Battling your period & weight

So I am just wondering if anyone has any tips how to not go overboard during your period?? I know when I have mine I feel like I want to eat everything that is in site!!!

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I get salty cravings during that TOM, particularly potato chips. I'm finding that Special K Cracker Chips are a good alternative. Lots less fat and less calories. It's hard because I think those lovely hormones we have just conspire against us! I chew a LOT of sugar-free gum, too!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Bump--the chocolate cravings are eating me alive at an alarming rate.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    I just let it happen. I actually purposefully up my caloric intake by 100-200 calories because I know I'm going to go over anyway. It's really easy to go overboard, but you can curb the cravings some times. For me, my weakness during that week is pizza & chocolate--so I never deprive myself of it, I just have a couple of slices & eat a chocolate bar.

It's more about moderation during that week, but it's kind of hard--especially if you're starving. I try to find "healthier" alternatives to snacks so it won't be so bad. Like instead of having potato chips, I'll get crackers & cheese instead (takes away the salt craving).

I also try to fit in a little exercise, too. Not as heavy as usual, but something like a walk or light jog. Exercise seems to make the craving disappear for some time.

& I always gain something in water weight during that week (usually 1-2lbs) but it's lost just as quickly as it came.

Hope that's at least encouraging, if not helpful. :P
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    I have the same problem! I find myself putting food I don't need in my mouth and spitting it out. What is wrong with me? I'm trying to drink water instead. I am feeling hungry, too, and am not sure that I really am since I am getting adequate calories and balanced meals.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214 Member
    This is my problem this week! I am eating 1500-1600 calories/day and I'm eating well. It's not like they're empty calories. But I am STARVING hungry and have had such a headache. I never have that ravenously hungry feeling like I have this week, which I guess should tell me something. But I had two cheat days this weekend and I was concerned maybe it had reset me somehow. I guess it's just that time of month. I have done SO well avoiding potato chips for the last 7 weeks, but yesterday I thought I'd kill for a can of Pringles and a double-helping of dinner. I did check my calendar for last month and I marked "Severe Appetite" around this same time.

I like the suggestion in one of the responses to just ride the wave but not go overboard.
  • sj915
    sj915 Posts: 16 Member
    i am soooo bloated and feel so incredibly FULL all the time! i step on the scale every day and even if i work out every day of my period i seem to feel heavier and look heavier on the scale! how can i just get rid of my period all together?!?! (jk jk)
  • I've read that women burn more calories during PMS.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/jan2000/hormone.html

Also, if you are craving chocolate, what your body needs is magnesium. Eat more broccoli! :)

http://www.herbalanswersforhealth.com/pages/weightloss/chocolate-cravings.php