Thyroid disease

Options
I have hypothryoid disease. I just started back on my medicine. Before I went off because I did not notice a difference in the medicine, untill I gained 65 pounds in 4 months. I am back to dieting, being healthy, and taking my medicine with a new dosage. I am frustrated in how slow the weight comes off and how easily it went on. I have been eating healthy for the past 5 days, working out, keeping busy and the scale has not moved, even slightly.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED! Also, feel free to add me I could always use support!

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    when did you start back on your meds? It can take a few weeks for your body to get back in whack (that is the medical term in case you were wondering lol). I have it too, and it is much slower getting back into your system.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    also, have they checked your adrenal gland function? I was told that I would have to take meds for my thyroid but they got a false read because my adrenal glands were not functioning properly. B complex support totally pulled me out of it.

Just sharing....
  • Lroppolo
    Lroppolo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo for about 12 years now and I can tell you its a struggle. Generally it takes about a month for the meds to saturate your system and about 3 months of consistently taking it before you feel any kind of change. its very easy with this disease to gain weight and a struggle to lose it, but it can be done. I feel like I need to work harder than the average person to get rid of the weight. Just make sure you are putting good food into your body, getting plenty of exercise and rest too! I go see my doctor every 6 months. there may come a time when your medication will need to be adjusted as well. Also, ask your doctor to check you for Vitamin D deficiency, which seems to be common with people who have low thyroid and can also hinder you from losing weight. Good luck!
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    My wife has hypothyroid and is on meds too, she also loses weight very slowly. I know she gets frustrated, but to her credit, she sticks with it, exercising 3 times a week at the gym and eating and tracking her food. i don't have any advice to make the journey easier for either of you, I just try to be an encouragement to her as much as I can. I'll send you a friend request and will try to encourage you too. Good luck and stick with it.
  • witchymama77
    witchymama77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I was going great then stopped taking my meds.. dr just called me in a script cuz i'm super low again.
    It is soooo frustruating how slow the weight comes off. But how quickly it comes on. NO FAIR man!
    But we just have to be extra diligent and it does take a few weeks for the meds to kick in. I think it took me like six months the first time...
    hoping it doesn't take that long this time!
    I also agree... check your vit d.. mine are always super low too..
    good luck girl!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    SINCE GOING GLUTEN FREE MY THYROID PROBLEMS HAVE ALMOST FIXED THEMSELVES. I TESTED AT A 9 AND HAD BLOODWORK DONE LAST WEEK AND AM NOW AT A 1. SO YEAH, BIG CHANGE. TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. I AM WORKING ON GETTING OFF MY MEDICATION COMPLETELY. I TAKE 50 MCG OF LEVOTHYROXIN DAILY.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight for no reason and had some symptoms that the doctors thought were caused by low thyroid. Unfortunately, it ended up being a tumor on my pituitary gland that was screwing up my estrogen and prolactin. We all know that women generally gain weight during or after menopause because of lowered estrogen and mine was very low. Anytime hormones are off, it can drastically affect your weight. Until my hormones were under control, it took far too much work to lose anything. It takes a lot of patience and working with a good doctor, but you'll get there and get your thyroid in line! Good luck!
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid... well back in Nov of 2010 anyways:-) I did have a weight gain but I've always been overweight so I didn't realize that the jump was due to the thyroid malfunctioning. Anyways, they figured it out and put me on the hormone & I was on that for a solid 6 months before I decided to begin trying to actively lose weight. They had my dosage figured out by Feb so it was about 5 months of that before I started technically. I had time to let my body get used to things and since I've started I've been losing steadily... I've lost every week since June 6! I usually have a big week and then some small or normal ones. Like some weeks it's less than a full pound lost but it's still a loss, I haven't gained yet. I think you just need to give your system time to get that hormone in and working as it should and you will see results too! I've lost 48 pounds so far so it can be done:-)
  • cahndoit
    cahndoit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found out that I have Hashimotos (causing Hypothyroid) in May. I am at 50 mg of the levothyroxine. I am definitely frustrated with how easy it is for me to gain weight, and that it is a struggle for me to lose ANY. I am looking for support too....

:)Ariel
  • UABUncleSam
    Options
    fitflores I'm on the same medication and if you are on 50mg you might wanna go back to the Doc and ask him WTF. lol. it should be 50mcg which is what I'm thinking you meant, but just in case you might want to check that. At this moment in time I am on 100mcg and I have finally started to stabilize. I know it's difficult to lose weight and extremely easy to gain it. It really just sucks. I will tell you though it is going to always be a constant struggle with losing weight. If the Doc is confident that you are on the proper medication dosage then it's time to start researching. Doctors won't tell you everything associated with that drug. Yes it does help by putting that hormone back into your body; however after long periods of supplementing any hormone your body will stop producing any of that hormone being supplemented.

That being said, when's the last time you got checked out to verify that the dosage is still good? Every six months you should be going back for checkups/bloodwork unless your start to become more tired and what not. Which is a good sign that the dosage isn't correct. Tiredness is also a side effect that tells you that the drug is being inhibited by something else as well. While on Levothyroxine you CANNOT have any caffeine, high fiber food i.e fruite and veggies, wheat breat etc. So it comes down to pretty much meat, which can be very difficult to even get to your calories required. Unless you are having fats to boost those calories up.

You'll always fight the tiredness, just nowhere near as bad by following what I just stated. Drink plenty of water, cut out the fruits and veggies, eat lean meats and have carbs. Still look at the moderation and calorie intake though. Soon enough you'll be feeling a lot less tired you'll start walking and getting out there and wanting to do all those things you've been wanting to. I go and walk a good 6 miles or more every day and on the weekend...hit the big hike of 12 miles or more. Then enjoy a grilled steak (preferably rib eye) and know that you've done great! Our weight won't drop any where as fast as someone who's thyroid operates effectively, but it will drop and just be happy knowing that you as an individual are doing everything it is that you can do. It will start to work and life will be better.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Oh by the way if you decide to do the whole walking thing and you have a smart phone take a look at a program called Endomondo. It's free as well and it will track where you walk and tell you the cals that you burned. It's a great asset to have along side myfitness pal. It's always good to see results from every possible aspect.

-Dave