Being sick and working out - Cold Remedies

Options
For the last two days I have been coming down with a cold and I feel terrible.

Does anyone out there have any home remedies to get over a cold ASAP? Also how do you feel about working out with a cold? My symptoms are fever, headache, running nose, and sore throat.

Replies

• MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you have a fever you need to rest until the fever breaks. Once you are fever free you can return to working out and it will actually help kick the cold...Robitussin cough and cold always works great for me a long with plenty of rest!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah a fever is more than a cold. You're already catabolic when you have a fever, so give yourself some time.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The best thing I say you can do is workout because that sweats out the cold! I've done it before so now I swear by it=)
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just had this cold, but without the fever. I did some light exercise, like walking at a normal pace. Also, my chiropractor did some pressure point stimulation on my sinuses, and I feel like that cleared out my congestion right away. You can do it yourself, just use your index fingers to poke rapidly at the spot between your eyebrows, at your cheeks just off the sides of your nose where you can feel it start to cave in (that's the one that helped me most). Hot tea with honey for your throat, and a nelirinse or neti pot 2-3x per day to help clear your nose. I hope you feel better soon. I'm just finally getting my voice back after a week.
  • Determined1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your advice is greatly appreciated
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you're working out at home then I don't see any harm in doing a low intensity workout.

If you're working out in a gym, I'd urge you to stay home out of consideration for other gym goers.
  • claire_mant
    Options
    If you can handle spicy food, this thai chilli broth works wonders! It unclogs your sinuses and something about the chilli seems to scare the cold away:
    Ingredients
    Chicken or vegetable stock (enough to feed whoever is suffering, 1L for 2-3 people I guess)
    Chopped birdseye chillies to taste - seeds removed (I have used 12 for 3 people, the heat shocks and you cough and splutter for the first couple of mouthfuls but it gets rid of the cold!)
    a stick or 2 of lemongrass
    a few kaffir lime leaves
    grated ginger to taste (I use a thumb sized piece)
    crushed garlic to taste (I use about 3 - 4 cloves)
    greens of some kind - kale would work, as does pak choi or spring greens

Method
    Pop everything in a pot and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes to allow all the flavours to steep.

Serve on it's own or with sticky rice balls to dip in.