fruit/veggies & gas

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
So I am finally attempting to get my daily reccomended servings of fruits & veggies, and today I have HORRIBLE gas! It's a little embarassing, as my desk at work is in a place where a lot of people walk through from many different departments :S

Is this a problem for anyone else? Anything I can do about it? Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I find I get worse gas when I eat fresh vegetables - the frozen ones don't make it nearly as bad! Maybe try Beano?
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Gas X worked for me.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I started to take probiotics and it really helped - after a week.

Good luck!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and veg are likely culprits i'm afraid! but try to persevere because you should adjust to it....if you don't and/or it becomes painful you should see your doc.
  • akcouick
    Options
    certain vegetables are worse than others, I know broccoli is supposed to be a bad one to cause gas...
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same for everyone, and it won't help right this minute, but once my body got used to getting the proper amount of fruits and veggies it went away. I never tried any of the over the counter "remedies".
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ohhh i thought it was only me well its good to hear others are getting this too lol
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It gets better once your system adjusts to it - I promise! And don't give up, we should be eating mostly fruits and veggies to get the nutrition our systems need. Maybe bring some air freshener or some scented oil and reeds to work to mask the scent for a few days?
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know, terrible right?! My hubby & kids have threatened to do me bodily harm if i don't adjust soon! I rarely have this issue unless i up the fiber in my diet.... i'm kinda enjoying all this torture i can hand my family back for a change:) LOL
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't quit with the fruits & veggies...the gas will pass! :bigsmile: Sorry...couldn't resist. In all seriousness, it will. Once your body gets used to the increase you will find that the gas goes away. I went vegan over a year ago and it cleared up within a week. As suggested, beano or gas x should help during the transition. :wink:
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your body does get used to it! I now only get bad gas when I eat rubbish! Just drink plenty water and blame it on someone else!! ;)
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your body does get used to it! I now only get bad gas when I eat rubbish! Just drink plenty water and blame it on someone else!! ;)

yes this is me too....love the tip btw ;)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I've been eating clean since 2005 and my body HAS NOT adjusted. I get painful bloating when I have cruciferous vegetables, high fiber grains, or beans. Is it really advisable to just keep taking beano for the rest of my life. These foods are healthy, so I can't figure out why they make me so uncomfortable. Seems like bullsh!t to me.
  • Cherielady
    Options
    I went vegan this past February. The first couple weeks it was AWFUL. It got a little better,but I still get gas more than I'd like. :-S Fortunately, I work at home though. :happy: