which weighs more than fat does. If you are losing inches but the scale isn't budging, this is most probably what is going on.
    All I can say is keep it up and don't dive into any cakes just because you are having a bad day (I speak from experience!) :)

Sorry guys but i do have to point out that on mass Muscle weighs more than fat because it is more dense, but 2lb of fat weighs the same as 2lbs of muscle the difference is that muscle is heavier by volume than fat and its much healthier to weigh more because you are muscular rather than flabby.

So a woman who weighs150 lbs with 20% body fat will look much slimmer and be healthier than a woman who weighs 150 lbs with 35% body fat. They both weigh the same, but their composition is different, because muscle is more dense than fat the woman who exercises will have less body fat and more muscle so will therefore look slimmer.
    Having a toned muscular body uses more calories in the body so its right that if she is working out & not seeing a weight loss its probably because she is improving her muscle density & will see a change in inches.

Hope you don't think im rude to comment, i just feel its something that should be explained as i know people who don't exercise because they don't want to put weight on, they don't understand how the body works when dealing with fat reduction & muscle gain.... cheers x
  • Christinaray
    Christinaray Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I am happy that im losing inches dont get me wrong. Just would love the scales to move. Ive already list a big bulk amount weight a couple years ago im just trying to get off that last ten lbs as they say. Thanks though for all tge pep talks.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard, but focus on inches. When I started Turbo Fire, I didn't really lose any weight until around day 25 I think, and then several pounds came off. Hang in there, your hard work will pay off.
  • jcposton
    jcposton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have watched you over the years, you are a beautiful person and have worked so hard to get where you are today. I am so proud of you and how you have kept your focus on your weight lost. You are and have shown so much encouragement to so many people over the last several years. You have and still continue to help others with their weight issues. Remember what you tell me "You can't go by the scales". Hang in their cause I still need your encouragement and help to keep me inline.