Hi, I am Courtney and I want to lost 13 lbs so I can make th

Options
csparon
csparon Posts: 200 Member
I had a 3.11 GPA in college, I completed 74 credit hours and I was determined to graduate with a Bachelors of Science in Human Communication – however life does not always go as planned.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances with my family I had to move 2 hours away from my college and actually support myself. I am 20 years old and I got my first apartment on the outskirts of Atlanta, GA. I have it fully furnished and I am able to pay all my bills – however finishing college looks pretty much out of the possibility for me.

My boyfriend of over a year is joining the United States Navy and going to Basic Tranining on December 14, 2011. I have always been interested in the Armed Forces as I love America and everything it stands for. However, I never saw myself as that type of girl. I have always loved Victoria’s Secret, Bebe and pretty much anything pink and frilly, Camo and boots never seemed appealing until something happened.

My boyfriend brought me with him to one of his DEP (Delayed Entry Program) meetings where I met my recruiter. The moment I walked in the office and saw the pictures of Navy Personnel, Navy Ships and even how many ribbons, badges and flags some of them had on their uniforms. I wanted to join that day. I know they will fund my education, will provide me with an awesome career and it will be something that I will be apart of that’s bigger than myself.

The only problem? I was ~20 lbs overweight – for them. So far I have lost 7 lbs, and I have 13 more to go (wanting to lose by the end of this month). I would love to meet new people who have their own motivation to lose weight. Everyone has a reason, what’s yours?

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    that sound super amazing..such an inspiration, but 13 lbs in about 3 weeks ? kinda pushing it..i wish you the best of luck in your weight loss, and military career..
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My reason to lose weight, is to feel good about myself and wear fashion clothing. Good luck on meeting your goal and career.
  • csparon
    Options
    Maybe 4 weeks, I am working out like crazy in the gym, I just need to make that mark by the beginning of November when I plan on going to MEPS or the Military Entrance Processing Station. If I am overweight, they will take a BMI and that will determine if I am eligible or not. To avoid that, I want to reach that mark. I am hoping that since I lost the first 7 the rest will come off fast, it took me two weeks for the first 7lbs. Thank you for your kind reply! :)
  • csparon
    Options
    Good luck to you too! :)
  • dilo7406
    Options
    Hi Courtney!

My name is David and I have lost over 70 pounds since may! I weighed a whopping 350 at the beginning of the diet, and I am down to 276 and still going strong! That being said I will be wishing you the best in your weight loss. When I drop all the weight (my goal is 193) I will most def. consider joining the Army or Navy. Anyways, keep us posted on how your doing! GOOD LUCK!

David
  • Mrsmynhier
    Mrsmynhier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!!! You CAN do this! I am much bigger than you, I need to lose well more than 20 pounds. Let me tell you what worked for me my first week and I lost 10 pounds. I stopped drinking EVERYTHING EXCEPT WATER!!! Being a fairly small girl anyway, it may not work for you.
    Don't give up no matter what you do. You are 20 years old!! Complete this goal. Join the military, it will be one of the best things you could ever, ever do. You will gain so much from the experience. You may enjoy it so much, that could be your lifetime career!
    Don't starve yourself, just watch your intake, drink lots and lots of water. You can do this, I have faith in you.
    Good luck, go get it.......
  • csparon
    Options
    Hi David,
    WOW That is amazing! Congratulations to you and your accomplishment! And I think you should join the Navy! :D Hooyah!
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, that means you are building muscle mass. You are probably losing more of the fat than you think you are, so a BMI test might actually be your best friend :) Muscle weighs more than fat, so don't get stuck on what the scale says. Maybe start taking some measurements and you might see your changes differently.
  • malakod
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here too. You're goals are really admirable, best of luck to you! For me, getting in better shape is a great exercise in discipline, as I'm sure it'll be for you.
  • meldickman
    Options
    Hi Courtney,
    My name is Melanie and my goal is 20 lbs as well. I related to your story because my oldest son had a similar experiance and is now 2 years into the Navy Reserves. He will go active after 2 more years. He is 21.
    Add me as a friend if you want and keep me informed on your progress.
    I wish you the best of luck with your goal. I know you will reach it!
  • Mrsmynhier
    Mrsmynhier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO David! Anyone can add me as a friend! Have a great day everyone.

