i needs cakes

Options
Heya guys right

Need to do a bit of research, ive opted to make cakes, but i'm a funny old soul like to make stuff everyone can have but there is a challenge.

I need a cake / dessert recipe that is ALL of the following

vegan friendly [no eggs]
citrus free
gluten free
and dairy free [friends lactose intolerant]

okay any offers?

Replies

• DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Wow that's asking alot..LOL let me see what I can find..
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Karina's Chocolate Truffle Cake

This is a wildly decadent chocolate cake. Perfect for serving on a special occasion when you have gluten-free guests. Gluten eaters won't miss the flour one bit. And gluten-free folks will feel pampered beyond belief. It's win-win. Tip: Make it the day before you serve it.

Ingredients:

1 cup whipping cream
    2 1/2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
    1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons bourbon vanilla extract* or see notes
    7 organic free-range eggs
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Organic cacao powder with maca, for dusting

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the inside bottom of a 9-inch Springform cake pan with a circle of parchment paper. Wrap a large piece of foil around the outside of the pan, covering the bottom and sides, to catch any leaking drips. Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan, gently heat the cream over low heat. When the cream is fairly hot, melt the chocolate chips by adding them slowly to the pan as you whisk. Add the butter, in pieces. Whisk until the chocolate and butter are melted. Add the vanilla extract. As soon as the mixture is melted, smooth, and glossy remove it from the heat.

Using a wire whisk attachment, beat the eggs, light brown sugar and sea salt until the eggs are foamy and doubled in volume, roughly 3-4 minutes. (This is where a KitchenAid stand mixer comes in handy.)

Slowly add the cooling chocolate mixture to the eggs, and beat gently until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.

Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for one hour, until the cake is set and cracked. It will still appear a bit loose in the center, underneath. This is fine.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. When the cake is close to room temperature, lightly cover and chill the cake overnight.

Before serving, gently loosen the cake from the sides of the pan using a thin flexible spatula. Release the Springform clasp and remove the ring. Place the cake on a cake plate.

Dust the cake with a sifting of cacao powder with maca.

Karina's Notes:

After chilling, and before serving, allow the cake to sit out for a few minutes before you serve it- to achieve the best satiny texture.
    I've made this recipe kid friendly by using a good vanilla extract for a kick of warm vanilla flavor. For serving adults, you could use your favorite orange, coffee, or even raspberry liqueur instead. Tune into your taste buds and make them happy.

Serve with fresh berries in season.
    Vegans and dairy-free folks like me- don't be sad. I'm working on a dairy-free version for us.

Cook time: 1 hour

Yield: Serves 12-16
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Gluten-Free Coconut Layer Cake
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 9-inch cake pans with a circle of parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups tapioca starch or potato starch
    1 cup brown rice flour
    1/2 cup sorghum flour
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
    2 teaspoons xanthan gum
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Add in and beat:

3 free-range organic eggs, beaten, or egg replacer
    1/2 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
    1 14-oz can organic light coconut milk
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract

Continue to beat until smooth. It should resemble a slightly thick and sticky cake batter.

Using a silicone spatula, divide and scoop the cake batter into the two prepared cake pans and spread evenly. Use wet hands, if necessary, to smooth out the tops. Bake in the center of the pre-heated oven, side by side for 33 minutes, or so, until firm and springy. A cake tester inserted into the center should emerge clean. Cool on a wire rack. Make the frosting.

Coconut Frosting

1 cup dairy-free butter flavored organic palm shortening
    1 teaspoon pure coconut or vanilla extract
    1 pound powdered sugar
    1/4 cup coconut milk

Option:
    Grated, sweetened coconut for topping

In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening and extract till combined. Add in the powdered sugar and half the coconut milk, and beat till smooth. Slowly add the remaining coconut milk, as you need it, a little at a time until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.

