is weighing myself every morning bad

Options
im weighing myself everyday and im loosing weight then staying the same then putting a pound back on then losing again, not really sure why because i been really good. i have been hungry and not eaten my full allowance , which is 1200 could this be why? or is it because im weighing everyday.. i suffer from lot of bad water retention and on lots water tablets so this doesn't help me.
if anyone could help be very grateful. take a look at my diary and give us a shout if u know where im going wrong.
thanks for your time and happy counting.
have a lovely day x

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Bad?No! But you might lose motivation when you see the scale fluctuate due to water retention. Rather do it weekly on a empty stomach =)
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Our weight fluctuates for many reasons, and knowing this should make you stress less about the daily ups and downs. Perhaps you should start weighing weekly? If not, maybe you can just start averaging your weight loss/gains rather than see it as ups and downs- you will see a trend overall.

Good luck!
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    if you weigh yourself every day you will go crazy. Do it once a week the same time and the same condistions. I weight myself Thursday morning when i get up. Your body goes up and down depending on water retention and other things. Follow your calories do your work outs and adjust weekly to get your to your goal if not you will never get what is right because you will be adjusting all the time.
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    If you're finding it demoralising then yes it is bad.

Those weight fluctuations are probably just water retention and nothing to worry about. I personally weigh myself everyday as I like to know I'm on the right track, but I factor in added water and don't let little gains worry me.

Most people on MFP will recommend weighing once a week but it is totally your choice and what you feel comfortable with. :happy:
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend twice a week.... Every day might discourage you, but if you wait an entire week and you're doing something wrong it'd be better to catch it earlier....
  • clares06
    clares06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi, i think you should only be weighing in once a week(easier said than done though!), i am also a scales addict! but your weight will fluctuate from day to day, you should do it same dayn and time each week, this would be more accurate. are you doing your measuremants too? this is also a good gauge of your progress. youve lost 7lbs, which is fab, your obviously doing something right!x
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    I agree with this. Twice a week sounds good, but don't get discouraged. What others say about the different reasons for fluctuations is valid, especially water retention. Don't be so harsh with yourself, really. It takes time, patience, and doing the right thing for yourself to get yourself on the right track. Best regards in your endeavor!
    I'd recommend twice a week.... Every day might discourage you, but if you wait an entire week and you're doing something wrong it'd be better to catch it earlier....
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    NO......NOT IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!! Do not listren to people who say you should or shouldn't weigh at any particular interval. Try varying it....daily....weekly ....less often....until you find what works for you.
    We are all different physically and emotionally and you need to find out what works for you!
    I weigh every day in the morning and am used to the natiral variations.....so it works for me but it doesn't for many others.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day, but I don't record them all. I strength train as well, and understand that it makes my weight increase simply due to water retention. I see the scale move up, but only record when it drops down. I typically record once or twice a week. I know I am sticking to my calories most days, so I have no worries about the weight actually truly increasing. Weighing myself daily is how I am able to recognize these changes and how my body reacts to training sessions and no matter wether it goes up or down, it motivates me to stay on track.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I would say that you're too far under your daily goal. It's best if you try and eat back all your exercise calories - MFP has done the calculations so believe what it says when it tells you what you have left. If you don't feel comfortable eating them all back then give yourself 100 or so calories to allow for over/under estimation in your food and exercise. Enjoy your food - that's the great thing about MFP - it's about losing weight healthily so if you exercise you can eat more :-)

Also, I would suggest drinking more water - it really does help.

Weighing yourself everyday isn't bad - it's how you react to it. I tend to get on the scales everyday out of curiosity but I don't beat myself up over slight fluctuations - they'll always happen. If you find it does get to you then just give yourself a pat on the back for doing everything right and remember that the next time you get on them it'll probably be down again! Do only have one 'official' weigh in a week/fortnight/month though and use that as your baseline for each week.

Good luck!
  • Gail3260
    Options
    if you weigh yourself every day you will go crazy. Do it once a week the same time and the same condistions. I weight myself Thursday morning when i get up. Your body goes up and down depending on water retention and other things. Follow your calories do your work outs and adjust weekly to get your to your goal if not you will never get what is right because you will be adjusting all the time.

Sorry but I have to disagree with your first sentence.......it works for me and I am not crazy!!!! I only log the weight once a week and I understand the reasons for the natural fluctuations so I don't fret or make adjustments because of them. Please remember that what works for you may not for others.
  • Gail3260
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day, but I don't record them all. I strength train as well, and understand that it makes my weight increase simply due to water retention. I see the scale move up, but only record when it drops down. I typically record once or twice a week. I know I am sticking to my calories most days, so I have no worries about the weight actually truly increasing. Weighing myself daily is how I am able to recognize these changes and how my body reacts to training sessions and no matter wether it goes up or down, it motivates me to stay on track.

Well said.....I agree 100%
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month! Stops me getting obsessive about my weight and just take each day as it comes.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing if you realise your weight WILL fluctuacte whether you've been been "good" or "bad".
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    You are a woman. Do not weigh every morning. Do not weigh after eating high-salt foods. Do not weigh during ovulation period and do not weigh during menstration :) I have learned this all the hard way. Can be a real bummer if you lose 2 then gain 1 but actually did not gain because of retained water. Also, eat all your calories. Even if you eat over a little bit, it is set up to lose weight regardless at 1200. If you eat 1250, you will still lose weight, just not as much. Keep trying and do the weigh-in once a week in the morn except for that one week a month :)
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options

Sorry but I have to disagree with your first sentence.......it works for me and I am not crazy!!!! I only log the weight once a week and I understand the reasons for the natural fluctuations so I don't fret or make adjustments because of them. Please remember that what works for you may not for others.

Well good thing i was not ordering her to do it. It is just my view only. Thanks for your feed back. Like you said everyone is different.
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessive. I weigh myself daily but I record it in excel and make a graph from weekly averages. For me it works better than weighing myself once a week
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to but it passes nothing wrong with it thou x
  • kevneedham
    Options
    If you accept that your weight may fluctuate, then if you weigh yourself only once a week, you may see it at the top of the fluctuation. What you might not then see is the next day you dropped weight. This could lead you to believe that you're not losing weight, even though you are. In my opinion, its better to weigh your self more frequenetly so you understand the peaks and troughs. I weigh myself every morning, as soon as I get up. If I haven't lost weight, I dont get disheartened, and accept that to lose weight every day is not going to happen. If I have lost weight, then I log it in MFP. Works for me!

So I say go for it, weigh yourself every day, but manage your expectations. Be happy when you lose weight, but if you put on or don't lose weight, don't be disappointed but look forward to the next morning when you weigh yourself again.
  • talilakay2
    talilakay2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, I just can't help it! I do find that my weight fluctuates by a pound or so each day, but it is gradually going down. Don't let it bother you too much, if at the end of the week you have lost.

Don't let yourself get hungry, you should eat your full allowance of 1200 calories a day. I started off on 1200 a day, and I lost 5lbs very quickly, then realised i was tired, grumpy and not very happy (even though i was losing weight). So I have just upped it to 1360 a day, we'll see how that goes...There's no point in being thin and not being happy! Plus, if you're under-eating so much, you may be doing your body more harm than good.