Not another running question (just curious)

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
For those who run often, whether in training for a specific race or just for fitness, I'm curious if you ever work on things to improve your run outside of the typical types of training runs? I guess more accurately do you work on form, stride, breathing, or staying relaxed?

Or do you just run?

Last night's run I was all about staying relaxed & fluid, without overthinking it. Smooth stride, smooth arms, relaxed breathing & let the pace fall where it may. It was a nice change in focus to think about something other than my exertion level & what pace I am running. I do things like this from time to time & wonder if others did.

Replies

• shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    LOL...I'm just focused on running more than 5 minutes continuously without dying. :smile:
  • dianaskin
    Options
    LOL...I'm just focused on running more than 5 minutes continuously without dying. :smile:

ha ha ha ha! :) Good one.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just focus on not when I can finally get off the treadmill :)
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes. It gets too boring if I just run.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started running in January of this year with the C25K program. So, I'm not a "long time" runner. Right now I'm training for a half-marathon. I've worked on the following things:

-Form: practice on landing on mid-foot instead of my heels. Also worked on my posture and arm swing.
    -Breathing: practiced on breathing appropriately.
    -Cadence: I worked on 170 bpm (beats per minute).

I also went to a running store and took a class on "good form running," which is why I was working on the above things. It really helped me focus on what I needed to make improvements on.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I just run. I run however I want too. If I want a good time, I will try to push it, but I don't over think everything. I do what feels good.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    uh sometimes when I have a set workout, I constantly count check my watch and try to count how much long til it is over. But honestly, sometimes when I run, if I start thinking about something that actually takes brain power, I can just go into auto mode, and I run faster & straonger because i'm NOT thinking about it.
    It happened to me yesterday, I started adding up my miles in my head (doesn't sound that hard, but I got lost in it), and for the last K of our workout, I just beasted it without even trying or really even knowing... I was just running

I find that I do worse, the more I think about the actual running part!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I focus on form. You should from the beginning because it's really hard to break bad running habits.
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    I try to use this relaxed approach when I go for a long run but unfortunately after 16 miles I suffer so much that NOTHING will bring me back to my original posture and state of mind lol However I recover very well until the next day thank God for that!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I do weight training as well. I find the extra muscle helps when I need to burst.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying Rybo. I do this too. Some days I turn off the gadgets and listen to breathing and focus on form. I also get wrapped up in pace and time, but have found it good to sometimes just relax and think about other things, like form and breathing.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do all of the above (form, stride, breathing, relaxation). I think that if you're in training for a race that those things are key to making your body more efficient in running, which allows you to become faster. Obviously interval training and fartlek type workouts are great to improve speed, but being able to feel relaxed and feel comfortable with good form will help improve your energy efficiency. Also, taking the focus away from pace and exertion allows you to have recovery runs, which are much needed...we can't push our bodies through grueling, gut-wrenching workouts everyday. I think it's great that you change up your focus now and then to get those types of runs in....it can be a very difficult thing for competitive runners to do that!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    once a week I will just run without worrying about my pace or time. I just run and let my mind wander. Those are usually the best runs for me.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Last night's run I was all about staying relaxed & fluid, without overthinking it. Smooth stride, smooth arms, relaxed breathing & let the pace fall where it may. It was a nice change in focus to think about something other than my exertion level & what pace I am running. I do things like this from time to time & wonder if others did.

I do this regularly- particularly on long runs (right now long runs are 7-8 miles).

I also like to have a little fun with my runs outside so on a shorter run I will pick a point far enough off in the distance and sprint for it. Pushing as hard as I can. Jog for a little bit (doing the above mentioned technique of relaxing the breathing and body) when my breaths are coming normally again I find something else interesting in the distance and sprint for it. I'll mix and repeat this for a 3-4 mile run. It's a nice variation of HIIT.

My other new past time is running a small local park. I'll run to the park (about a mile), the circumference of the park (.25 miles) stop and do a calisthenic exercise of some sort 20-50 of whatever I pick (Push-ups, burpees, jumping jacks, lunges, squat jumps, box jumps on a bench etc..) sprint the circumference of the park again, do another round of a different exercise and repeat. I do this 8 times and then run home. It's another great way to work speed and mix it up.

Happy Running!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I consider running to be my mental enema. I just run. I don't worry too much about my form, how much my arms are swinging, I rarely think about my breathing (other than, I'm glad to be doing it). I do sometimes incorporate intervals, fartleks, and such, because I want to improve my 5K time. Great post.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    No matter what, I always focus on my breathing so I never feel like I'm dying, lol!

Sometimes I want a quick, hard run.
    Other days I want a slow, long run.

Aside from that, I do stretches and various other calisthenics and strength training to help my joints be stronger yet more flexible. That's important to keep me pain-free.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am still working on getting my endurance up. My focus is not to overtrain - I do that ALL the time (past) and end up with injuries - this time my goal is to slowly get in shape and then work on speed (via hills, intervals, and more) and strength (core mainly )
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I usually just run. Need to work on a better plan, honestly. I'm not getting any faster.