When the cakes are cool, gently remove one from the pan and peel off the parchment paper. Trim off the domed top if you like, using a serrated knife, to keep the cake layer even. Brush off any crumbs. Center the first layer top side down on a cake plate. Frost the layer with roughly 3/4 cup of icing. Remove the second cake layer from the pan and peel off the parchment. Trim the dome top, if you like (brush off any crumbs). Place the layer on top of the frosted layer. Scoop about a cup of frosting onto the top of the cake and spread it evenly to the edges. Begin adding frosting to the sides of the cake, spreading it evenly over the sides. Clean off the frosting spatula under warm water and dry it off. Smooth the sides by turning the plate as you hold the spatula firmly in place. Clean off the spatula with warm water again, dry it, and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with grated sweetened coconut, if desired. Allow the frosting to set, or chill briefly, before covering and storing the cake. Makes one 9-inch layer cake.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

Dense, sexy chocolate deliciousness on a plate. This is such an easy recipe, especially if you use a food processor to do the work. Serve this to non-gluten-free folks with no apologies. None. Zip. Nada. And for gluten-free folks? Hand out seconds (we deserve it, don't we?).

16 oz. Belgian dark chocolate (or use your favorite dark chocolate bars)
    1 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup organic white cane sugar 3/4 cup very hot strong coffee (or use espresso powder in very hot water)
    2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
    2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder
    8 large organic free-range eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract- yes, a tablespoon!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 10-cup Springform pan by lining the bottom with buttered parchment

Note: Using a smaller cake pan will result in a longer baking time; adjust accordingly and keep an eye on the edges; if it browns too much while the center is still wet, wrap edges in foil; or if you are using a smaller pan, try placing it inside a warm water bath as Dorie Greenspan suggests.

Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and pour the chocolate into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until the chocolate breaks up into small bits. Add the sugar. Pulse until the chocolate and sugar turns into an even, sandy grain.

Pour the hot water or coffee slowly into the feed tube as you pulse again. Pulse until the chocolate is melted. Magic!

Add the butter pieces and the cocoa powder, and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, and process till smooth. The batter will be liquid and creamy.

*Note for cooks across the pond: One stick of butter here equals 8 tablespoons, or one half cup, 4 oz.

Pour the batter into the lined Springform pan. Wrap the outside of the whole pan with a big piece of foil. Bake at 350 degrees F in the center of the oven, till puffed and cracked and lovely - about 55 to 65 minutes. Note - it took an hour plus 15 minutes here at high altitude. Use a wooden toothpick to check the center of the cake; pick should emerge clean, with maybe a crumb.

Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool. The cake will deflate. Don't worry! When cooled a bit, press down on it gently with a spatula to make it even, if you wish. Or not.

When the cake is completely cooled, cover, and chill it for three hours (up to eight hours) until serving. Release the cake from the pan. Slice and serve.

Serve slices with drizzled chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Add a few fresh berries or mint leaves to the plate, if you like.

Yield: 15 slices
  • magickclaire
    Options
    They all have eggs in them,

You can goto Holland & Barrett and get egg replacer though, infact get that, use it, make this

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/01/dark-chocolate-brownies.html
  • matty_timelord
    Options
    i think i can do that :)
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    take a boxed cake mix any flavor u like and 1 can of diet soda. bake according to box (does not use the eggs or oil)

my fav is

yellow cake with diet sprite
    devils food with diet coke
    funfetti with diet cream soda
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    They all have eggs in them,

You can goto Holland & Barrett and get egg replacer though, infact get that, use it, make this

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/01/dark-chocolate-brownies.html

Actually they all don't have eggs one doesn't and you can use egg substitute in place of the eggs as its says in the one recipe as a matter of fact that's the website I went to to get the recipes...
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I read on my bag of flaxseed that you can use that as an egg substitute. 1T ground flaxseed, 3T water, then let sit for 2min. Never tried it, but it is an option.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello try chocolate covered katie she is vegan so has lots of cool egg and dairy free recipes, you could use ground almonds for the flour to make a cake
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Try this:

Find a recipe that you know is good and then substitute:

Soy milk for the lactose intolerant
    Almond or coconut flour instead of wheat flour for the gluten free
    Use pumpkin instead of eggs and oil

That covers it all -- just don't make a lemon cake!