Russell's Homemade Muesli (Granola for our US cousins)

Options
Russell's Homemade Muesli (For Kelly and others):

You'll need one large plastic storage box.

Note that all the ingredients below should be raw/unsweetened if at all possible (or it ruins the point really!)

250g Wheat Flakes
250g Oat Flakes
250g Seeds
250g Chopped Dried Fruit
250g Chopped Nuts
100g Dessicated Coconut

If you can find them (I use Holland & Barrett) you can reduce the levels of Wheat and Oat flakes a bit, and introduce instead some Quinoa Flakes, Millet Flakes, Rye Flakes, Barley Flakes, Rice Flakes and Soya Bran in part. The variety is good for the diet, especially if you can find Quinoa and Soya. BTW, just a mixture of these grains also make a fab variation on standard porridge.

The seeds can be a mixture of your choosing, though I use Sunflower and Pumpkin as my base, with a few Hemp, Linseed, Sesame and Poppy for variety. Yes, hemp, but not the lumpy cigarette kind! Don't use too many poppy seeds, otherwise you'll be picking them out of your teeth all day.

It's best to use apricots or raisins for the dried fruit (as they have high levels of potassium), but again a mixture to your taste will be OK. If you buy them whole, cut them up with a knife, as if you chop them in a food processor it'll take you an age to clean it afterwards!

For the nuts, almonds or walnuts are best, though any (save salted of course!) are fine if you can't find them BTW, if you live near an Indian area, buy your nuts there, as they're much, much cheaper.

Though I don't use it in mine, the dessicated coconut is in the recipe for a bit of sweetness, as anyone going cold turkey from their more usual Crunchy Nut Cornflakes would put them off this recipe for life without it. You could also use a splodge of honey if you need to, but never, never sugar!!

Enjoy!

Replies

• STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I may have to try this out. I love Muesli! Thanks for the recipe!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, Thanks for the post.:drinker:
  • KelCanDoThis
    KelCanDoThis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Russ your a genius. But I received your email with the link just as I walked OUT of asda lol
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Russ your a genius. But I received your email with the link just as I walked OUT of asda lol
    Next time. In the meantime you'll just have to settle for the Coco Pops (that's a joke everyone!)
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    And LOOK at your ticker - 16 pounds lost overall! Yay!!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    can you make this for me and mail it? ill pay for shipping and handling :)
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    As you've said 'shipping and handling' rather than postage and packing, I'll assume you're in the US. As I'm in the UK, the cost would be more than the muesli itself, so you'd be better off sourcing locally methinks. And in addition US customs would read 'hemp' on the package and grass me up (pun completely intended) to our boys in blue.

Of course, you were actually joking right?
  • alirae75
    Options
    Looks great! I am going to have my boys (ages 4 & 7) make it with me. They might eat it if they help!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    As you've said 'shipping and handling' rather than postage and packing, I'll assume you're in the US. As I'm in the UK, the cost would be more than the muesli itself, so you'd be better off sourcing locally methinks. And in addition US customs would read 'hemp' on the package and grass me up (pun completely intended) to our boys in blue.

Of course, you were actually joking right?

buahahahaha - yes i was joking. yes, i'm in the States. and yes, i said it cause im so damn lazy...anything with more than 5 ingredients in it, i'm lost...and the whole converting from grams to ounces has me scratching my head :D

it looks yummy for sure!!

you guys saying postage and packing?!why cant we all just agree on one thing? shipping and handling means the same damn thing :) LOL
  • talia25
    talia25 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How many serves does this normally do for you?
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't know about in the UK, but stateside, I buy Bob's Red Mill Muesli. Bob's is an organic line. It's got almost the same ingredients you mentioned, and tastes great! (For those who don't want to mess with making it themselves.) Keep in mind that it's pretty calorie-dense, though. So while it's very nutritious, you can't eat a lot of it. I find mine in the local grocery in the organic section, and my local military commissary carries it as well.

I love Meusli! Thanks for the recipe. I may try this sometime.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    wheat flakes...didn't even know they existed. I'll have to try this!