Menopausal women can lose weight

Options
walbro
walbro Posts: 33 Member
I am 54 and have been going through the menopause for two years. Weight has gradually creeped on but since joining the biggest loser programme at the gym along with myfitnesspal on Saturday 24 September I have lost 8 pounds. I feel so much better. Who would have thought calorie counting would be so simple! I have also added in more exercise. There really are no excuses! :happy:

Replies

• fabalas_seanne
    Options
    well done :) so great to hear how happy you are .. Keep it up :)
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes you are right!!! I am 32yrs old and many many years post-menopausal, I started going through menopause at 18, crazy I know!!! I have lost 38lbs (18kg) So yes it sure is possible, good luck and keep up the good work :happy:
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Pinky67 - great post. I love positive quips as well. My favourite is "Attitude more than Aptitude will determine your Altitude"! Along with "If you think you can, you can; If you think you cant, you cant".

381bs loss is a tremendous achievement. Well done.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's so so true! I started menopause suddenly about 18 months ago after cancer surgery to remove all my bits and pieces and was not only told I might gain but that it was virtually inevitable.

Hog wash I say! I'm about 4 months in and well on my way... no more excuses needed!!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You are so right. My GP told me 18 months ago that weight gain was inevitable and I shouldn't worry about it so I didn't. I wish I'd realised sooner that she (yes a female doctor!!) was wrong and I would have started on MFP a lot sooner.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried progesterone cream? I was gonna try it as I also have fibroids and heard it helped to shrink them but wondered if it would help balance hormones too as I seem to be oestrogen dominant.

I've also seen a weight loss thing called Puriance for women thats meant to compensate for hormone inbalances and help you lose weight by stabilsing hormone levels?
  • littlemount
    Options
    So inspirational,I am 49 years having menopausal symptoms. The weight is going down only in 0.3- 0.4 lb increments.Since I have found this site I have decided to stick with it till I lose this weight.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It never even occured to me that the menopause might be a factor. I just felt I was eating too much and not taking enough exercise! The fact that I am losing weight now makes me wonder about the "inevitability" anyway.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi Im 41 and I had surgery in 2005. I have had been putting on weight ever sence. Last night I was looking at some old pictures, and WOW I never wanted to beleave how heavy I was. But the only thing is that pictures dont lie. I have been eating better and exercising 3 times or more a week. And the weight is coming off. I have lost 22lbs. I have to just stick with it and we all will get to where we want to be..
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just have to say ladies...that we are all awesome! :bigsmile: This is not an easy topic to deal with, I have had to use alot of self acceptance, to deal with my age when going through menopause, and with my body shape. I know it will never look the way it did when I was 18. But I am dam well going to be the best and healthiest me that I can be. Without self acceptance I couldn't move forward on this weightloss journey I'm on...instead I will face my fear, and do it anyway!!! :love:
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am peri menopausal and since the start of August have lost about 7.5kg/16lbs. So yes, add me to the list of women who have been doing it!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes! 21 lbs here...and it is a LOT harder than in younger years. I have had to change the way I eat...even though I generally at healthy stuff before. That was not enough. Exercise alone didn't work. Adding in portion control didn't work. Both used to work a few years ago. It can be done. It has taken a long time...since March. But those pounds are gone for good!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am peri menopausal and since the start of August have lost about 7.5kg/16lbs. So yes, add me to the list of women who have been doing it!
    Me too!!
    Success at 50 - 10kg Gone for good!!! It CAN BE DONE!!
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes you are right!!! I am 32yrs old and many many years post-menopausal, I started going through menopause at 18, crazy I know!!! I have lost 38lbs (18kg) So yes it sure is possible, good luck and keep up the good work :happy:

This made me so glad for this site. I went thru (surgical) menopause at 21. Glad to hear of others who had to go thru it at a young age too. I gained 50 lbs in about 2 years during all this, so I can attest menopause DOES make you gain weight! But this site has helped me change that trend!

Share the love ladies! We can all do this!!!!
  • biggirl8862
    Options
    So glad to hear that it can be done. The weight seems to be coming off very slowly, but all the stories of success give me hope. Thanks for sharing.
  • KayeRichards
    KayeRichards Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So glad to see that results can be achieved, even if slowly. Needed to read and feel really encouraged, thanks heaps everyone!:drinker:
  • KayeRichards
    KayeRichards Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Me too!!
    Success at 50 - 10kg Gone for good!!! It CAN BE DONE!!
    [/quote]

So cool, at 52 with about the same to lose, I feel inspired!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You inspire me, ladies.

I was able to drop 72 lbs in 8 months at the age of 45 (perimenopausal) at an average of 2 lbs per week. That's the good news. But the bad news is that after maintaining for two years, I managed to gain half of that back at the age of 49.

But now that I've turned 50 (and menopausal), the weight isn't coming off on the same calorie and exercise regime. Yes, I've lost 22 lbs; but it's taken 11 months-- an average of 2 lbs per MONTH rather than the 2 lbs per WEEK of 5 years ago. Very frustrating.
  • sharonana
    Options
    This is exactly the group I have been looking for. :happy: I have been menopausal for about 6 years and packed on about 35 pounds. I lost 15 and have kept it off. I have been stuck at 160 and tried without much success to lose 20 pounds.

I read about this site on the 17 Day Diet facebook page. That diet didn't do a thing for me either. It was so discouraging reading how others were losing 10 pounds in a week, and I can't even lose one.

So I signed up here, and hopefully this will help...counting calories and exercing. I set my goals very low...only one pound per week. I figure it took me many years to gradually put on this weight, so it's not going to come off overnight.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that I feel the same I am 51 and it is so very hard to loose could I see your diary to see what you are eating and how much, mind you I am in Canada and you have different things there then here...ha ha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!