Mary
  • pattynava
    pattynava Posts: 331
    Options
    Welcome......I come from a military family...literately someone in every generation joins one of the branches....I think that is pretty awesome that you're wanting to join, and wish you the best of luck in your weight loss and your career.....So from someone that you will one day be fighting for my rights, and freedoms....THANK YOU...for your sacrifice!:flowerforyou:
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! Everyone loses a little faster at the beginning- from drinking more water and reducing sodium among other things - so 13lbs is totally possible. Getting it to stick will be a longer journey, but the Navy will be an amazing influence and motivator to continue or maintain your weightloss. Good luck!
  • csparon
    Options
    Mrsmynhier: Thank you for the tip, I absolutely LOVE Coke and Sprite however, they will be there after a few months of nothing but water. A friend of mine suggested this site to track my food intake and it is helping out a lot. I am drinking shakes for lunch and breakfast and depending on what this site says I need nutrient-wise, I will plan my dinner. Thank you for your kind words too, they really, really mean a lot to me :)

mblanchard0625 : That's what Austin (my boyfriend) told me but I had a hard time believing him, thank you, it really helps to hear that from someone else because this is really the first in my life that I have started hearing things about muscle mass and how it helps with fat burning. :)

malakod: Nice to meet you and thank you, good luck to you and getting in shape as well! :D
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can do anything that you put your mind to. I think your strength & dedication shine already just by you following your heart let alone serving our Country.

I will support you in every way I can to help you reach this amazing Goal. I just sent you a friend request.

Time & weight loss are what you make it, I lost 60 pounds in less than a year b/c I woke up & thats all I thought about. I took no mercy I was sore & still went running,..On sick days I still worked out. So Courtney You can achieve this goal & you will.

I cant wait to see how you do LOL
    I want to also THANK YOU, for your future duties to serve our country. You are quite the person people like myself need & admire.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have some admirable plans! I LOVE the Navy (almost as much as the Marines) - the corpsmen took great care of my Marine daughter when she had pnuemonia and again when she broke her hip. Unfortunately that sent her home with a medical discharge and she is now back at college.

Not to sound too much like a mom here....but consider finishing your degree in the Navy. You never know what is in store for you in the future. They have some great education programs. Okay...end of mom mode:)

Good luck to you. I know you can accomplish your goals!
  • csparon
    Options
    I am trying to respond to all of you - I had no idea how many great people were on this site! I should have joined sooner! :) I am sending friend requests to all of you too if I haven't received one because I want to follow you guys on your goals too!

pattynava: I am the first in my family to join the Navy - my cousin is in Army Infantry. However my mother had the hardest time coming to acceptance with my decision as I am her only daughter. But my dad, who has three girls is all for it. Thank you to your family for the generations of service they have provided to this country.

limismith : Thank you for the tips, I am trying to reduce sodium and sugar too :)

nikki778 : Thank you for the support! I will add you as a friend, your kind words mean a lot to me and I can't wait until I reach this goal so I can sign up!

ktfitzgerald : I am sorry about your daughter being medically discharged. You don't sound too motherly for me, I understand and I want to finish college because I really want to be an officer, I am looking toward the field of Cryptology, my ASVAB AFQT score was a 76, average according to my recruiter is a 45, Navy accepts a minimum of 50 :)
  • MDfour
    MDfour Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm losing weight to join the Navy too! I have a lot more to go than you though - about 30 pounds to be solidly under their max for my height. Good luck!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Im also in the dep I leave for the navy jan 4 2012 I started trying to get in shape because I want be able to do good in basic I had gained about 5 lbs since going to memps and was already at high end for my hight and weight Im 5'4 and i was 160 (my max weight)when knew i need to make change if i was going make to basic training but what has help the most is c25k I couldnt run at all before started doing it and the 30 day shred help to be able to do push ups and situps Like you im also a girly gril so I am joining so can go back to college I couldnt afford to keep going so I really understand were you come from
  • csparon
    Options
    MDfour and Mizzladylisa : I think that is so awesome that we're all wanting the same thing. Lisa - congrats on your ship date, I probably will not be going to basic until mid next year because I am sure you know, you have to wait a while after signing your contract. Was MEPS bad? Or is everyone just hyping it up?

MDfour - That's only a little more than I am doing and if I can do it, you can! Add me as a friend and we can support each other if needed!

I wish both of you ladies the best in the Navy and maybe one day we will be on a ship together :)