Nighttime Bathroom Trips?

Options
I am hoping one of you can help me solve this mystery.

I drink a lot of water. That is all I drink, and I drink it all day long. As a result, I pee a lot! However, during the night I am not drinking loads of water, I keep a glass next to my bed but just take a sip or two all night.

So WHY do I always have to wake up to go to the bathroom around 5 or 6 am? It's usually a very intense need. THEN...(this is the real mystery) I go back to sleep and wake up again a couple hours later with the same urgent need. WHERE is this water coming from?? I haven't drank anything in about 9 or 10 hours!

I work out a lot, and have heard that muscles hold water after exercise. Could it be that my muscles are releasing water? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    oh, I've been like that for years. 14 to be exact. Ever since I was pregnant the first time. :(
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    oh, I've been like that for years. 14 to be exact. Ever since I was pregnant the first time. :(

Well, it would be a miracle if I were pregnant, so it can't be that! ;)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I'm the same. I think it's the kidneys playing catch up while we sleep.
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    It might just be a result of the fact that your brain is in hibernation mode, so you're storing up (so to speak) all of the bathroom trips you *would* have been taking if you had been awake, even if you weren't currently drinking water. Maybe? I have heard that it can take your body a while to adjust if you increase your water intake, which I am working on now...?
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    This occasionally happens to me as I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, so It happens throughout the night If I let my sugars run high! I don't know why for you but understand the annoyance of the trips haha
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Try drinking less water close to bed time. I have to usually get up once in the night myself, so I am only offering a suggestion.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Yep, same problem... I'm up usually 2 or 3 times. And lately I've found that even during the day, when it hits... I gotta go NOW! Kind of annoying, especially grocery shopping, or at work. No answer for ya, but you're not alone. :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Same happens to me .. and I drink a ton of water during the day and not much at night but still wake up to pee, lol
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    One trip per night would be awesome. I am usually up at 12, 3 and 7.
  • maryd523
    Options
    I guess there's no real answer then, huh? I have been trying to curtail my water intake in the hours before bed, but that is usually when I eat dinner, so I am always thirsty!
  • future_hottie
    future_hottie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem Only i am not up at 5 or 6 am i am up 5 or 6 times a night with that urgency that I havent been for hours. It interupts my sleep and I HATE IT =(
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same with me also. I'm gonna guess that it's just our body's rhythm kind of like getting sleepy at a certain time of the day. If it's a really huge concern, you may want to consider cutting back on the fluids earlier in the evening and see how it goes. The way I see it, I have two "alarm clocks" at the ready. If I don't start my day with the first I will with the second.

:laugh:
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and retaining water in my legs, I would wake up an hour after going to bed and have to pee - urgently! I found out then that when you're laying down or have your feet elevated, any fluid you are retaining in your legs is able to more easily be processed by the body. So it very well could be that your body is processing the water that your legs were holding onto because of exercise and flushing it from your system.
  • mbaker81
    Options
    I have same issue, but if I drink anything after dinner its like 3 or 4 times at night. so drink more water earlier in the day :)
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    When this happens to me it's usually a sign that I'm going to lose weight that week.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My friend's daughter used to wet the bed and her pediatrician said something I thought was interesting. She said that your bladder is similar to a sponge. It fills up as you drink all throughout the day and then even though you don't drink at night it is still full of liquid and squeezes out all night. She recommended that my friend have her daughter drink her liquids early in the day and stop at 6pm to give time to empty out before bed. It stopped her bed-wetting. Maybe a similar plan will help you not have to go as much at night.
  • maryd523
    Options
    My friend's daughter used to wet the bed and her pediatrician said something I thought was interesting. She said that your bladder is similar to a sponge. It fills up as you drink all throughout the day and then even though you don't drink at night it is still full of liquid and squeezes out all night. She recommended that my friend have her daughter drink her liquids early in the day and stop at 6pm to give time to empty out before bed. It stopped her bed-wetting. Maybe a similar plan will help you not have to go as much at night.

That is very interesting. I always thought of the bladder as a bag that is either empty, partly full, or full. I didn't realize it soaked up water. Thanks!
  • maryd523
    Options
    When this happens to me it's usually a sign that I'm going to lose weight that week.

I like!!
  • SusanWinters
    Options
    Also check your blood pressure...I have read it can be a sign of high blood pressure too.
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    Same problems here too. I do have high BP and take medicine for it an a water pill. Drinking later in the evening makes it worse though...sometimes I have trouble getting my water in during the day and pay for it during the night...