Before pics - motivation or hindrance?

Options
I am just starting my exercise regime, getting fit since I'm TIRED of being out of shape. I took some before pictures to shame/motivate me into working out and getting fit. Also, I can track progress.

Do YOU think before pics are a good thing or bad for your exercise motivation? Does it spur you on to work out, or make you feel like quitting?

Thoughts?

I was brave and posted my before pics on my first blog entry. I hope it's a help and not a hindrance to me ... :)

[my first blog entry, hoping to get fit in this next year, who's with me?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jambondan/view/starting-my-fitness-challenge-october-11-2011-157483

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Personally, it serves as motivation! Never thought of it as a hindrance. :-D

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    100% motivation. Being skinny-fat sucks.
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think it is great to have before pictures. When I did mine it made me really realise just what I was dealing with I just didn't realise how big I was. They aren't pretty but once you get started and take more and see the progress you are making it definitely spurs you on. It's also good to see just how far you have come. As we see ourselves every day we don't see the little changes so photos are good for that. Just think in a years time looking back at them you will feel such a sense of achievement. The only hindrance I think they would have is if you take them too close together and don't see a change. Remember it does take time but it is so worth it in the end, and if you really want to change you will. Good luck with your journey.
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    No doubt, motivation. When the scales aren't budging you can look at the fat pics... I do!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I forget about them for a few months after I take them, until I take them out to compare the current pictures. So it is motivating to see the progress.
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    The photos that people have posted of me on facebook recently are a pretty big motivation.

My weight loss is really slow, but I am now motivated by how much fitter I feel - I've got back the bounce I've not had in years. I stand taller and I feel happier. You can tell the difference in the progress photos of everyone - their face and body smiles the closer they get to healthy weight.

I've changed my diet now and count my calories - and that means when I do have birthday cake, I prepare for it by exercising beforehand and control how much I have based upon how much I can afford to have.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find them motivating, especially as huge as I was!
    I hope you will find that true for you too!