How can I get more Protein?

Options
keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
I never seem to hit my protein goal which is quite high - 106g.

I KNOW that eating more of it keeps me fuller for longer but I just don't know how to get it in there without going over my calorie allowance (1410 a day).

I would be happy just to hit 100g of protein every day.

I have started buying bars but they are so expensive- please look at my diary and feel free to make suggestions.

I usually exercise at least times a week by the way, just this week I am having a 3 day break due to work etc

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bump to get some tips! x
  • alexfaty
    Options
    Bump, I need some ideas on this one too.....
  • bsgillkc
    bsgillkc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Excellent sources of low-cal protein include fish/seafood, greek yogurt, beans, and lentils. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein powder
    protein bars
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    low fat cheeses
    low fat milk
    Edamame
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    legumes
    lean meats
    eggs
    egg whites
    etc.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with almonds added. Egg whites with ham and veggies in the morning. Lots of chicken breast with a little cheese. Hard boiled eggs.

I aim for 25-30 grams of protein per meal and then if I am short, I add a protein shake at the end of the day with some ice and frozen fruit in it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    egg whites are full of protein and very few calories...

as is white meat chicken with no skin...i love to just bake a few chicken breasts at the start of the week and then pull them apart and put in a container in the fridge for a snack wrapped in some lettuce with some other vegies and a little spicy mustard...

protein shakes are always goood...i love Myoplex Lite...the ready to drink ones are only 170 calories and are not expensive if you get them online...

tuna is also a good source of protein...not too many calories wrapped in some whole wheat flat bread with some salad...
  • Scarlett_S
    Options
    Oh, and SUSHI! The ahi tuna and spicy tuna rolls can have up to 40 grams of protein each and are delicious. Add a side of edamame.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    oh i can think of a few creative ways....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of a fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder after my work outs. post-work out i'm not hungry for solids, but i'm definetly thirsty!
  • Scarlett_S
    Options
    One more thing - there is also unflavored protein powder you can add to yogurt and soups and such. Its a good boost.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    nuts
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    A protein list:
    Yogurt
    Beef
    Chicken
    Pork
    Fish
    Tofu
    Quinoa
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Beans
    Broccoli
    Asparagus

What I've been doing is eating some low-sodium sausage links, protein bars, and fortified cereals like the Kashi brand. Protein is a tough one, but certainly manageable. I hope to improve in this area, while keeping the sodium down as well. Good luck!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    oh i can think of a few creative ways....

I've heard great things about nut butter and the protein it contains.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey to up mine and I have a protein shake after working out. I also eat almonds. x
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nuts

:giggity:
  • seastreifel
    Options
    I add a side of egg whites to some of my meals to boost my protein. And I've found greek yogurt, Liberte Plain Fat Free to be an excellent source of protein- you just need to add things to it so it tastes good ;)
    I recommend mixing a tbsp of almond butter into the plain greek yogurt and then add berries- makes for a delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even snack.

Also, I didnt have a chance to look at your diary so I don't know if you eat meat, but adding a cup of chicken breast to a salad is a HUGE boost to your protein and depending on what you put in your salad, the majority of your calories will come from the meat with very few grams of carbs or fat.

Best of luck!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of a fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder after my work outs. post-work out i'm not hungry for solids, but i'm definetly thirsty!

Defo, I had a yummy one today.

I always add a banana and either strawberries/blackberries or some pure fruit, no added sugar jam. Today I added peanut butter as well to boost my fat and cals intake.
  • garymenace
    Options
    protein shakes, you can get many different kinds so best to shop around. They can be added to yoghurt, cereal or just water/milk good for 26-45g a serving depending on the kind. Protein bars tend to be way more expensive and less filling in my opinion.

Egg white omelette, I use six egg whites and a splash of skimmed milk. (25-30g protein and about 100kcal)

Chicken, turkey and fish (lean cuts of meat) are really good sources of protein as well.

=D good luck
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    nuts

:giggity:

lol!!!