Lunch On the Go

Options
cmpace
cmpace Posts: 30 Member
Im becoming very annoyed. I didn't bring my lunch to work today. First time since I started this journey. I've been looking online at all the fast food websites (I know, fast food isnt good, but its the only thing around) for their nutrition information. IT IS CRAZY! Sandwiches... from Jimmy Johns, even Subway, that are almost 1000 calories!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Johns has an unwich--without the roll. Subway, you can do a salad with a piece of plain chicken on it, no cheese, no croutons! Its possible, you just have to make changes and tweak things.

Also, you can go to a grocery store and pick something up fresh as well, like a salad in a bag.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Johns has an unwich--without the roll. Subway, you can do a salad with a piece of plain chicken on it, no cheese, no croutons! Its possible, you just have to make changes and tweak things.

Also, you can go to a grocery store and pick something up fresh as well, like a salad in a bag.
  • mbrownks77
    Options
    Subways 6 in. subs aren't bad as long as you don't use cheese or mayo......They have several lowfat/low calorie options. I ususally pair it with an apple and am good to go :flowerforyou:
  • moon_light10
    Options
    Sub-way do a lite version of their sandwiches, or u could always get a salad bowl from there,
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Grillled chicken sandwich from McD or Whataburger - around 300 cals. Make sure to say no mayo.
    Salad with vinaigrette dressing also under 100 cals.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Subway subs....slightly over 300 calories. Veggie Delight is my favorite.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Subway ham and turkey salad. I have it with half the ff ranch pouch, and comes to 380.
    Im becoming very annoyed. I didn't bring my lunch to work today. First time since I started this journey. I've been looking online at all the fast food websites (I know, fast food isnt good, but its the only thing around) for their nutrition information. IT IS CRAZY! Sandwiches... from Jimmy Johns, even Subway, that are almost 1000 calories!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, not sure if you watch your sodium or not. Subway is full of sodium! I love Jimmy Johns and they are horrible! The best is to go to a grocery store that maybe has a salad bar and create your own salad?
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You can stick w/ just a basic turkey on wheat w/ or w/out cheese at Subway and load up on the veggies. I never add mayo to my sandwiches. I prefer a bit of yellow mustard and light oil and vinegar.

Never heard of Jimi John's, tho...if you have a Chickfila near you, you can get a chargrilled sandwich and a side salad or splurge a bit like I do and have a small carrot and raisin salad to go with it :) Their chargrilled salads are not bad at all, either.
  • fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    find someplace that has salad. I don't think Subway salads are bad....but the meat is high in sodium so maybe just get a veggie salad or very little meat.
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    california tortilla is great- but will be high in sodium
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's not that bad... No cheese, no mayo/dressing, no croutons on salads. You can do it. Even if I got to MickeyD I will get a 4 piece nugget and small fries or a grilled chicken sandwich no mayo. As long as you fit it into your calories for the day you should be fine. If you get something a little heavy on the calories, then eat a really light dinner!
  • jfarmer1226
    jfarmer1226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do Subway when I need something healthy and fresh. I do the chicken breast 6 inch sub on wheat bread....and only add veggies. No mayo, No cheese...just a little salt and pepper. It's about 350 calories according to their site. Also..is there a grocery store around you? A lot of better grocery stores do rotisserie chicken breasts and they have vegetable sides. Or they do sushi rolls....which are still higher in calorie depending on what you get....but still much better than a burger at McDonalds.
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    HI! I treat myself to a subway every week because I LOVE it... I don't know whether it's the same as it is in the US as it is here in the UK, but I alwys have a 6" Turkey Breast and Ham on wheat with ALLLLLL of the salad, no cheese and if i'm feeling like I deserve it, some light mayonnaise... it all works out at 266 calories which I think is pretty good!

http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/subs/lite-subs/default.aspx
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    Subway's Chicken and baby spinach salad is only 130 calories, 2.5 g fat, 10 g carbs, and 20 g protein. Opt for sweet onion sauce instead of dressing for 40 calories! Plus you can load it with as many veggies as you want
  • mischyfishy
    Options
    My favorite sandwich from Subway is a 'Egg White & Ham' 6-inch on wheat with cheese and Frank's Red Hot. The egg white and ham give you lots of protein, the wheat is better than white simple bread and the Red Hot gives me flavour without all the calories and fat of mayo.

Good luck!
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Is there a grocery store nearby where you could grab some hummus & veggies ?
  • cmpace
    cmpace Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think it's going to be Subway. That's what I was thinking, but I was getting incredibly frustrated in my search. :noway:

There is a grocery store near by, but the last time I did that option, by the time I got back there was barley enough time to eat.
  • maryann2381
    Options
    I would personally go the grocery store route. That is what I do when I am tempted at least there I have healthier options and the grocery store here is close to a Panera bread but I can usually get more for my money anyhow (at the grocery store).