Good time for an outdoor 1K?

Options
Hey, I'm new here, firstly. So hi :3

Just wanted to ask your opinions on my latest outdoor 1K time: 5 mins 27 secs. (My goal is to run 5K in under 30 mins one day, but my legs hurt today so I did a 2K run in 11.43.) If it helps, I'm 5'7". Tips for improvement? I think I'm catching the running bug. Thank you!

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it =) you will eventually get there. I started in July struggling with 2 miles. By mid August I was doing 5k pretty easily. I'm up to 10k now.
  • RunMickey7
    Options
    Do you do interval training? Practice running slower and then pretty fast for about 20-30 seconds and then jog back down. Also, if you could work with a running coach (I've even looked up stuff on YouTube!)--there is great information on working on your technique such as your arm position and foot strike that may help you shave down some time and have less chance of injury. There are basic running plans online from Hal Higdon that can give guidelines about speed workouts. Good luck on trimming down your time! Keep stretching! Because your muscles are going to be getting fired up! :
  • eightyninepounds
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You're all so helpful! :3